Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

In the same thread

https://twitter.com/criscyborg/status/1409682351219634190

Also, it's nice to see Helwani actually speak his mind again now that he's back to independence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Someone mentioned on Twitter that other than Conor vs Dustin every ESPN+ card has been headlined by a title or the BMF belt. This might be some demand on their part too. Of course Dana and that other guy can get hosed.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao Did Francis mention unionising or something? The dude is such a loving marketable champ, he's super nice and his origin story is absolutely insane, it makes zero sense to gently caress him over like this.

Francis has been posting a bit passive aggressively about fighter pay lately, especially compared to e.g. the brothers Paul

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Kragger99 posted:

That is hosed up. I don't know what else to say.
A lot of the decisions the past ~8 months have really made me question why I'm still following this "sport".

because boxing and kickboxing are even worse. if there was even one good fight sport i'd just watch that

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

because boxing and kickboxing are even worse. if there was even one good fight sport i'd just watch that

join us

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The UFC might as well just make every numbered card's main event be for a belt and cut the bullshit because that's obviously what they want. "#4 welterweight of the world (in the ufc) championship" belt.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Sorry, this is from the GDT but it's a genuinely interesting question

beep by grandpa posted:

What do you think feels worse

being on the losing end of a 50-45 or being finished in the first minute of round 1

People, both fans and fighters, regularly convince themselves that quick knockouts don't count, especially since there's a bit of data to suggest that they aren't indicative (the Cain/JDS trilogy, for instance) but if you had the full length of the fight, every round in which to work, and you still lost, can't convinced yourself of poo poo.

I've spoken to more than one person who's completely convinced that circa 2011 Vitor Belfort had Anderson Silva's number. The loss is explained away with 'he just got caught'

You can't really explain a 25 minute one sided fight away like that.

You have to love the UFC finally having the platonic ideal of a heavyweight champ as champ, who is perfect and marketable from literally every perspective, and they immediately try to nickel and dime them.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Snowman_McK posted:

You have to love the UFC finally having the platonic ideal of a heavyweight champ as champ, who is perfect and marketable from literally every perspective, and they immediately try to nickel and dime them.
He’s not white, op.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Hollandia posted:

He’s not white, op.

I was gonna go with "he talk funny" but he's more understandable than Stipe, so yeah, it's this.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Hollandia posted:

He’s not white, op.

i think this would be more persuasive if they hadn't booked a black guy vs. a black beast

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Foul Fowl posted:

i think this would be more persuasive if they hadn't booked a black guy vs. a black beast

I can still see it from the "we'll crown whoever is easiest to negotiate with; nothing else matters."

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
https://twitter.com/AlexBehunin/status/1409237140303540227

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kimbo305 posted:

I can still see it from the "we'll crown whoever is easiest to negotiate with; nothing else matters."

oh yeah it's a browbeating tactic for sure, and the ufc and dana and everyone in management are scum and should die, or at least get bent over a barrel by a fighter's union.

and the ufc loves white guys and gals, conor, chandler, valentina, etc. etc. the list is endless. i just think heavyweight is an exception to that rule, though it's probably got more to do with the fact that the white guys keep getting annihilated lol

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Foul Fowl posted:

oh yeah it's a browbeating tactic for sure, and the ufc and dana and everyone in management are scum and should die, or at least get bent over a barrel by a fighter's union.

and the ufc loves white guys and gals, conor, chandler, valentina, etc. etc. the list is endless. i just think heavyweight is an exception to that rule, though it's probably got more to do with the fact that the white guys keep getting annihilated lol

UFC loves the most are fighters who will accept any fight, at any time, for whatever money the UFC offers.

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009

Fozzy The Bear posted:

UFC loves the most are fighters who will accept any fight, at any time, for whatever money the UFC offers.

Yeah, the UFC loved Ngannou and were obviously rooting for him over Stipe, especially in the first fight. They aren't loving with him now because they suddenly realized he's black, he asked for more money.

edit: It's probably also worth noting that one of the reasons the UFC was promoting Ngannou over Stipe for the first fight was probably because Stipe had been publicly complaining about the money he was making.

TastyAvocado fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 29, 2021

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Hollandia posted:

He’s not white, op.

this just reminded me they had michael chandler talk about black history month because he adopted a black son instead of just having angie hill or usman or whoever do the feature lol

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Eat This Glob posted:

this just reminded me they had michael chandler talk about black history month because he adopted a black son instead of just having angie hill or usman or whoever do the feature lol

LOL this sounds like an onion article.

