Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Usually in games like this when you get to take over some piece of heavy fighting machinery that's a high point, because you can cut loose and do some damage.

Also like... I love how the entire station does not give a gently caress that one of their battle robots just went insane and blew up like a dozen of its brethren. I would be unsurprised if anyone ever notices.

Also also I love how clearly the "girlfriend" just does not react to being told you're just puppeteering her boyfriend.

Even for a video game in which standards are lax, to say the least, they just plowed through with the plot without letting implications and what could have been only edge case damage slow them. Also I'm not sure why the cuckold thing was included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The intros are absolutely amazing, and the racism-o-meter is glorious.

Between the racist caricature and the fridgeing I think we're heading into excellent storytelling territory, the sort that is unique, ascended and esoteric, the sort that can only be held back by critics, the unprepared and the weak might even be offended by some elements, the plot being infodumped right into our faces by an enigmatic figure is just confirmation of this fact.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 18, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That 18 item limit is really amazing. I doubt it's a technical one either.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Video Games often have incredibly bad writing and even more often when they have an Auteur type who feels incredibly good about their writing, so despite some genuinely excellent stuff by other people (I'm going to think about Nier Automata, FFT and so on) we have David Cages and Neil Drukmans, turning an enormous amount of work in these things that have basically nothing to say.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Thoughtlessness is not an uncommon thing in video games, or in fiction in general, but overwhelming thoughtlessness in something that someone named David Cage pretends really hard is actually extremely serious is a defining characteristic of a David Cage game.

I've played some hack and slash RPGs that had more depth than this.