Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
TUF Recap time!

Episode 2: Stake Your Claim

Volko and his coaching team show up to cook for the boiiiis while they watch UFC 261. They react to Thug Rose's win and that's all the fights we get to see from that night. Some dudes are training at 11PM, too hyped from Rose's win (And we get to see Rose's TUF run to show that You Too Can Be Champion, I suppose).

Liudvik is a wrestley Armenian, living in Ukraine. He says "In Russian, is like car, no steering wheel. Crazy style". I assume that refers to his fighting style, or perhaps his nickname. Ortega is working on communicating with Liudvik through the language barrier. Ortega says the gameplan for Liudvik is to punch Mitch, stuff takedowns, and get the finish. Ok.

Mitch explains his combat sports journey: being a kid with a temper problem that fought his older brothers in the backyard, then started formally training as a tween ("I was like 13, and training 4 or 5 times a week"). He credits MMA with helping him get through his parents divorce.

Home Movie Time!

Mitch Raposo, from Fall River, MA (I was noticing a slight Lauzon-esque accent at times). Mitch has an excellent bulldog named Charlie. Mitch trains a lot with Rob Font, who does not show up on camera to say anything about Mitch's skills.

Mitch's fight prep is to stuff takedowns and punch.

Home Movie Time!

Liudvik's video is from Vegas, where he moved for TUF. He says his parents moved from Armenia to Ukraine when he was 3 for more opportunities. Edmen Shahbazyan facetimes Liudvik to show support, so that's nice.

Liudvik thought the original offer for TUF from his manager was a joke, and he hopes to win not just for himself, but to help Ukrainian people, Armenian people, all sorts of people.

Weigh-ins go off without a hitch, which is always good to see.

ULTIMATE FIGHTER FLASHBACK

Rampage breaks the door, the last time he threw effective combos in the UFC.

"Mitch does wrestling. Maybe I'll do wrestling, too." - Liudvik Sholinian

We're roughly at the halfway point of the episode's runtime, so I am gonna assume this goes however many rounds it is scheduled for (I think 2 with a possible 3rd sudden victory round in the event of a draw at the end of 2)

Tale of the Tape

Mitch Raposo
Height: 5'5"
Weight: 135.5lbs
Reach: 65"

Liudvik Sholinian
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 136lbs
Reach: 70"

Round 1!

Liudvik starts with some kicks. Raposo darts in to rip a left to the body and darts back out again. Liudvik keeps throwing mostly single kicks that aren't landing, while Mitch zips in, fires off a 2 to 5 punch combo, then zips out again. Liudvik shoots at around the halfway mark of the round, but Mitch stuffs it and they reset.

Mitch lands a few hooks as he crashes in, but neither man is showing a ton of striking accuracy. Most of the fight is Mitch circling around the outside with Liudvik chasing. Liudvik level changes with about 30 seconds left, but Mitch defends it. Round ends and I've gotta give the first to Mitch, 10-9.

In the corner, Volko says they've seen everything Liudvik has, and Mitch just needs to be aware of the angles Liudvik is presenting. Ortega tells Liudvik to mix up the levels of his kicks (Liudvick threw almost exclusively headkicks in the first), and to throw elbows over the top when Mitch crashes in for a combo.

Round 2!

Mitch starts with a nice combo. Liudvik back to throwing high kicks with no set ups. Mitch lands a shovel hook to the dingus, but Liudvik doesn't take any time to recover (It might have just grazed, but there was an audible thwack of the cup).

Liudvik shoots and finally gets Mitch down. Mitch gets his legs free and then escapes the body lock. Mitch keeps circling, landing shots, and Liudvik gets some more takedowns stuffed. Liudvik finally grabs Mitch takes his back standing, and then draaaags him to the floor. Liudvik gets his hooks in and starts throwing some punches to the face.

Mitch stands up, but it's not long and Liudvik gets the fight back to the ground. Round ends with Liudvik on top, and it should be his round, but a 19-19 draw.

Round 3!

Liudvik shoots, Mitch tries for the Travis Browne elbows, but Liudvik gets him down and takes Mitch's back. Mitch spins and Liudvik is on top, in guard. Liudvik shoves Mitch to the fence and throws some punches and elbows.

