Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Omikron done properly seems like it would mostly just be Watch Dogs: Legion with a different setting and recruitment mechanic.

That's definitely not a game that could have been made with the tech and budget available to Quantic Dream at the time though. A more realistic alternative would have been to make it more of a pure adventure game than a genre hybrid which ended up being bad at all its genres.

Of course that's easy to say since it's the path Cage took with all his future games.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

As I mentioned, Lahoreh is pretty much all puzzles. Horrible puzzles that no-one should have to figure out for themselves.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1416800716425998337?s=20

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

These feel more like tedium simulators than puzzles.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

'puzzles' amounting to simon says and "look up some random trivia for me"

also your muffled voice is my vote for best voice so far

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Okay, even given that this was twenty years ago and we all had better attention spans back then, there's no way I had the patience for puzzles as bullshit as these. I must have used a walkthrough for this part.

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

also your muffled voice is my vote for best voice so far

:same:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I'm actually surprised they dodged the "dead man walking"-scenarios involving "losing" the necessary body for a given quest, but unsurprised that they then implemented a "dead man suffering"-alternative moments later.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

The hunt for the third jewel is o- oh, it's just lying on a windowsill like a fragrant apple pie.

(this one has my personal favorite opening skit)

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1417887230526464001?s=20

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For a highly repressive totalitarian government, they sure left a bunch of elevators to ancient magic sites just kinda everywhere.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
I don't really have any good comments on the latest episode, just... so many baffling decisions... but your great production values are, well, great, again!

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

davidspackage posted:

(this one has my personal favorite opening skit)

Man, I'm glad I don't have a glitchy instant-death trigger volume in my hallway.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

We're close to the end. Just gotta traverse a boring underground city, commit an unspeakably vile act and then disturb the peace of the dead.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1418972453758455811?s=20

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Cool how you're now a two-year-old savage cave woman shooting ghosts with a policeman's gun.

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
Man, learning about all the cut content makes me wonder what could have been, and I honestly think I prefer it this way. It's a mess that doesn't really make much sense but even if the plot were complete, it still wouldn't be a good story, just a mediocre story with fewer holes in it. The gameplay probably wouldn't have improved and then we wouldn't have moments like committing suicide to take someone's body strictly to move a bighorner out of your way, which stuck with me more than anything from the "feature complete" portions of the game.

Good LP btw, I forgot that people still post threads for these but I've been watching along at home the whole time. Glad you got better from killing yourself after Limbo.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
I know I said I finished Omikron (twenty years ago), but the closer we get to the end, the less sure I am of that, because wow I don't remember any of this.

Traditionally I finish the games I start, though - especially back then. When you're young and don't get many games, you finish what you get. So maybe it's just because the latter two-thirds of this game (at least) is just a mush of bad, generic late-nineties game design. It all blends together with other crappy, forgettable games I played back then.

I guess we'll see if I remember the ending when we get to it!

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Bible Ian Black posted:

Man, learning about all the cut content makes me wonder what could have been, and I honestly think I prefer it this way.

It really doesn't seem like the cut content would've made the game more interesting, just more boring and generic, really. Oh no, Reshev kidnapped Dakobah. The computer Ix is evil.

Going over the gameplay one more time would've helped more. Integrate the three gameplay modes together more, have the reincarnation mechanic actually matter. On that, I'll concede that the game was too ambitious for 1999 and being a studio's first game, but Quantic has yet to show that they could realize that potential with their current team and tech.

Antistar01 posted:

Traditionally I finish the games I start, though - especially back then. When you're young and don't get many games, you finish what you get. So maybe it's just because the latter two-thirds of this game (at least) is just a mush of bad, generic late-nineties game design. It all blends together with other crappy, forgettable games I played back then.

I know exactly what you mean. There are some games really not worth playing that I stuck with, just because they're from a time when you were stuck with the games you had.

I first left Omikron unfinished when I couldn't figure out how to get past the Tetra factory bug, then I finished nearly the whole rest of the game with a walkthrough. I got stuck on the incredibly tedious final boss, managed to beat him once without use of items, and then figured out that actually using the game's items makes him manageable.

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jul 26, 2021

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Going over the gameplay one more time would've helped more. Integrate the three gameplay modes together more, have the reincarnation mechanic actually matter. On that, I'll concede that the game was too ambitious for 1999 and being a studio's first game, but Quantic has yet to show that they could realize that potential with their current team and tech.

I'll disagree here, because it was only halfway through 2000 that we got Deus Ex which was 75% of the way ot being what Omikron should have been, gameplay-wise. All it needed was a "steal bodies"-mechanic and some decent fist-fighting and, frankly, that was probably the hardest part to do, because we didn't get good first-person melee combat until 2017 or so.

Maybe it had more to do with blowing half the game's budget on a superstar musician tie-in than what was technically possible.

Frankly I'm kind of amazed that Omikron was on 3CD's. Deus Ex covered about as large a world, all areas combined, but was only on one CD. Was it just all the voice acting? The music? Or were they terrible at actually compressing their data?

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Yeah, good points. It probably just comes down to lack of experience. Though, while Quantic Dreams games have been getting prettier and prettier, I think the gameplay remains disappointing and poorly thought out.

For how sloppy the game is, I'm still surprised that there's so little in unused assets in the game, despite dialogue being present for the scrapped district. It could be that they had to clean up the game to fit it onto the 3 CDs, but when I think about it, maybe it's more likely someone (Cage?) just wrote things out, but they never even got started on some assets.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Hey Purple I'm not gonna argue FPS melee since I know very little about it but which game are you referring to as being the first with good melee in 2017? Is it DOOM?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
Personally I'd go with Arkane's Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, in 2006, but...

