Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Is all this “Floyd could have won but he didn’t because he was laughing” rationalising going on what the kids call “cope”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Of course not. It's self evident that boxing doesn't work if your opponent is slightly larger than you, completely exhausted, and intent on hugging you. Boxing just has absolutely no answer for these truths.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
If your child is being bullied, take them to a boxing gym and then, after a lifetime spent becoming the greatest of their generation, they will be be able to beat up their bully as long as they aren't slightly larger than your child.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Is all this “Floyd could have won but he didn’t because he was laughing” rationalising going on what the kids call “cope”

yoou're from the UK

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Of course not. It's self evident that boxing doesn't work if your opponent is slightly larger than you, completely exhausted, and intent on hugging you. Boxing just has absolutely no answer for these truths.

Lol, you also thought the Jake Paul Askren fight was fixed. Lemme guess, you like the UFC?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Lol, you also thought the Jake Paul Askren fight was fixed. Lemme guess, you like the UFC?

Hahaha

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

You just seem so angry, maybe just dont watch? Close them eyes

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

You just seem so angry, maybe just dont watch? Close them eyes

But then who would you own epic style with your good thinking?

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

But then who would you own epic style with your good thinking?

Youre the one telling everyone theyre stupid for not believing the fights were fixed. The most boring criticism of boxing ever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

yoou're from the UK

No i'm not

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

That's what i meant to put

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cavauro posted:

That's what i meant to put

if I ever meet you in the UK, i'm going to do to you what floyd did to paul

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Youre the one telling everyone theyre stupid for not believing the fights were fixed. The most boring criticism of boxing ever.

It's be strange of me to say this because I can't prove that fights were fixed so the position would be untenable.

There's nothing at all stupid about thinking that training hard for a year will leave you on equal footing with the upper echelons of the profession. Life is an anime.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

come to the UK if you want to make 90 million dollars from my sweet hugs

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

It's be strange of me to say this because I can't prove that fights were fixed so the position would be untenable.

There's nothing at all stupid about thinking that training hard for a year will leave you on equal footing with the upper echelons of the profession. Life is an anime.

Have you ever wrestled or boxed? When I wrestled, when they paired me up with someone 30+ lbs heavier than me in practice I couldn't do anything regardless of whether i was more skilled than them or not. The same thing happened when the weight was in the opposite direction.

When boxers go up in weight class, a common question is, 'will their power translate to the higher weight'. More often than not, it doesn't, and that's with guys moving up one weight class, not 3+.

Edit: Does that mean I was thinking Logan Paul would make it through the fight? No, i fully expected Floyd to knock him out. But I also don't think its a conspiracy that Floyd didn't.

Mr. F! fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jun 8, 2021

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

when they paired me up with someone 30+ lbs heavier than me in practice I couldn't do anything regardless of whether i was more skilled than them or not.

lol wtf?

yes i've boxed on and off since i was 15 and had a dozen amateur fights and at my best would have made a middling pro.

i've also done enough bjj so that my cause of death probably won't be headlock. what made me fall in love with bjj was rolling with a 16 year old blue belt boy as a 25 year old man who i outweighed by about 50lbs and i have never felt more helpless in my life.

is that enough to have an opinion?! lol at do you even train bro.

anyway i'll leave you with this quote from middleweight gennady golovkin's wikipedia page:

"Imoesiri said Golovkin routinely dispatched of heavyweights and hit harder than Povetkin"

i assume by 'heavyweights' as well ggg was probably dispatching actual, dangerous professional fighters and not some hobos with a pro record of 0-1, but iono

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

lol wtf?

yes i've boxed on and off since i was 15 and had a dozen amateur fights and at my best would have made a middling pro.

i've also done enough bjj so that my cause of death probably won't be headlock. what made me fall in love with bjj was rolling with a 16 year old blue belt boy as a 25 year old man who i outweighed by about 50lbs and i have never felt more helpless in my life.

is that enough to have an opinion?! lol at do you even train bro.

anyway i'll leave you with this quote from middleweight gennady golovkin's wikipedia page:

"Imoesiri said Golovkin routinely dispatched of heavyweights and hit harder than Povetkin"

i assume by 'heavyweights' as well ggg was probably dispatching actual, dangerous professional fighters and not some hobos with a pro record of 0-1, but iono

Ok, fair enough. I wasn't attempting to belittle your knowledge of the sport, just trying to understand where you're coming from.

Did you hear the audio in Mayweathers corner? Was he saying that he 'couldn't land his jab' as a way of obfuscating the fix?

Mr. F! fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jun 8, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
From what I saw, especially in the early rounds, Floyd tried to manhandle Logan in the clinch, and was surprised and frustrated that he couldn't.

I'm not saying Mayweather is now shot, or that Logan looked anything other than predictably terrible, but I think a big reason we saw the exhibition we saw was because Mayweather couldn't control the clinch the way he can in his own weight division.

Grappling with a blue belt when you don't know what you're doing isn't the same thing as asking if it's harder to frame and turn someone with 30lbs of muscle and four inches of height on you who wrestled in high school.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Marching Powder posted:

I think that can be true without it having much bearing on Floyd.
Can fighters with freakish power use that against much heavier fighters to good effect? Yeah.
Can Floyd who's an accurate but not powerful puncher do the same thing?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Especially a Floyd who's 44, retired, and hasn't fought a quality boxer in six years. And even the massive weight disparity we saw was with Mayweather fighting at a heavier weight than in any of his other fights.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

bring back butterbean and put him in the ring with paul

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
These freakshow bouts don't quite hit right outside the Triller Fight Club

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

Can Floyd who's an accurate but not powerful puncher do the same thing?

to seasoned professionals? maybe not.

to a literal amateur? yes. easily.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

to seasoned professionals? maybe not.

to a literal amateur? yes. easily.

So, was mayweathers chat in his corner between rounds where he seemed frustrated for show?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr. F! posted:

So, was mayweathers chat in his corner between rounds where he seemed frustrated for show?

"That was stunt weed, your honor."

"I'm not a judge."

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

"I'm not a judge."

lol

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

kimbo305 posted:

"I'm not a judge."

that we were all watching that for a different reason and it happened to include this scene is a great moment in PSP history as stunt weed will never die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kimbo305 posted:

"I'm not a judge."

Lol at this forever.