Though I suppose it would make white people feel better to hear from a white savior talking about how he's redeemed this poor youth instead of hearing from a grown adult and hearing about their experiences or whatever so congrats to Dana for feeding into that

sausage king of Chicago
Jun 13, 2001
it's hilarious that Dana thinks that anyone would actually believe anything he says at this point. just don't say anything dude.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Eat This Glob posted:

Speaking of Hill, still killing it on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/AngieOverkill/status/1408997523931365377?s=20

And merch: https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/angieoverkill

Particularly fond of the “Bitch loving Season” art tee and D.A.R.E. style USADA shirt, “To resist drugs and promote violence”.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Yeah she is, I think, the only fighter I follow on twitter. She rules. Also, she's comping a pair of tickets to her next fight with a crowd to a person who takes a picture of themselves wearing her "bitch loving season" t-shirt in the most in appropriate place, if anyone is interested lol

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hollandia posted:

He’s not white, op.

Yeah it's this, it's the CAA thing, it's the money talk. It's all of the things.

Plus, look at this smarmy little turd.

Hunter Campbell, UFC Chief Business Officer.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Yeah it's this, it's the CAA thing, it's the money talk. It's all of the things.

I was being a little facetious but yeah it’s a big combination of things. It also seems like they’re still haunted by Conor getting famous enough to be largely out of their control, so having ‘star power’ (for whatever that phrase means) is a bit of a double-edged sword.

They want to make sure all fighters know that they are replaceable, even the heavyweight champ.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Memento posted:

Plus, look at this smarmy little turd.

Hunter Campbell, UFC Chief Business Officer.

he could be 14 or 40

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

FishBowlRobot posted:

And merch: https://www.prowrestlingtees.com/angieoverkill

Particularly fond of the “Bitch loving Season” art tee and D.A.R.E. style USADA shirt, “To resist drugs and promote violence”.

Holy poo poo, the Bitch loving Season shirt is incredible.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Yeah I’d buy that right this second if I felt comfortable wearinf that in public at all

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
That was not what I expected. But it's cool as hell.
Tempted by her skull logo shirt tbh.

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

Hollandia posted:

That was not what I expected. But it's cool as hell.
Tempted by her skull logo shirt tbh.

Yeah, they’re all good

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

Nate Diaz!

ya his last fight against the hyped up Izzy teammate was even more Diaz. he pillow punched him and ate huge shots until the guy got tired and then he started digging in and clocked him

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Lol fans are racist (especially Brazil) but the face of the company is adesanya, was jones, DC was treated amazingly, etc etc. the company certainly isn’t. Back in the day chuck was huge but ramped was also beloved.

Ngannou is asking for more money to fight a smaller guy than usual and it’s rightfully pissing off the people in charge.

E: if that’s hunters real face I take it all back.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I figured I knew who Hunter was from the way Dana talks about him but turns out all this time I was mistaking him for Sean Shelby :shrug:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

tesilential posted:

E: if that’s hunters real face I take it all back.

Completely public LinkedIn profile

https://www.linkedin.com/in/hunter-campbell-848221194

Obviously that photo is taken in the best light and by a professional, but here he is with Dana

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:v: "What's your job title?"

:smug: "Chief business officer."

:v: "Well what do you do?"

:smug: "Y'know... business"

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

Smolka got staph and pulled out so Sean O'Malley loses his obviously favorably booked fight next weekend (and will likely get an even more favorably booked fight against a late replacement)

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

tesilential posted:

Ngannou is asking for more money to fight a smaller guy than usual and it’s rightfully pissing off the people in charge.

lmao, do go on :allears:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Literally every for-profit business is gonna be some level of "pissed off" when being asked for more money, it's what they do with it then that matters, a normal business would negotiate in good faith...the UFC announces an interim title fight.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I think the word you’re looking for is predictably, not rightfully. The UFC usually isn’t rightfully anything.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Every champ should be guaranteed a million dollars minimum per title fight. If the PPV or whatever doesn't sell enough buys to cover that, that's the promoter's fault.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

reeg posted:

Smolka got staph and pulled out so Sean O'Malley loses his obviously favorably booked fight next weekend (and will likely get an even more favorably booked fight against a late replacement)

Yup, there it is https://twitter.com/arielhelwani/status/1410326318462423052

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol, nicely done calling that perfectly :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At this rate I'll be fighting O'Malley before 2021 is up.

Just kidding I'd want more than 8/8