Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Fury / Wilder III should be alright even if it's very likely to be one-sided.

But yeah...YouTuber's maaaaaan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

when i think about logan paul feeling good about going the distance i remember how he went to an irl suicide forest and was like "whoa lol" at the dead bodies and put it on youtube. point being he's accomplished a lot

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

The SituAsian posted:

I just think a lot people, myself included, just get entertained by weird poo poo.

D and/or M saying that Paul peed on himself was my highlight, so I can relate.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

acejackson42 posted:

I have no idea Logan Paul can look at that and be proud of himself

https://twitter.com/mattdorta/status/1401699154632585217

For comparison of how much $250k Minimum is, a year ago on this day UFC held a 12-fight show where all but two people made less than that

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
i didnt watch a second of this, but if the record shows a draw and logan paul went 8 rounds with mayweather w/o getting knocked out, that basically means he won imo

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Fucker posted:

i didnt watch a second of this, but if the record shows a draw and logan paul went 8 rounds with mayweather w/o getting knocked out, that basically means he won imo

This

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

yep

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fucker posted:

I feel like the 'Mayweather wasn't really trying' stuff we're going to see a lot is a huge cope. Going in, everyone would have agreed going the distance would be a massive failure for him.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Fucker posted:

Hell, he didn't even get knocked down

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
How was a commentary team of Mauro Ranallo, Desus and Mero wasted on this

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

acejackson42 posted:

I have no idea Logan Paul can look at that and be proud of himself.

Um, the guy isn't a professional boxer?

I'm 35 years old and barely know who the Paul brothers are, but the fact that a) they are extremely popular and are able to generate solid PPV buys staging freakshow exhibitions and b) they are in their mid 20s making 7 figures a year already and their brand is only getting bigger, tells me they should be very proud of themselves.

I mean, Logan Paul is no Pernell Whitaker. Other than that he seems to be doing great.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
I honestly feel like after Floyd really had Logan in trouble he kind of did a mini calculus in his head that, mainly because of the size difference, he probably had to really sell out to get the stoppage and that would create a nonzero chance of him getting caught with something out of nowhere (he probably would be fine but the embarrassment alone would be massive) so he kind of took the middle of the road approach.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

The SituAsian posted:

I honestly feel like after Floyd really had Logan in trouble he kind of did a mini calculus in his head that, mainly because of the size difference, he probably had to really sell out to get the stoppage and that would create a nonzero chance of him getting caught with something out of nowhere (he probably would be fine but the embarrassment alone would be massive) so he kind of took the middle of the road approach.

Yeah I think that's right. He wanted to knock Logan out, and has to view this as an embarrassing outcome, but he wasn't willing to risk actually losing to go hard. Exhibition or not, it would have tainted his record in a lot of people's eyes, whereas this was just unsatisfying.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Yeah the guy getting his pants pulled down and laughed at by everyone sure was the bigger man. Just like the adults said.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Anyone claiming Floyd tried and failed to knock out Logan Paul is detached from reality.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.

Marching Powder posted:

Anyone claiming Floyd tried and failed to knock out Logan Paul is detached from reality.

Yeah at no point at all was Floyd trying to hurt Paul.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just don't believe for a second Mayweather really wanted to go the full eight rounds and have to start his post-fight interview rationalizing it by talking about how he's not young anymore. He knew it was a lovely outcome.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The SituAsian posted:

Yep. Seemed to me that Floyd expected to carry Logan through the first two rounds and get rid of him after that, but since Logan was clearly happy to just wrestle to stay alive for 6 rounds it was better to just ride it out. Not the best look for Floyd, but it doesn’t really move the needle for me.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Greatest boxer alive stymied by an exhausted amateur hugging him

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Boxing downgraded from combat sport to aikido where you need your opponent to cooperate with you to hurt them.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
https://twitter.com/canelo/status/1401744416885264389?s=21

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed

:wrong: ,campeon. The event has introduced the black leather OnlyFans/TMT baseball cap into the world, it was a massive success.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I wouldn't count the results for much. Tyson vs Jones Jr. ended up in a "draw" as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cigar Aficionado posted:

he wasn't going to permanently hurt some kid who's not even a real fighter. It's an exhibition.
it was successful for what it was.

Stopping Paul is a win-win situation -- Floyd perpertuates his villain persona (that not going for the stoppage will do nothing to rehabilitate), Paul haters get theirs, Jake Paul fight next.

Logan Paul calling for a rematch is a way dumber promotion.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yeah at no point at all was Floyd trying to hurt Paul.

