Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Chronojam posted:

Play some Helldivers, the magic is still out there, just not with EA.

Yeah, I get major BF squad synergy and BF chaos and scale from Helldivers 2. I recommend it to anyone that loved the scale, chaos and camaraderie of old Battlefield.

Keep in mind, it is a PvE game but the overall scope feels what I imagine a BF3142 would be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Snuffman posted:

Yeah, I get major BF squad synergy and BF chaos and scale from Helldivers 2. I recommend it to anyone that loved the scale, chaos and camaraderie of old Battlefield.

Keep in mind, it is a PvE game but the overall scope feels what I imagine a BF3142 would be.

Yup! I always loved it when I got a good squad in BF, it felt so much more tactical and really the experience I wanted.

The beauty is in Helldivers that is not every game but quite often even with randoms.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
The next Battlefield should be Cops and Robbers ala Hardline BUT

Set in dystopian 2143

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
IDK if they ever really "had it," every BF feels like they get some things right and other things horribly wrong and it winds up being mostly-good by accident, capping off with everyone getting farmed by dipshits in overpowered helicopters. A bunch of other games have done the vehicle-shooter concept at least as well, they just never committed to it for as long.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I can't imagine a recent BF game that wouldn't have been improved by having a MANPAD hit kill a random 50% of the occupants of a scout helicopter. Of all the ones I've played it's never even been an issue with the attack chopper, just the scouts.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Make them unrepairable and not have flares. Or give them scout abilities instead of guns.

I can't think of anything more unfun than a match with a skylord scout blazing around.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

There are basically 4 problems with the current iteration: Flak guns don't do enough damage (and are worthless against everything other than helicopters), the helicopter is repairable from the inside (which often doesn't matter but makes them even loving stupider when you get coordinated duos in them), the minigun+anti-vehicle rocket loadout stops having any drawback once the pilots' aim gets good enough to beam infantry, and recently bird pilots discovered a dumb trick to make guided missiles miss by tilting sideways so even stuff like Pondhawk stinger cheese doesn't really work necessarily.

Why DICE keeps coming up with AA missiles that are capable of missing their targets is beyond me, those things should just have infinite turn speed once they're under like 10 meters.

Repairs from inside helicopters are also absolutely stupid.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah I can't imagine a recent BF game that wouldn't have been improved by having a MANPAD hit kill a random 50% of the occupants of a scout helicopter. Of all the ones I've played it's never even been an issue with the attack chopper, just the scouts.
Not "recent" but the Mi-28 in BF2 was concentrated bullshit. And so were the Hinds in 2042 until they got nerfed into the ground (and they're still pretty stupid - and the Condor is a flying coffin).

But anyway it's not like the vehicle balance has ever been good, the shooting has been at best okay (was probably best in BF1 and BF3), it's had pervasive design problems like ammo depletion that they suddenly fixed in 5 and then went right back to doing it wrong again, it's just kind of existing in a space that nobody else wants to bother with because they don't think the market is big enough for 2 games in the genre at once, which makes it all the weirder that EA keeps acting like this is some super-compelling franchise with any identity beyond "shooting+vehicles." Even more so when we're getting this weird Overwatch-esque "hey guys, did you know this game has story?" stuff lately.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Apr 11, 2024

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

OneEightHundred posted:

Not "recent" but the Mi-28 in BF2 was concentrated bullshit.

ah, memories of TV missling the Cobra with it from across the map before it could get off the ground. :allears:

Anyway do Battlefield: Cold War or don't do anything

Triggs
Nov 23, 2005

Tango Down!

OneEightHundred posted:

But anyway it's not like the vehicle balance has ever been good, the shooting has been at best okay (was probably best in BF1 and BF3), it's just kind of existing in a space that nobody else wants to bother with because they don't think the market is big enough for 2 games in the genre at once, which makes it all the weirder that EA keeps acting like this is some super-compelling franchise with any identity beyond "shooting+vehicles." Even more so when we're getting this weird Overwatch-esque "wait, this game has a story?" stuff lately.

God, the story poo poo is the dumbest loving thing they have tried to mash into BF2042. I get it, the classes/mercs or whatever are supposed to be characters, but I give zero fucks about where my medic went to medical school.

