Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I was very excited to play this and recently picked it up on a sale for Switch but the changes to the controls and motion made it a very frustrating experience for me. Managed to finish warped but had to throw in the towel after that. Excited to follow this though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Just gonna barf out some general Crash thoughts here. Unsure if OP wants spoiler tags used or not so erring on the side of caution here.

As a kid I definitely would have said 3 was the best one and I do think the upgrade powers add a lot to the fun of the experience but I think 2 might be the best one now. Much more focused, the sprawl of 3 is cool but for every weird new mechanic that works and adds something fun (time trials, jetski levels) there’s way more that were just too shallow or janky (motorcycle levels, scuba levels, the yoshi ripoff that shows up once in the main game, planes). Kind of amazing they got all those systems functioning with how short the development time was though.

Crash 1 is really weird next to the other two, having to make it through levels without dying to get gems is a nightmare. The slightly more cohesive level themes are cool and the sunset vista temple levels are awesome. It was a shame the sequels backed away from the longer levels like those ones, I feel like the quality of life gameplay improvements would have made them quite fun.

Really wish CTR was in this collection, that game absolutely rules.

The digging/lumberjack levels in 2 rule. Maybe a weird pick for favorite level theme but I always found them fun fun fun.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Oof, yeah the latter of those two was my breaking point for the crash 1 remake and I loved that one when I was a kid.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

theenglishman posted:

I'd really be interested to see the exact difference in opinions of the NST between those who grew up with the original games, and those playing them for the first time. My gut feeling still tells me that a lot of the problems older fans have with the new compilation are related to muscle memory. Those old instincts kick in when playing the compilation, and you temporarily forget which version you're playing. It's like listening to an old song, but some of the notes you remember are moved, or changed around, or played in a different way. I sympathize with those fans, but I also think it's important to distinguish between the N. Sane Trilogy's actual flaws vs. things that are just different.

This was 100% my problem. I certainly would not say these remakes are bad games.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I always forget how much I hate the jet pack levels until I get to them. Cool idea though!