Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

human garbage bag posted:

When is Wilder vs Zelenoff?

That has happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

How embarrassing

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Forgot about this but not surprised to see it was even more farcical than I thought it would be.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

What were the odds on this going to 8 rounds? Mayweather probably doubled his money holding up Paul to stop him hitting the canvas.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/TEKAYTK/status/1401757139539054595

Yeah lmao(ignore the text because twitter is dumb.)

literally carried him through the fight

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Honestly if Mayweather deliberately went the distance (and I'm still not convinced he did, even if he did deliberately start slow/wanted to prolong it), he still deserves for people to treat it like the embarrassment that it was for him not to knock an amateur out. gently caress him if he deliberately put on a bad fight--he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That replay is pretty convincing, but I wanna see how his feet are. What round was that from?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I don't think Mayweather was able to keep the way bigger and way taller guy from falling onto him in a clumsy smother, I think that was his major problem in the whole "fight" and not part of his plan to literally carry him. I think he would have preferred a mid or late round stoppage and found he couldn't put together combinations without Paul collapsing onto him.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If they'd had the ref from the Badou Jack fight he would have DQ'd Logan Paul for sure.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think Mayweather was able to keep the way bigger and way taller guy from falling onto him in a clumsy smother, I think that was his major problem in the whole "fight" and not part of his plan to literally carry him. I think he would have preferred a mid or late round stoppage and found he couldn't put together combinations without Paul collapsing onto him.

Early on, he did his classic forearm to throat push in the clinch that worked pretty well; he should have stuck with it.
But yeah, the +30lbs without any skill to back it was still insanely effective.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
His framing looked as good as it could in the early rounds yeah, but the size difference is just nuts, and imo you'll feel it more in a clinch than anywhere else.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

lesson learned - if you are a big fat man your most powerful offensive maneuver it to try to do a belly flop on your opponents. i think that's what those fat guys wielding hot dogs did in streets of rage.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Feeling like superman now that I know I can just clinch the best boxer on the world from incapacitating me. Namaste.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

So Logan Paul has mastered the Homer Simpson strategy?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Marching Powder posted:

Feeling like superman now that I know I can just clinch the best boxer on the world from incapacitating me. Namaste.

Weight classes legitimately do exist for a reason. :shrug: I don't think it's totally impossible that he "threw" the fight to an inconclusive ending that pleased nobody and made him looked washed, but I just don't see any incentive that he had to do it since it made any interest people had in seeing him fight again drop a lot. Some combination of being too old, too small and too risk averse to finish it out makes sense to me, and tbh I think the stuff about Floyd carrying people even before this fight was already a bit of a cope for him not having knockout power. Sorry the best boxer in the world* embarrassed himself against an amateur, but that's what happened even if he did throw it for some idiot reason.

*a long time ago

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Simplest answer is Mayweather probably put a large bet on the fight going eight rounds. Evidence: All the other times Mayweather has bet on himself getting X outcome to make a lot of easy money

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

he is definitely addicted to money, like the scrawny boxer guys who turn into piles of cash in streets of rage

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
"You're giving me a million dollars to dance around for half an hour while some Youtube douche punches himself out? Sure." -Mayweather probably

He absolutely mailed that in. Why work hard when you're already retired and guaranteed a mil whether you try or not?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

In reality though that's just an amateur boxer being an amateur boxer.

:agreed:

Anyone have a gif of the last 10 sec of the fight? My stream cut out at that point and I don't want to download this travesty

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

He absolutely mailed that in. Why work hard

He could have used way less energy. Why didn't he?

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Why absorb hits when you can avoid them? Get in a few shots to make it look at least halfway convincing and otherwise just sashay away from the rookie.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wouldn't call Floyd's output "a few shots."

In this farce, there's no need to make anything look convincing beyond what he agreed to or what he wanted to. If he wanted just the money, he could have done way less.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dude was literally giggling at Paul in round 3. Just standing mid-ring laughing at him

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
This match was always going to be a disappointment unless Mayweather beat Logan Paul to death.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

He could have used way less energy. Why didn't he?

Floyd, in return for the easiest money you've ever made in your life, please make it slightly ambiguous as to exactly how ridiculous this match up is so Logan can continue to earn after it. Even if the ambiguity is 8 rounds of you standing there laughing at him.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Let's be real here, the only reason anyone watched this match is to see someone legally murder a Paul brother.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Let's be real here, the only reason anyone watched this match is to see someone legally murder a Paul brother.

And immediately promo getting the other one.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

And immediately promo getting the other one.

Yeah and the thing where Floyd's saying he might be done after this instead of immediately challenging Jake is another reason I think he was unhappy with how it all went. He's not getting any younger, obviously wasn't too banged up, and none of this is sanctioned anyway, so I just don't see any reason why they wouldn't have wanted to get the machinery going on that ASAP if it was going to happen. We all know judges would have called the fight for Floyd, but as it stands, he agreed to a fight without any kind of judging, so it was a loving draw and nobody wants to see that happen again. Maybe he'll eventually do a whole 'I'll train for real this time' angle, but I don't know why anyone would buy it.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 7, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

floyd shadow boxing and getting a sweat on for his toughest training regime yet: the camera pans to a line of inebriated 250lb businessmen who just want a hug

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Again, it doesn't make Floyd or the sport look any better if it was all a work. :shrug: I just don't understand his motivation if it was.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

extreme closeup of floyds face screwed up in intense concentration that pans out to him playing resident evil 2 and being easily caught and eaten by the first shambling zombie he encounters

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

My bad, maybe the guy who beat up his girlfriend and threatened his kids just didn't want to hurt the youtuber because he's a really nice guy deep down.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Sinteres posted:

Again, it doesn't make Floyd or the sport look any better if it was all a work. :shrug: I just don't understand his motivation if it was.

https://twitter.com/NotScTop10plays/status/1401805079804579840?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

No one is like defending Floyd's honor or anything.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Sinteres posted:

My bad, maybe the guy who beat up his girlfriend and threatened his kids just didn't want to hurt the youtuber because he's a really nice guy deep down.

lmao

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Floyd is a piece of poo poo, but is legitimately an all time great boxer.

If you think that entire thing was anything other than him loving around for money I just have no clue.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

If a Floyd fight is ever in any way satisfying it is always the other guy's doing

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

do you honestly believe mayweather would have taken this fight if he didn't care deeply about the reputation of boxing? also he's the biggest and most selfish rear end in a top hat in the sport. his nickname, "honor" mayweather, is clearly the entirety of what drove him in this instance

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

If a Floyd fight is ever in any way satisfying it is always the other guy's doing

I assure you, Floyd contributed much to Conor's TKO.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I thought Floyd said after the fight that paul's weight was hard for him to deal with. As another poster said, the weight difference means one clean shot and floyd could get caught.

Why risk trying to knockout a bigger guy who could catch you lucky when you can instead chill out, literally laugh at him and still get paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Yeah I'm watching Logan spasming at Floyd's high guard again and I have to admit that a shambling, exhausted version of that could have definitely knocked Mayweather out and definitely scared him. Floyd has never felt the power of an amateur boxer who weighs 15 more kilos than him.