Floyd put plenty of zip on some of his counters. I don't think he was trying to destroy Paul in a single punch, but Paul's size and chin kept him from getting hurt more on clean shots.
Put another way, Floyd wasn't holding back to try to not hurt Paul. Paul just held up fine despite some pretty good punches landing. Floyd was fighting for real for a few rounds and happened not to damage Paul more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wouldn't count the results for much. Tyson vs Jones Jr. ended up in a "draw" as well.

Somewhat different situations. Tyson did well and RJJ did very poorly. But neither was a foregone conclusion going into that fight, and both at least had the skills to win.

Here, it was apparent from round 1 that Floyd could cruise to the decision if he wanted to. The outcome was all in one fighter's control.
The debate's been whether he chose to carry Paul or whether he actually had trouble finishing. More interpretation for why it went to a decision unlike Tyson x Jones.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Floyd was punching him for real, but he gave the first 2 rounds away, barely threw any punches in the clinch when he could have been punishing Paul to the body, and was content with landing one-off pop shots. He also basically took his foot off the gas after the 5th round. It was a sparring session for him.

I guess he could have stopped Paul if Paul was completely useless and fragile, but he didn't make any serious attempt to KO him.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Stopping Paul is a win-win situation -- Floyd perpertuates his villain persona (that not going for the stoppage will do nothing to rehabilitate), Paul haters get theirs, Jake Paul fight next.

Logan Paul calling for a rematch is a way dumber promotion.
Floyd put plenty of zip on some of his counters. I don't think he was trying to destroy Paul in a single punch, but Paul's size and chin kept him from getting hurt more on clean shots.
Put another way, Floyd wasn't holding back to try to not hurt Paul. Paul just held up fine despite some pretty good punches landing. Floyd was fighting for real for a few rounds and happened not to damage Paul more.

Paul spent a decent amount of the fight with his hands down around his waist. If Floyd wanted to stretch him he could have done it at will at any of those points.

He gave a few punches some zip because Paul started slipping in rabbit punches and poo poo during clinches. Also it popped the crowd. If you look at the last ten seconds of round one and can say "Logan Paul stopped Floyd Mayweather from knocking him out" I have a 3 ppv deal to sell you.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The silly announcers even made fun of it at one point, where Paul tagged Floyd, Floyd got annoyed and tagged him back, then went back to doing nothing

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

lol

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Floyd was punching him for real, but he gave the first 2 rounds away, barely threw any punches in the clinch when he could have been punishing Paul to the body, and was content with landing one-off pop shots.
I think his workrate was adequate in the clinch, and made me wonder if whatever level of prep he did for this fight was way below what he used to do, or if he's still training all the time but just slowing down more.

quote:

I guess he could have stopped Paul if Paul was completely useless and fragile, but he didn't make any serious attempt to KO him.
I'm in agreement -- it was on Floyd to push it to a KO, and he didn't.

Critical posted:

He gave a few punches some zip because Paul started slipping in rabbit punches and poo poo during clinches.
I didn't see it that way -- he was hitting the hardest before Paul resorted to clinching, and Paul amateurishness there led to him being really clean, putting his arms out for the ref to stop the tie up and just eating free shots from Floyd for it. There was once where he could have easily mixed in a little head butt coming in on Floyd but purposely pulled his head up.
I personally thought Paul fought way more cleanly than he needed to or should have

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Looking forward to Paul saying he's s better boxer than McGregor and that fight in 2022.

And by looking forward, I mean I don't actually give a poo poo.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Marching Powder posted:

https://twitter.com/TEKAYTK/status/1401757139539054595

Yeah lmao(ignore the text because twitter is dumb.)

Dexo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jun 7, 2021

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/TEKAYTK/status/1401757139539054595

Yeah lmao(ignore the text because twitter is dumb.)

Hahaha I didn’t catch this, but he’s totally about to collapse onto the mat there huh

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Oh good lord, I didn't see that either. So this was definitely supposed to go to a draw and Mayweather had to physically save Paul from a KO

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Man that Paul fella gave Mayweather one hell of a beating, look:

https://twitter.com/LADMMA2/status/1401745452601692160

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

bessantj posted:

Man that Paul fella gave Mayweather one hell of a beating, look:

https://twitter.com/LADMMA2/status/1401745452601692160

Jesus lol I see he looked at the first maidana fight blueprint and he interpreted that as 'have seizure in Floyd's direction'

In reality though that's just an amateur boxer being an amateur boxer.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Marching Powder posted:

Jesus lol I see he looked at the first maidana fight blueprint and he interpreted that as 'have seizure in Floyd's direction'

In reality though that's just an amateur boxer being an amateur boxer.

Ive seen plenty of prospects do the same thing early in their career

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. F! posted:

Ive seen plenty of prospects do the same thing early in their career

It seriously looks like my first fight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

human garbage bag
Jan 8, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
When is Wilder vs Zelenoff?