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

There's also Zeno Clash from all the way back in 2009.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

By popular demand posted:

Hey Purple I'm not gonna argue FPS melee since I know very little about it but which game are you referring to as being the first with good melee in 2017? Is it DOOM?

Honestly, the first first-person game I ever played with really satisfying melee combat? Dead Island. It felt like hits landed, it felt like you had a decent idea of both your own and enemies' reach, etc. it was very satisfying until the end where enemy HP bloat made it feel a bit floaty.

I was expecting someone to come in screaming about Dark Forces' lightsaber combat, personally.

Marshal Radisic posted:

There's also Zeno Clash from all the way back in 2009.

Zeno Clash is good, but the combat DID feel a bit floaty and disconnected at times.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Shogo's FPMelee wasn't bad.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
In terms of fps melee combat I have fond memories/Stockholm syndrome regarding the XBOX "classic" Breakdown. It has a cool plot and while you start out with guns they are essentially useless past about a quarter of the way into the game.

I never beat it though, pretty sure I got stuck in the room right before the final boss and had to return the rental. It came out in 2004, and was probably the first fps with melee combat that felt good to me. Jedi Knight was great and all, but did anyone not switch to 3rd person for lightsaber anyway? It was awful trying to use it in first person, even in Outcast and Academy.

PurpleXVI posted:

Zeno Clash is good, but the combat DID feel a bit floaty and disconnected at times.

Xeno Clash 1 and 2 feel like something directly from the pages of Heavy Metal magazine and I love them for that. The combat does feel very floaty and disconnected though. 2 fixes a bunch of those issues but has a whole separate set of its own. Both are worth playing, but maybe not for everyone.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 27, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I never really took to first person combat. Maybe in VR it would work for me.

Hey, guess what? It's time for the finale.

Thank you very much for you attention. It's been a heckuva ride.

https://twitter.com/davidspackage/status/1420060022948745217?s=20

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Well goddamn:vince:

Thank you for all the work you put in to make this entertaining DP.

We all knew that the Bowie and Bowie romance couldn't last :sadwave: it was too pure to exist in a fallen universe.

racerabbit
Sep 8, 2011

"HI, I WANT TO HUG PINS NUTS."
:frolf:
Bowie would've approved of the hot Bowie-on Bowie action.

Also r.i.p. to Astaroth and "that guy Ray".

And thank you for an entertaining lp of a very bad game.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Well, congratulations on finishing this game and the extra effort you put in for the intro vignettes, which have all been funny and sometimes also disturbing, and also whatever that was with Bowie-on-Bowie action in this last episode :v:
It has been quite the trip.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Thanks David, gently caress you David, thanks David, and thanks Ray for this cool LP.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well, I fell behind this LP due to life happening. I'll finish it soon as I can, but I wanted to say thanks for doing this! The handful of episodes I've seen so far has convinced me David Cage should have been fired into the sun a long, long time ago.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Thank you for putting a lot more effort into this LP than this game frankly deserves, even with Bowie in it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Thanks for showing off "that one game with David Bowie in it", also known as "not Soul Nomad". I've always been curious about it but never got around to actually getting a copy.

Pity its such a mess.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Thanks you guys! LPs always feel like a way to put a game that's stuck with me for some reason, on the shelf for good.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Hey, thanks for the LP! It was a flawless and entertaining look at a game that's neither of those things.

And yep... I don't remember any of that ending. Did I actually finish Omikron twenty years ago? I think the answer is lost to time now. Maybe I gave up halfway through and then just listened to Hours a bunch of times. :iiam:

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Thanks for the comprehensive LP of this game that totally does not deserve it. The Bowiemance was the cherry on top, and the little intro videos were as fun as they were in Hopkins FBI.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Yeah, this is probably the most informative and skilled let's plays of this game.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for the LP, and for finally putting away the specter of a game that's been haunting the inside of my closet for many a year now. Pity we never found Ray, but maybe he was cut content. We'll never know.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Man, I can't imagine anyone else making this an actually fun experience to watch. Thanks for the LP!

I think what strikes me most, in the end, is how little they actually did with the "player is from another dimension"-framing mechanic. Like... all it really contributed was a reason for the player to be able to hop bodies(which could just as easily have been explained by a magic spell) and giving the player an excuse to ask dumb questions about extremely basic things about the world they arrived in.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
thanks for this excellent work! Your vignettes were top notch. I am amazed at how bad this game crashed and burned. Ever since you left Kay'l behind it just went plummeting straight down, through the floor and beyond.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

I think what strikes me most, in the end, is how little they actually did with the "player is from another dimension"-framing mechanic. Like... all it really contributed was a reason for the player to be able to hop bodies(which could just as easily have been explained by a magic spell) and giving the player an excuse to ask dumb questions about extremely basic things about the world they arrived in.

And they're not even consistent about it. One moment it's "huh, I'm a... cop?" the next it's "selling Yuki is a class 4 violation"

So much potential wasted. You could've had the player jump into the thief's body and be like "ah, I can pick locks now." Nope. None of that.

By the way, to make the ending I used a simple app someone wrote to let you swap out characters' models for each other. You can also see the model names that Quantic used here, for instance, the Dreamer character is "Bowie Chanteur (singer)". This is where I found Telis's underwear model is called "Telis Nue (nude)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
That was a great LP, as always! Thanks for doing it.
Feels good to finally see the whole game. I can't believe how front-loaded it was.
All the deep dives into the cut content were very interesting.