Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Getting an idea of them in Crash 1 but waiting until Crash 3 to actually bother completing them is a good idea yes. Pretty sure you don't get anything worthwhile for completing them until 3 anyway, and it's not until 3 that a few mechanics get introduced to make them playable/fun as I recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

It's a game originally from 1996, they probably weren't thinking too hard about backtracking issues loving with the players until after reviews came in. The series does get better about poo poo like that in later games.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I distinctly remember in the original first game that if you took out both stationary bats any others flying through would also be killed and more wouldn't spawn. Not sure why they changed that in this version.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Oh my god the bouncing barrels, just instinctively cringed as soon as I saw them again. They're one of the reasons I didn't finish Crash 1, they got me so many times.

Lulti posted:

One nice addition to the NST in Toxic Waste are the scuff marks for the bouncing barrels on the floor, making it easier to dodge them.

:bahgawd:

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

I definitely gave up before this point. That climbing level you said was infamous just looks incredibly tight in a not-fun way. The lights out levels are not nearly as bad once the light is separated from Aku Aku protection, though the level design still can get pretty challenging in the later games. This implementation on the other hand is just brutal.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Missing the boxes on the jumps was VERY painful and I think one of the last jetski levels is where I gave up on 100%ing the original Crash 3. It's such a shame because I love the idea of the gimmicks but godsdamn they needed to test them better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

This has been a really good trip down memory lane, thanks!