Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Finally caught up with the LP, don’t know how I didn’t notice it until now. My experience with Crash is playing the games in reverse order from 3 so my experience was colored by the (from my perspective) declining capabilities of Crash. I never 100%ed a game, but while I did use the unlock everything cheat code on Crash 1, I was able eventually to get to Cortex on my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

theenglishman posted:

Thank you for bringing this up in the thread so I don’t have to rant about it in a future video!

now im regretting it

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's the face that gets you in the end.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Your voice sounded really loud and boomy, TEM. Might need to adjust your mic or EQ out some of that low end. The human voice doesn't need anything below 100 Hz.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThornBrain posted:

Your voice sounded really loud and boomy, TEM. Might need to adjust your mic or EQ out some of that low end. The human voice doesn't need anything below 100 Hz.

Says you
I project infrasound at my peers on a daily basis
(thornbrain's right though)

Having the boulder jump the crates is a devious move by the devs. I think later boulder levels give you little leeway on mistakes so you have to keep every inch you outrun the boulder by to get the box gem. Caused me a lot of annoyance as a kid

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 19, 2021

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

ThornBrain posted:

(Un?)fortunately we've got a backlog for the next four videos, but I'll experiment with my mixer and see what changes I can make in the future.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Having the boulder jump the crates is a devious move by the devs. I think later boulder levels give you little leeway on mistakes so you have to keep every inch you outrun the boulder by to get the box gem. Caused me a lot of annoyance as a kid

From what I can tell regarding the level design, that only applies to certain out-of-the-way boxes. I'm guessing Naughty Dog wanted to ensure there was some extra challenge for the box gem. I think the same thing applies to the triceratops in Crash 3.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 19, 2021

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I think they may have made Crash's face a little too wacky in these remakes because he's basically on the level of Ripper Roo but that's also incredibly minor and easy to get over. No one can be Clancy Brown but with more voice lines to go by the new guy is doing pretty okay.

I don't think I ever had that much trouble with the chase levels, it was always secret areas and messing up the times you have to use an enemy or a crate to get another crate. Or maybe the chase levels were just that much faster to replay.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Merry Crashmas everyone!

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
The four finger issue in Japan goes even deeper than it being an unlucky number, and relates to an old caste system and those at the bottom, the burakumin. Because blood is taboo and impure in Buddhism, any workers in such jobs were seen as tainted and were ostracized and discriminated against. I'm sure you can think of a few, like executioners, butchers, tanners, etc. Due to the nature of such jobs where you use your hands close to sharp objects meant to cut flesh and bone, accidentally chopping off a finger wasn't too uncommon - "four" was one word one could use to describe the burakumin, perhaps because of the image that they were four fingered or because you could use a hand symbol with your thumb tucked behind your hand and the fingers pointing down to refer to them as well. A four legged animal, you see. Though the caste system is gone, the burakumin descendants still face discrimination even today due to those old beliefs that their whole bloodline is basically tainted by the impurities.

Anti-discrimination and burakumin rights groups in Japan will go after characters with four fingers because they are seen as an insult towards the burakumin. If you want to have a character with four fingers, then you need to pay them to keep them from coming after you. Disney's four fingered characters are still exactly that, even in Japan.

Kinda unrelated but hey! Let's learn about history and culture together! I'm looking forward to more videos.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

InspectorSands posted:

The four finger issue in Japan goes even deeper than it being an unlucky number, and relates to an old caste system and those at the bottom, the burakumin. Because blood is taboo and impure in Buddhism, any workers in such jobs were seen as tainted and were ostracized and discriminated against. I'm sure you can think of a few, like executioners, butchers, tanners, etc. Due to the nature of such jobs where you use your hands close to sharp objects meant to cut flesh and bone, accidentally chopping off a finger wasn't too uncommon - "four" was one word one could use to describe the burakumin, perhaps because of the image that they were four fingered or because you could use a hand symbol with your thumb tucked behind your hand and the fingers pointing down to refer to them as well. A four legged animal, you see. Though the caste system is gone, the burakumin descendants still face discrimination even today due to those old beliefs that their whole bloodline is basically tainted by the impurities.

Anti-discrimination and burakumin rights groups in Japan will go after characters with four fingers because they are seen as an insult towards the burakumin. If you want to have a character with four fingers, then you need to pay them to keep them from coming after you. Disney's four fingered characters are still exactly that, even in Japan.

Kinda unrelated but hey! Let's learn about history and culture together! I'm looking forward to more videos.

I seem to recall that Oddworld games were adjusted because of this phenomenon, too.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
Most of the time I hear about the 4 finger stigma, it's about the Yakuza and their infamous method of selfpunishment for dishonor by cutting off a finger.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!

Lulti posted:

Most of the time I hear about the 4 finger stigma, it's about the Yakuza and their infamous method of selfpunishment for dishonor by cutting off a finger.

Not entirely untrue, either, but a bit of a lesser issue. Yakuza don't come after you for portraying a character with four fingers, but it is an easier explanation than trying to delve into the whole burakumin issue.