Mitch scrambles, and ends up taking Liudvik's back. Liudvik shakes Mitch off his back and ends up back on top in full guard. Herzog stands them up with about 30 seconds left, Liudvik shoots, Mitch jumps a gilly and does not get it. Round ends with Liudvik landing punches from on top. Round and fight should go to Liudvik. Winner, by decision, Liudvik Sholinian.

Team Ortega is now up 2-0, and the narrative of "well-rounded prospect versus underdog" is at 1-1, but the real narrative of "really good wrestling versus ok grappling" is 2-0. I'm sure Dana loves the wrestling meta dominating.

Next fight announcement!

Ryder Newman vs Tresean Gore

(I still dont like that fight picks alternate. Control should remain with the winning team :colbert:)

Dana says Ryder is a highly decorated, 2-time high school national wrestler, who spent some time at the Olympic training center. Tre Gore fights out of ATT: Georgia, and he says he is looking forward to digging his shin bone into Ryder's legs and head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
As a person who, for a time, ran a mma blog, wrote for a site for pay, and wrote for a site for no pay:

- Doing something on my own, I didn't expect to make money off it, it was just something I wanted to do for fun
- Once you start doing it for someone else, get paid (Alternatively, once you ask other folks to contribute, pay them something, even if it's like $5 for a preview/review/recap and a lil more for something that requires more effort)

I don't know anything about making websites or hosting or whatnot, but I know such things exist.

To make money at this, you either gotta sell ads or ask for subscriptions. Seanbaby's 1-900-HOTDOG patreon is a pretty good set up of the latter. That site has something pretty much every day, and maybe like 2 articles per week are free, the rest are behind the patreon paywall. So you can get folks interested without them having to give you a dollar, but other stuff is locked away.

I dunno, I am currently in Just Sayin Stuff mode, but the detailed breakdowns and other effortposts are always good reads

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

They put up a statue of GSP in his hometown of Ste Isidore, QB but all I can see is a super ripped Obama.

Also I've never been to Ste Isidore but Google's designated landmark/image is currently a convenience store with a Tim Hortons in it. Maybe they'll replace it with this statue now.

dat ees ehhhh da bronze obomber

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

awesomeolion posted:

Also check out the Assassin Baby's song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HJLRZJRqmo

extremely pro-click

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

[cranberries intensifies]

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

TUF Recap!

Episode 3: Bring in the Rhino

Team Volko is down 0-2, having lost their #1 pick in the last fight. Now, Volk's team has control of the fight selections, so let's see how things fare for them this week.

Raposo is sulking after the loss, adamant that Liudvik isn't better than him. He might be the first fighter, or even athlete, who can't stand, and in fact, hates losing.

Ortega and the coaches interrupt Liudvik doing a classic TUF Talking Head interview in a dark room. Mitch is upset!

Ryder Newman's Fight Prep is all about drilling wrestling. Newman says there aren't any strikers who can hang with Tresean, but a high level grappler could take him out.

Newman's nickname is "Rhino", which he got at a college party in West Virginia, when some drunk guys misheard the totally normal first name of "Ryder" as "Rhino". And now you know the rest of the story.

"Tresean is Explosive" counter: 1

Gore talks about sleeping in his car in the parking lot of the gym he trained at, in winter, with no heat and a faulty window that wouldn't roll up all the way.

Tresean Gore Home Video: He's from South Carolina, but is training in Norcross, GA. He says he's been married for "three to four" years, which doesn't seem like a contentious subject. It's a fixed date. Tresean's father wasn't around growing up, and is in jail even now. His mom got addicted, but he found BJJ, and is now at the American Top Team: Team Lima affiliate. Well, we saw Douglas Lima doing nothing on the bottom against Amosov last week, so that might not be the best for Gore :welp:

At the Team Ortega strategy meeting, Gore thinks Ryder is the type of guy to throw hooks and shoot a double. Ortega says he's a bar fighter that claims to do MMA "I do UFC" Gore offers. Tiki Ghosn is talking, for some reason that devout scholars cannot comprehend. Nobody has ever needed to hear Tiki Ghosn's opinion on anything.

Tresean Gore Fight Prep: Jab, avoid takedowns. Feint, make Ryder flinch. Gore says he's gonna shoot first because it'll be unexpected. Miles Hunsinger, a Team Ortega guy, trained with Ryder at Xtreme Couture, but won't divulge Ryder's secrets.