For narrative just give us two big opposing sides who want to kill each other. That's all we need.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

OneEightHundred posted:

IDK if they ever really "had it," every BF feels like they get some things right and other things horribly wrong and it winds up being mostly-good by accident, capping off with everyone getting farmed by dipshits in overpowered helicopters. A bunch of other games have done the vehicle-shooter concept at least as well, they just never committed to it for as long.

They got bc2 right, but admitted later they didn’t know how they did it.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Triggs posted:

God, the story poo poo is the dumbest loving thing they have tried to mash into BF2042. I get it, the classes/mercs or whatever are supposed to be characters, but I give zero fucks about where my medic went to medical school.

For narrative just give us two big opposing sides who want to kill each other. That's all we need.

I still cringe every time someone says no-pats in the game. It's such a dumb loving term that someone thought was totally badass.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Profanity posted:

I still cringe every time someone says no-pats in the game. It's such a dumb loving term that someone thought was totally badass.

it sucks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how you're basically just some piece of poo poo merc without any beliefs or values in BF2042

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Hard to tell if the series peaked with BC2 or BF1 (my favorite) but it has got to be one of those.

Edit: like, BF1 seems like such a labor of love it's hard to believe it was wade by the same people.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Target Practice posted:

Hard to tell if the series peaked with BC2 or BF1 (my favorite) but it has got to be one of those.

Edit: like, BF1 seems like such a labor of love it's hard to believe it was wade by the same people.

It peaked in 2142 with BC2 being a great attempt at getting to those heights.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OneEightHundred posted:

There are basically 4 problems with the current iteration: Flak guns don't do enough damage (and are worthless against everything other than helicopters), the helicopter is repairable from the inside (which often doesn't matter but makes them even loving stupider when you get coordinated duos in them), the minigun+anti-vehicle rocket loadout stops having any drawback once the pilots' aim gets good enough to beam infantry, and recently bird pilots discovered a dumb trick to make guided missiles miss by tilting sideways so even stuff like Pondhawk stinger cheese doesn't really work necessarily.

Why DICE keeps coming up with AA missiles that are capable of missing their targets is beyond me, those things should just have infinite turn speed once they're under like 10 meters.

Repairs from inside helicopters are also absolutely stupid.

Not "recent" but the Mi-28 in BF2 was concentrated bullshit. And so were the Hinds in 2042 until they got nerfed into the ground (and they're still pretty stupid - and the Condor is a flying coffin).

But anyway it's not like the vehicle balance has ever been good, the shooting has been at best okay (was probably best in BF1 and BF3), it's had pervasive design problems like ammo depletion that they suddenly fixed in 5 and then went right back to doing it wrong again, it's just kind of existing in a space that nobody else wants to bother with because they don't think the market is big enough for 2 games in the genre at once, which makes it all the weirder that EA keeps acting like this is some super-compelling franchise with any identity beyond "shooting+vehicles." Even more so when we're getting this weird Overwatch-esque "hey guys, did you know this game has story?" stuff lately.

Yeah my big battlefields were 2142, 3, and 4. In retrospect I wish I had jumped in for 1, but I seem to remember it having big issues at launch? Or maybe I was just still irritated at the very concept of Hardline :v:

There I feel like the vehicle balance was decent (with the exception of the extremely broken scout choppers which goes without saying) at least, 2142 probably had vehicles that were too weak if anything, but that could be me misremembering poo poo from my teensearly twenties apparently (that game came out later than I thought...). But jeeps/tanks/apcs/transport helo/attack helo/sometimes a Mecha walker works real good, would be nice if they could just drop scout choppers and fixed wing again.

But ya squad-play was always the big draw, had so much fun playing with the old PURE Battlefield crew and the team speak plugin that would sort you into your squad chat. There's no good reason a battlefield shouldn't have that (and dedicated servers) in this day and age.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

kri kri posted:

They got bc2 right, but admitted later they didn’t know how they did it.
IDK, I think they got some things right in BC2 but the maps were awful. Like most of the maps were interchangeable 3-points-in-a-line maps, and then there was Port Valdez which is basically a single-point map because of the choke points, and Heavy Metal was clearly not designed to be played outside of a vehicle and they added it to multiplayer anyway.

