Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Around what year did frequent, automatic saves become the norm for pretty much every video game?

When it became possible with consoles having harddrives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Notably Startropics on the NES had autosave, and many PC games of the time had it too. The problem is a lot games wanted a (relatively for the time) large amount of data to save, and storage was slow (and easily removable as in the ps1/2). So it was restricted to games like startropics that only needed a small amount of save data. PC having fast IO and ample storage is why its games had things like quicksaves because they could feasibly just dump the current game state into a file without much trouble.

I think i remember a few games into the 7th that had purely manual saves.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 13, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crash 2 is imo the first real crash game.

Now for the 5 people who prefer Crash 1 over the other crash games, rejoice, one of you has made a game.
PsiloSybil, which is Crash 1 but harder.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

theenglishman posted:

Thank you for bringing this up in the thread so I don’t have to rant about it in a future video!

now im regretting it

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

ThornBrain posted:

Your voice sounded really loud and boomy, TEM. Might need to adjust your mic or EQ out some of that low end. The human voice doesn't need anything below 100 Hz.

Says you
I project infrasound at my peers on a daily basis
(thornbrain's right though)

Having the boulder jump the crates is a devious move by the devs. I think later boulder levels give you little leeway on mistakes so you have to keep every inch you outrun the boulder by to get the box gem. Caused me a lot of annoyance as a kid

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Dec 19, 2021

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its the best of the games
:colbert:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hey

I liked the plane levels

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah ncortex is a pretty fun boss, kind of easy but thats true for all crash bosses, but least theres that feeling of juggling mechanics that make it more engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thanks for the LP! Crash is good, rip vicarious visions and T4B.