Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm sure it's been pointed out, but having to go through the whole game then having to return to earlier levels on the first island is really petty of the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

theenglishman posted:

I’m really sorry guys, but I’m going to have to push back the next update by one week. My estimate for how much time I’d need between the backlog and the current update time. Hopefully by next week I’ll be back on track.

Thank you for your patience.

Take your time, dude.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

InspectorSands posted:

The four finger issue in Japan goes even deeper than it being an unlucky number, and relates to an old caste system and those at the bottom, the burakumin. Because blood is taboo and impure in Buddhism, any workers in such jobs were seen as tainted and were ostracized and discriminated against. I'm sure you can think of a few, like executioners, butchers, tanners, etc. Due to the nature of such jobs where you use your hands close to sharp objects meant to cut flesh and bone, accidentally chopping off a finger wasn't too uncommon - "four" was one word one could use to describe the burakumin, perhaps because of the image that they were four fingered or because you could use a hand symbol with your thumb tucked behind your hand and the fingers pointing down to refer to them as well. A four legged animal, you see. Though the caste system is gone, the burakumin descendants still face discrimination even today due to those old beliefs that their whole bloodline is basically tainted by the impurities.

Anti-discrimination and burakumin rights groups in Japan will go after characters with four fingers because they are seen as an insult towards the burakumin. If you want to have a character with four fingers, then you need to pay them to keep them from coming after you. Disney's four fingered characters are still exactly that, even in Japan.

Kinda unrelated but hey! Let's learn about history and culture together! I'm looking forward to more videos.

I seem to recall that Oddworld games were adjusted because of this phenomenon, too.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

theenglishman posted:

Let's kick off 2022 with a bang. Or a crash, as it were.

Reported for bear cruelty.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

So, hang on, if you don't have all the coloured crystals in that level, do you... Just encounter a screen and there's no platform to go on? Or is the last gem you collect the first platform you can go on?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Hooray!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeah, I think I said it before, but the idea of having to do a level multiple times and not because you messed up in order to get everything kinda rubs me the wrong way.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The little animation extras are very fun.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

It obviously isn't very exciting, but I do appreciate the racing sections not being rubberbanded.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

...why the hell did it take me this long to realize N. Gin is supposed to sound like Peter Lorre? It's not subtle...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Yeesh those water ski levels were... Were something.