But burakumin and yakuza are connected, as well. Due to the discrimination, burakumin have had - and still have - trouble securing jobs and housing, due to background searches. Because of this, many burakumin have no other choice but to turn to organized crime. There's yakuza groups where the majority of their members are burakumin.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Let me first acknowledge the absurdity of this statement but one thing I do feel is that the new Cortex voice just isn't as trustworthy as Clancy Brown and its just a little too obvious Cortex is going to betray you. Again, yes, I realize I'm talking about the person who played Byron Hadley, Lex Luthor, and Sergeant Zim.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Kibayasu posted:

Let me first acknowledge the absurdity of this statement but one thing I do feel is that the new Cortex voice just isn't as trustworthy as Clancy Brown and its just a little too obvious Cortex is going to betray you. Again, yes, I realize I'm talking about the person who played Byron Hadley, Lex Luthor, and Sergeant Zim.

Zim was trustworthy, he was just a fascist.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I mean it's not exactly the most dramatic plot twist in the world, is it?

I agree that Clancy Brown's performance is better in this game but I do like Lex Lang's Cortex, in specific contexts. He's great at the comic-relief side of Cortex, the once-imposing mad scientist reduced to a lackey by other villains. Crash Twinsanity in particular is hilarious because Lex Lang does such a good job playing the miserable wimp to Crash.

Once we get to Crash 3 and Cortex' bad case of Eggman Syndrome really starts to kick in, that's where I think Lang really shines.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The sixth warp room might actually be intended to be the zeroth warp room. In the original, you can clearly see N Sanity island as well as the volcano island, placing it pretty clearly on top of Cortex Castle. And when you leave via the lift in NST, you leave upwards, arriving in Warp Room 1. So the implication is that all the warp rooms are in Cortex's space station, meaning Crash was kidnapped to space I guess.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

theenglishman posted:

I mean it's not exactly the most dramatic plot twist in the world, is it?

I agree that Clancy Brown's performance is better in this game but I do like Lex Lang's Cortex, in specific contexts. He's great at the comic-relief side of Cortex, the once-imposing mad scientist reduced to a lackey by other villains. Crash Twinsanity in particular is hilarious because Lex Lang does such a good job playing the miserable wimp to Crash.

Once we get to Crash 3 and Cortex' bad case of Eggman Syndrome really starts to kick in, that's where I think Lang really shines.

Yeah he does do that even in the few moments so far, Clancy Brown just can't not sound serious.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I'm really impressed by the remastered soundtrack in this one, lots of fun instrumentation there.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Just came here to talk about this games killer soundtrack and ended up spending half an hour on wikipedia reading about civil rights in Japan.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Let's kick off 2022 with a bang. Or a crash, as it were.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

theenglishman posted:

Let's kick off 2022 with a bang. Or a crash, as it were.

Reported for bear cruelty.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The Komodo Brothers and Tiny Tiger being planned for but cut from the first game and subsequently brought back for Crash 2 would explain a bit of lost Crash media that otherwise doesn't make sense because of them being there.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 2, 2022

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Samovar posted:

:smith:

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Samovar posted:

That bear was totally into it. It saves him a chiropractor visit.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

how does the spin attack work when Crash is hanging from the mesh? :psyduck:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

oldskool posted:

Very carefully

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

oldskool posted:

Yoshimitsu hands.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Unique glitches! Live meme reactions! Dying polar bears! This update has it all.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Out of curiosity, have you beaten the Uncharted high score on the first game yet? I haven’t. ;)

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

achtungnight posted:

Out of curiosity, have you beaten the Uncharted high score on the first game yet? I haven’t. ;)

I don’t have a PS4 or 5, nor have I played Uncharted 4 - I experienced it through ChipCheezum’s excellent LP from a few years ago.

Lulti
Nov 28, 2016
You COULD get those boxes on the platform surrounded by mines once you are on the jetboard at Air Crash.
Back in PS1 days, I used to sacrifice an Aku-Aku mask to ram into the mines and get enough height from the blast to land on the platform. This was before my prepubescent brain could comprehend the idea of skipping the cool board right infront of me.
Never tried that trick with N.Sane trilogy though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Been a while since I've seen a video of a camera pointed at a TV :v:

Every time I hear "Air Crash" I'm always a little bit surprised when we get into the level and I have to remind myself it is NOT the level that actually involves those words.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Lulti posted:

You COULD get those boxes on the platform surrounded by mines once you are on the jetboard at Air Crash.
Back in PS1 days, I used to sacrifice an Aku-Aku mask to ram into the mines and get enough height from the blast to land on the platform.

Oh poo poo, really? I gotta go back and see if I can do that, maybe add it as a bit of extra footage.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can count me as someone who was also terrified of the bear. Maybe chalk it up to playing too much Resident Evil around the same time.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
That definitely looks like something that would have scared the poo poo out of kid-me.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm reminded of my time playing Condemned 2, in the lodge level:

"Huh, wonder what's going on he-HOLY CRAP IT'S A BEAR, RUN!"

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

I'd like to give a big thank-you to ThornBrain and Anaxite for helping me out with my audio issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I don't think 154/155 was actually a meme about that Nitro-ensconced box originally, as far as I remember it was about the one box above the bounce crates in the bonus round; in the original games it was entirely offscreen, as you can see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4cYpQCSAo&t=62s

Also, you can see bonus rounds did not tell you how many crates were in them in the original, so you never knew if you had missed one!

But between that and the ! box in the death route, there are a lot of candidates for That One Box. But the bonus round hidden one is the one I remember being hated on the most, specifically.

NST fixed the bonus round box (and gave you the counter), but wow yeah they did make that nitro-blocked one harder.