The direction they were going with the characters was more interesting than this no-pat poo poo though.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I don't want to believe that the smaller maps and team sizes made bc2 good, but it made things like blowing up a building to destroy an mcom station feasible. In a 200v200 game that would happen in seconds.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Apr 11, 2024

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
They should take a ton of inspiration from battlebit, I don’t like it as much as my favorite battlefields but they seemed to have understood map design, vehicles and squad stuff.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

They'd need to take inspiration from themselves first.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Did they ever change the skylord fire and forget lockon missiles recharging faster than armor countermeasures?

Because that's when I stopped playing.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Inspector Hound posted:

I don't want to believe that the smaller maps and team sizes made bc2 good, but it made things like blowing up a building to destroy an mcom station feasible. In a 200v200 game that would happen in seconds.
It only took what, 2 people with Carl Gustavs? MCOMs in destroyable buildings were useless idiot bait. I don't think I ever saw a Rush game where the MCOM was in a destroyable building where it wasn't destroyed.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I miss the CG so much

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

OneEightHundred posted:

It only took what, 2 people with Carl Gustavs? MCOMs in destroyable buildings were useless idiot bait. I don't think I ever saw a Rush game where the MCOM was in a destroyable building where it wasn't destroyed.

I can't remember, did they ever patch out damaging the MCOM directly? I remember using jihad quads or tank sniping to whittle away at MCOMs where my team just couldn't get it together.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

jisforjosh posted:

I can't remember, did they ever patch out damaging the MCOM directly? I remember using jihad quads or tank sniping to whittle away at MCOMs where my team just couldn't get it together.

No. Fellow tank sniper.

I loved attacking the first few MCOMMs on Port Valdez. Just get in the tank at the start of the round, boost off the cliff and drive through the house walls.

It was so much fun trying to defend those last few load bearing walls too.

What a special game.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Wookwook and kfs were such special places that you just can't get in games anymore

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No. Fellow tank sniper.

I loved attacking the first few MCOMMs on Port Valdez. Just get in the tank at the start of the round, boost off the cliff and drive through the house walls.

It was so much fun trying to defend those last few load bearing walls too.

What a special game.

Yeah, I was specifically thinking about Port Valdez's first set. Let's just have an MCOM basically out in the open with cover for defenders, that'll be balanced

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
Frontlines mode is out and it’s good times for me. Especially Haven. Be prepared for loooong rounds though. Usually I bang out my weekly missions in a day. Getting two wins takes a bit of luck.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I've been practicing my curveball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRcDeTtQ3yk

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

No. Fellow tank sniper.

You were better off going for the one not in a destroyable building first so the defense would be split.

There were also a few points where you could shoot the MCOM itself though. They did take damage but it wasn't a lot, you had to put a lot of shells in it, but there was at least one map (Arica Harbor I think) where you could snipe it with a tank from the uncap area.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 20, 2024

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Frontlines mode is out and it’s good times for me. Especially Haven. Be prepared for loooong rounds though. Usually I bang out my weekly missions in a day. Getting two wins takes a bit of luck.

I've done the best with blasco and her infiltration device and Irish and his grenade stopper. I've also done the worst with them

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
To get my second win in Frontlines for the weekly mission I went like 10 rounds getting steamrolled before getting it. That was frustrating as poo poo.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ve dunked on the new Haven map itt previously, but in Frontlines i’ll admit it works really well. On every other map it feels like a huge slog, but on Haven the capture points are close enough that there’s constant action instead of tons of walking. Also because most of the structures support destruction, the matches tend to evolve a bit as new lanes open up. Plus vehicles come into play a bit sooner so the losing team get a shot at making a a comeback

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Behold the last piece of content that BF2042 will ever get.

:effort:

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

That is going to be an absolute death march for the US team

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Deakul posted:

Behold the last piece of content that BF2042 will ever get.

:effort:

jesus christ

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

I made another terrible video about a terrible vehicle that I have over 130 hours in for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPg7acTxdlw

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Apr 27, 2024

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

jisforjosh posted:

The next Battlefield should be Cops and Robbers ala Hardline BUT

Set in dystopian 2143

I love this idea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Can't have cops be good guys in games anymore, sorry. But Corporate Security vs eco terrorists is okay.