Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
I have to say, your vignettes at the beginning of each video are pretty good. Last one especially cracked me up real nice.
Anyway, I'm in for this ride. This game does look like it has its charm, and maybe it also kinda wants to say something. I'm just not sure of what, and if it's using the right tools, it's bound to at least be interesting somehow. This last round of tropes seen in the video, eg racist caricatures, killing off a woman to spur the main character into action made it start to get uncomfortable though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

davidspackage posted:

I've been trying to figure out what rubs me, and so many other people, the wrong way about David Cage's games. I mean, obviously there's the little touches of classical European racism and overt sexism, but aside from that. I think the thing is that he just has nothing to say. He gets great artists, designers, actors, musicians, and then he just squanders all of it on his nothing stories. Everything's really superficial, just moving from setpiece to setpiece without any depth. Even Detroit, which looks gorgeous, has good acting, and an excellently fleshed out world, has immense potential for a thought provoking twist on androids achieving sapience, and then Cage just mashes his French rear end on the keyboard to churn out "what if black people but androids, lol not political tho"

However! That doesn't mean Omikron doesn't have some twists that'll make your head spin. Also, glad you like the vignettes, because they're going to escalate a little.

Starting to see what you mean there. Like, it seems like it's already kind of unraveling, and just kind of flailing around. Kay'l ends abruptly and he's the only main character who got any characterization so now the game has to account for you inhabiting the body of any number of otherwise unremarkable npcs. Already it squandered its narrative capital of its first main character (and most fleshed out) for what seems to me no real benefit. And now these weirdly disjointed setpieces. I honestly hoped it could hold on a bit longer :(
I legit liked the noir-esque drama with the murder investigations

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
So one thing that has been striking me about the body change mechanic is how the PC is forcing themselves onto others, erasing their psyche and taking over their lives entirely, which has to me some uhhhhhhhh uncomfortable undertones, to say the least. Does this ever get addressed or is it glossed over?

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Ha! No it does not, which is part of the reason why this game is bad (and leaves you feeling bad). Though, there is some unused dialogue that implies the game originally had a mechanic where you could release the body you inhabited, as opposed to what happens in the game now and appears to be you destroying the body you leave behind.

That cut mechanic sounds like it was for the best to be honest. Like, already it's pretty uncomfortable what you do, but leaving behind a trail of probably horribly traumatized and scarred coils you successively shed once they outlive their usefulness, while prolly not even examining what those people went through? Ugh.

Though to be fair even under the slightest scrutiny this whole thing is kind of a moral black hole and I'm stunned that they just casually dropped it in this supposedly deep game without further thought.

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 30, 2021

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

davidspackage posted:

Well. It's time for the Tetra factory.

Cat vignette best vignette
Please pet the cat as apology for featuring in omikron-related media
e: on second thought, please pet the cat in general

mortons stork fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
thanks for this excellent work! Your vignettes were top notch. I am amazed at how bad this game crashed and burned. Ever since you left Kay'l behind it just went plummeting straight down, through the floor and beyond.