Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I do not remember that save system at all in Crash 1. Though it probably explains why I can't remember beating it without cheat codes when I first played it, much less getting 100%.

The death animations probably went a long way in how much I enjoyed the first Crash and got me to play to sequels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember constantly being surprised by how many memory blocks on a standard memory card a game did or didn't want on the PS1. Some of the more complicated games only wanted a few whereas what I considered a simple one needed a third or half. For Crash I guess Naughty Dog might have been working with the Mario/Sonic model of "saving" for a long time before the memory card became a thing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I forgot time trials were even a thing. They are pretty much just the levels again though so its not necessary at all to show every single one.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember having a lot of trouble with what I think is the next boss but that might just be the save system coming back to haunt my past self again.

Backtracking into the camera was honestly one of the meaner things Crash did. When its not a boulder level the camera is just right there.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I think I remember trying to get an entire line of bats just from spinning the first one. For no reason other than I think you get a single fruit for hitting one enemy with another.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember those barrels too well. The camera angle just didn't give you the proper perspective to make where they were going to bounce. I think I even had a few deaths just by running into the throwers because of the camera!

Lulti posted:

One nice addition to the NST in Toxic Waste are the scuff marks for the bouncing barrels on the floor, making it easier to dodge them.

I had to go look for these. I wish they had made them even more obvious honestly.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's hard to not prefer everything from the later games! I've gone back to Crash 2 and 3 a bunch of times but I've always left the first game where it was.

I think High Road must have been when 11 year old me started using cheats to skip levels. I have vague memories of a bunch of levels before that and I definitely remember Pinstripe but Slippery Climb is a blank.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Doesn't particularly matter to me what day the videos are on.

Would those lives respawn every time? I can't remember if the extra life boxes turn into regular boxes or not after you complete a level.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I'm way late on posting this but I really enjoyed this not quite nostalgic trip. My memories of 2 and 3 are completely mixed together at this point so I'm also looking forward to untangling that!

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well that's one thing cleared up (which could have also been done with a glance at Wikipedia) but if you asked me yesterday I would have sworn 2 had what I now know 3's plot is.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Honestly I think they may have made Crash's face a little too wacky in these remakes because he's basically on the level of Ripper Roo but that's also incredibly minor and easy to get over. No one can be Clancy Brown but with more voice lines to go by the new guy is doing pretty okay.

I don't think I ever had that much trouble with the chase levels, it was always secret areas and messing up the times you have to use an enemy or a crate to get another crate. Or maybe the chase levels were just that much faster to replay.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Let me first acknowledge the absurdity of this statement but one thing I do feel is that the new Cortex voice just isn't as trustworthy as Clancy Brown and its just a little too obvious Cortex is going to betray you. Again, yes, I realize I'm talking about the person who played Byron Hadley, Lex Luthor, and Sergeant Zim.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

theenglishman posted:

I mean it's not exactly the most dramatic plot twist in the world, is it?

I agree that Clancy Brown's performance is better in this game but I do like Lex Lang's Cortex, in specific contexts. He's great at the comic-relief side of Cortex, the once-imposing mad scientist reduced to a lackey by other villains. Crash Twinsanity in particular is hilarious because Lex Lang does such a good job playing the miserable wimp to Crash.

Once we get to Crash 3 and Cortex' bad case of Eggman Syndrome really starts to kick in, that's where I think Lang really shines.

Yeah he does do that even in the few moments so far, Clancy Brown just can't not sound serious.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Been a while since I've seen a video of a camera pointed at a TV :v:

Every time I hear "Air Crash" I'm always a little bit surprised when we get into the level and I have to remind myself it is NOT the level that actually involves those words.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

You can count me as someone who was also terrified of the bear. Maybe chalk it up to playing too much Resident Evil around the same time.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I would have liked Aku Aku hints.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember the howls of the lab assistants falling being mildly disturbing to my child brain. Everything else just puffs into smoke.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

There's an article on Kotaku about changing the clothing on a model and part of it covers a scene in Uncharted 4 where you see characters actually remove a piece of clothing without it being hidden by the camera or an obstruction.

So as it turns out I didn't remember much about Crash 2's levels at all! Things like the little and giant bear came back to me but not much else immediately came to mind of playing it way back when. Maybe its because a lot of it is just a better Crash 1 in similarly themed levels. Kind of a shame, it was definitely the second game that got me to get the third one. This was a nice reminder.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Much like Ace Combat 4 vs Ace Combat 5 the difference comes down to if you perceive different gameplay mechanics as welcome variety or unnecessary gimmicks.

And also much like Ace Combat 5, its 3.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I remember actually being pretty surprised the first time Crash did a faceplant and in jumped Coco. For every level I knew Coco was going to be the character I of course made Crash jump as high as possible before hitting the ground.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Coco of course understands that interference in past events must be kept minimal lest the future completely change.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I guess I did remember Tiny since he shows up more than once but of all the things I remember about Crash the bosses really aren't any of them, outside of Cortex of course. Maybe if they got lines every time you entered and exited a level with a crystal I would have, or maybe that would just get too annoying.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I had no idea the iron checkpoint box was such a Thing of Note. I think I would have been very confused if I had been a fan of Crash Team Racing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The super body slam may not be the most useful thing in regular levels but combining all the upgrades in the time trials, even the slam, was a small pleasure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I was already a plane game fan via Ace Combat 2 and some of its alikes on the PS1 and while that game was obviously way more complicated than Crash 3's plane levels something about them really engaged with me at the time. Maybe because very few others were trying to do anything like it. As I mentioned before, I might just be a fan of gimmicks.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Absolutely loved that boss fight as a kid. Spaceship and giant robot transformer out of nowhere. I felt like something was off the whole time here though and it wasn't until the original boss fight at the end that I realized they removed the hit reaction for the weakpoints. I can see why they would want to tone down the rapidly flashing lights but no sound reaction either feels like it removes something.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Platforming time trials are one of the few time trial modes I ever actually enjoyed and I guess I can thank Crash 3 for that. Any other time I see a time limit I just get stressed.

PS1 Crash bosses may have been easy but I think that's at least a better outcome than hard. At 11/12/13 years old I occasionally still had trouble with the bosses that made you jump around a bunch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I felt like such a genius when I figured out the bazooka could set off the time trial clock. Does it work from off screen? I vaguely believe I tried experimenting with how far into the level you could get before aiming backward with the bazooka couldn't hit it any more.

EggsAisle posted:

I don't think I saw levels 22 or 24, did I miss them in a video? One of them was another plane level I think.

I had a vague feeling something was missing! Mostly because of the plane level.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Speedruns should also include set-up time. Frame perfect execution to save milliseconds while you're getting in position to start the game's timer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Every time someone talks about Wrath of Cortex its always something I definitely know about - Crunch, the masks, their voice actors - and I swear I played it but I'm pretty sure I never have.

Anyways great LP! I never even thought about how Coco doesn't talk in Warped.