Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PostNouveau posted:

Took the fight on a week's notice!! That sounds loving insane to me. Is this common?

It's not common, but it does happen, and usually speaks to the fighter accepting willing to get wrecked for the check.

PostNouveau posted:

Girl Collection? Really?

Be glad you're not familiar with Floyd Mayweather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Good Citizen posted:

well yeah he's got 2 arms, duh

heh

KidDynamite posted:

lmao Mayweather walking down Paul with a high guard. this poo poo is hilarious.

That's what he did when he went Terminator mode on Conor, thought it didn't seem to lead to the same result here.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

blue footed boobie posted:

Floyd had fun tonight.

He looks glum walking out the stadium. Even if he just puffed Paul up in the post fight interview, he should still be skipping on a 9 figure cloud.

overmind2000 posted:

Was I hallucinating or did Logan Paul end the final round by pointing to one of the big screens while saying "This is your legacy"

I feel like that happened

I couldn't read him saying anything. His meaning, I'm pretty sure, was that he went the distance with Floyd.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

he wasn't going to permanently hurt some kid who's not even a real fighter. It's an exhibition.
it was successful for what it was.

Stopping Paul is a win-win situation -- Floyd perpertuates his villain persona (that not going for the stoppage will do nothing to rehabilitate), Paul haters get theirs, Jake Paul fight next.

Logan Paul calling for a rematch is a way dumber promotion.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Yeah at no point at all was Floyd trying to hurt Paul.

Floyd put plenty of zip on some of his counters. I don't think he was trying to destroy Paul in a single punch, but Paul's size and chin kept him from getting hurt more on clean shots.
Put another way, Floyd wasn't holding back to try to not hurt Paul. Paul just held up fine despite some pretty good punches landing. Floyd was fighting for real for a few rounds and happened not to damage Paul more.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

I wouldn't count the results for much. Tyson vs Jones Jr. ended up in a "draw" as well.

Somewhat different situations. Tyson did well and RJJ did very poorly. But neither was a foregone conclusion going into that fight, and both at least had the skills to win.

Here, it was apparent from round 1 that Floyd could cruise to the decision if he wanted to. The outcome was all in one fighter's control.
The debate's been whether he chose to carry Paul or whether he actually had trouble finishing. More interpretation for why it went to a decision unlike Tyson x Jones.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Floyd was punching him for real, but he gave the first 2 rounds away, barely threw any punches in the clinch when he could have been punishing Paul to the body, and was content with landing one-off pop shots.
I think his workrate was adequate in the clinch, and made me wonder if whatever level of prep he did for this fight was way below what he used to do, or if he's still training all the time but just slowing down more.

quote:

I guess he could have stopped Paul if Paul was completely useless and fragile, but he didn't make any serious attempt to KO him.
I'm in agreement -- it was on Floyd to push it to a KO, and he didn't.

Critical posted:

He gave a few punches some zip because Paul started slipping in rabbit punches and poo poo during clinches.
I didn't see it that way -- he was hitting the hardest before Paul resorted to clinching, and Paul amateurishness there led to him being really clean, putting his arms out for the ref to stop the tie up and just eating free shots from Floyd for it. There was once where he could have easily mixed in a little head butt coming in on Floyd but purposely pulled his head up.
I personally thought Paul fought way more cleanly than he needed to or should have

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

That replay is pretty convincing, but I wanna see how his feet are. What round was that from?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jack B Nimble posted:

I don't think Mayweather was able to keep the way bigger and way taller guy from falling onto him in a clumsy smother, I think that was his major problem in the whole "fight" and not part of his plan to literally carry him. I think he would have preferred a mid or late round stoppage and found he couldn't put together combinations without Paul collapsing onto him.

Early on, he did his classic forearm to throat push in the clinch that worked pretty well; he should have stuck with it.
But yeah, the +30lbs without any skill to back it was still insanely effective.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

He absolutely mailed that in. Why work hard

He could have used way less energy. Why didn't he?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wouldn't call Floyd's output "a few shots."

In this farce, there's no need to make anything look convincing beyond what he agreed to or what he wanted to. If he wanted just the money, he could have done way less.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

Let's be real here, the only reason anyone watched this match is to see someone legally murder a Paul brother.

And immediately promo getting the other one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

If a Floyd fight is ever in any way satisfying it is always the other guy's doing

I assure you, Floyd contributed much to Conor's TKO.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

"Imoesiri said Golovkin routinely dispatched of heavyweights and hit harder than Povetkin"

i assume by 'heavyweights' as well ggg was probably dispatching actual, dangerous professional fighters and not some hobos with a pro record of 0-1, but iono
I think that can be true without it having much bearing on Floyd.
Can fighters with freakish power use that against much heavier fighters to good effect? Yeah.
Can Floyd who's an accurate but not powerful puncher do the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Mr. F! posted:

So, was mayweathers chat in his corner between rounds where he seemed frustrated for show?

"That was stunt weed, your honor."

"I'm not a judge."