Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!
The four finger issue in Japan goes even deeper than it being an unlucky number, and relates to an old caste system and those at the bottom, the burakumin. Because blood is taboo and impure in Buddhism, any workers in such jobs were seen as tainted and were ostracized and discriminated against. I'm sure you can think of a few, like executioners, butchers, tanners, etc. Due to the nature of such jobs where you use your hands close to sharp objects meant to cut flesh and bone, accidentally chopping off a finger wasn't too uncommon - "four" was one word one could use to describe the burakumin, perhaps because of the image that they were four fingered or because you could use a hand symbol with your thumb tucked behind your hand and the fingers pointing down to refer to them as well. A four legged animal, you see. Though the caste system is gone, the burakumin descendants still face discrimination even today due to those old beliefs that their whole bloodline is basically tainted by the impurities.

Anti-discrimination and burakumin rights groups in Japan will go after characters with four fingers because they are seen as an insult towards the burakumin. If you want to have a character with four fingers, then you need to pay them to keep them from coming after you. Disney's four fingered characters are still exactly that, even in Japan.

Kinda unrelated but hey! Let's learn about history and culture together! I'm looking forward to more videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InspectorSands
Feb 19, 2011

I am here to inspect your kitchen sink!

Lulti posted:

Most of the time I hear about the 4 finger stigma, it's about the Yakuza and their infamous method of selfpunishment for dishonor by cutting off a finger.

Not entirely untrue, either, but a bit of a lesser issue. Yakuza don't come after you for portraying a character with four fingers, but it is an easier explanation than trying to delve into the whole burakumin issue.

But burakumin and yakuza are connected, as well. Due to the discrimination, burakumin have had - and still have - trouble securing jobs and housing, due to background searches. Because of this, many burakumin have no other choice but to turn to organized crime. There's yakuza groups where the majority of their members are burakumin.