Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.
For me, the 154/155 box in Cold Hard Crash was also in the bonus round, but not the one Marquise pointed out. No, it's the TNT at the start of the chain of TNTs at the end of the bonus level. I'm 95% sure that this particular TNT would not explode with the rest of them unless you specifically jumped on it, so I was very nervous when TEM didn't jump on it in the recording.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It says something about Cold Hard Crash that everyone has a different story about what That One Box is.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 23, 2022

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would have liked Aku Aku hints.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

I would have liked Aku Aku hints.

From the translations I read on the Crash Bandicoot wiki, some of them are hints while others are just outright telling the player what to do and where. For example the location of almost every secret exit is given away.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
I always forget how much I hate the jet pack levels until I get to them. Cool idea though!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the howls of the lab assistants falling being mildly disturbing to my child brain. Everything else just puffs into smoke.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

And with that, the Crash Bandicoot 2 portion of the thread comes to a close! My next LP, as with Rabbids Go Home before it, will be of a different game, and after that it's back to Crash Bandicoot 3.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's an article on Kotaku about changing the clothing on a model and part of it covers a scene in Uncharted 4 where you see characters actually remove a piece of clothing without it being hidden by the camera or an obstruction.

So as it turns out I didn't remember much about Crash 2's levels at all! Things like the little and giant bear came back to me but not much else immediately came to mind of playing it way back when. Maybe its because a lot of it is just a better Crash 1 in similarly themed levels. Kind of a shame, it was definitely the second game that got me to get the third one. This was a nice reminder.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

So, hang on, if you don't have all the coloured crystals in that level, do you... Just encounter a screen and there's no platform to go on? Or is the last gem you collect the first platform you can go on?

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

It's time for the final stop on our journey.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hooray!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its the best of the games
:colbert:

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I understand this opinion but I do not share it. It is a very good game though.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Much like Ace Combat 4 vs Ace Combat 5 the difference comes down to if you perceive different gameplay mechanics as welcome variety or unnecessary gimmicks.

And also much like Ace Combat 5, its 3.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I’ll just repeat what I said in the YouTube comments: my brain says 2 is better, but my heart says it’s 3.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Platinum case was one of the few PS1 games I had so it is still the best, especially any riding levels.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I've grown to appreciate 2 as I played it more as an adult, I do still prefer Warped overall with its more varied and interesting locales.

Regarding the Mask brothers being twins, it's worth noting that long ago Aku Aku was once a powerful human shaman who used his magic to fight against evildoers and particularly Uka Uka. At some point, both Aku Aku and Uka Uka left behind their mortal shells and their spirits came to inhabit ancient tribal masks, effectively making them immortal. Afterwards, Aku Aku was able to imprison his brother within a hidden temple to protect the world from his evil, and then went into hibernation himself for unknown reasons until Crash escapes from Cortex's castle and washes up on N. Sanity Beach.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Much like Spyro 3, it's the best of the trilogy. They've perfected the actual levels and stuff but then bogged it down with a bunch of gimmick stages in order to try to keep it interesting.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
It's time! And you even included a Prehistoric level in the first video, good.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The actual platforming is at its best in this game, time trials are a fantastic addition, and the chase levels are vastly improved by making the entire level not about that.

It's seriously only just that a full 50% of the levels being not platforming kind of breaks it for me.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It's seriously only just that a full 50% of the levels being not platforming kind of breaks it for me.

I was curious so I went to Bandipedia and got some hard stats. Out of the 25 standard levels (and excluding the DLC level which we'll get to much later on), 14 (56%) are regular platforming. The number dips to 50% if we include the five secret levels, only one of which (Eggipus Rex) has platforming.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I love most of Crash 3's gimmicks, but the bike levels are absolute dogshit and the entire reason why I still prefer Crash 2 to this day.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I do genuinely like the underwater stages in this game, but that's about it as far as the gimmicks go. The rest are fine at best.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

I'm glad to see this, I've been looking forward to it! Only Crash stuff I ever played was CTR and a demo for Warped.

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

azren posted:

I'm glad to see this, I've been looking forward to it! Only Crash stuff I ever played was CTR and a demo for Warped.

CTR is really underappreciated. Sure it's not Mario Kart, but it's very serviceable and the original CTR has a really solid battle mode.

Crash 4 is on PS+ in July, so when I get back from vacation I'll try some proper Crash for the first time.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

fatsleepycat posted:

CTR is really underappreciated. Sure it's not Mario Kart, but it's very serviceable and the original CTR has a really solid battle mode.

Crash 4 is on PS+ in July, so when I get back from vacation I'll try some proper Crash for the first time.

Crash 4 is a great game. However I must emphasize: do not, repeat DO NOT go for 100% on your first playthrough. Trust me.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

The best part of Crash Bandicoot is when he said "TIME TO GET WARPED" and warped all over those guys.

EDIT: Accidentally linked a different video. It's fixed now.

theenglishman fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 30, 2022

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Tiny having an accent is weird because I don’t believe he had one in the original, using Hulk Speak until Crash of the Titans which made him a Mike Tyson impersonating Siberian Tiger rather than a Thylacine.

That death animation with the sword guy was possibly better or worse in the original game where Crash’s legs would walk away from his upper body which floats in place.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

That jetski looks....really not fun to control.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
The jetski levels are my least favourite vehicle levels.

They're also the most plentiful.

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
I like that the dev team acknowledged the cheese move instead of just trying to remove it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember actually being pretty surprised the first time Crash did a faceplant and in jumped Coco. For every level I knew Coco was going to be the character I of course made Crash jump as high as possible before hitting the ground.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

Is that a station in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I can't believe you let suicide frog pass unmarked.

It did happen sort of offscreen I suppose.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Are there emulators out there for the PocketStation? I remember I had the PC version of Final Fantasy 8 as a kid and it came with a separate executable for the chocobo... iirc, dungeon crawling game? It would unlock new summons in the main game. I'd love to see a youtube compilation of all of those.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Coco of course understands that interference in past events must be kept minimal lest the future completely change.

theenglishman
Jun 24, 2009

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I can't believe you let suicide frog pass unmarked.

It did happen sort of offscreen I suppose.

Wait, are you talking about the frogs in Double Header?

Watching the episode again, I see what you’re referring to. In 20 years playing this game I never noticed that. The things you learn when you’re older, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

theenglishman posted:

Watching the episode again, I see what you’re referring to. In 20 years playing this game I never noticed that. The things you learn when you’re older, huh?

Yup, he's sort of a minor Crash 3 meme, because usually he kills himself when you come back from the bonus round. It's just that the global cycles this time lined up such that he jumped while you were leaving.