Tresean tells Ryder that Miles refused to give up intel, and Tresean and Ryder agree to have a good rear end fight. "Ryder has good vibes" - Bryan Battle

Ryder has a cleaning business and is trying to become an insurance broker, in addition to being a fighter. At least one of those has a potential to provide health insurance and some type of retirement opportunities.

Ryder Newman Home Movie: Ryder's out of Vegas, training at Xtreme Couture. Ryder gets to train with Jake Shields and Brad Tavares.

Weigh ins are once again uneventful, with no footage of the cut being shown. Maybe UFC finally realized that the horrible punishment fighters put themselves through to potentially gain a negligible advantage isn't the kind of content for the ESPN crowd. They jabber during the face-off, but cooler heads prevail and it gets defused with a bro handshake.

THE ULTIMATE FIGHTER FLASHBACK, BROUGHT TO YOU BY TOYO TIRES is:

That time Uriah Hall straight up killed Adam Cella with a spinning wheel kick. Now that it's on ESPN+ and not Spike TV, you get the full, uncensored version, which sees Dana White go "loving GOD! YOU making GBS threads ME?! HOLY poo poo!" as Cella's body lays on the canvas. Repeat after me, class

sorry adam

Ryder declares "no takedowns" and that he's going to open the fight with a flying, spinning heel kick. Tresean isn't exactly buying that.

Tresean says he had a dream about his grandma (i think dead grandma?) telling him he was going to win. So he's got that going for him.

We got about 15 minutes of run time left, so if you add in the breakdown and next week's fight selection, I'm guessing this goes midway into round 2

Fight Time!

Tale of the Tape

Ryder "Rhino" Newman
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185.5lbs
Reach: 74"

Tresean "Mr. Vicious" Gore
Height: 6'0"
Weight: 186lbs
Reach: 73.5"

Round 1

Gore doesn't shoot and Newman doesn't jump or spin, so I'm fuckin peeved about these GOD drat LIARS. Gore throws some nice front leg body kicks and rear leg low kicks. Tresean with a solid diet of lowkicks and Newman just slurps 'em down.

Newman lands some punches, a few to the body, some up top, but hasn't connected with much of anything after 4 minutes. Gore shoots, Ryder defends. Ryder shoots, Gore drops briefly to his knees, but recovers back to a vertical base. Newman ends the round pushing Tresean against the fence. Pretty sure Gore is up 1-0

In the corner, Gore asks if he won the round, and to confirm that Newman didn't take him down at the end of the round. Volkanovski tells Newman to look out for Gore's kicks, but that Tresean is only throwing one-offs.

Round 2

Both men start the round with some jabs, and Tresean is back to looking for low and high kicks. Newman slips a jab and lands a nice cross, but Gore is unfazed. Ryder's getting a bit better about avoiding Gore's single, naked lowkicks.

Big shot from Newman, Gore defends and they separate. Tresean lands a good highkick. Gore with a good cross.

Gore landing some stiff jabs, forces a shot out of Newman, but Tresean escapes. Round is over, should go to Gore, 2-0.

Tresean wins by unanimous decision. Team Volko is down 0-3 and both top picks have lost. Guess you kill the Rhino by lowkicks.

"Tresean kicks like a drat-fuckin' horse" - Brian Ortega

Ryder says his downfall was thinking Tresean was better than he actually is, making himself hesitate too much. You'd think about a few minutes of not being blown away, you'd realize his actual skill level? But alas, I am no fighter, but a truer essence of a warrior, A Poster.

Next week! Fight picked once again by Alex "I am pitching an 0-for" Volkanovski, Dustin Lampros of Team Volk vs Vincent Murdock.

Dustin says he keeps a golf glove him on at all times "because you never know when you'll have to tee off on someone" and now I want him to lose more than I've wanted just about any non-criminal in TUF history.

Also next week, Vince shares details of his brain disease with Team Ortega, so either: 1) he won't be medically cleared to fight or 2) this was something he had as a kid but is now a Struggle that He Done Overcomed to make him More Stronger.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

Is this cause of China?

it's because he's wearing non-venum gear during a fight-week media obligation

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

CommonShore posted:

Wait, is it losers pick the fights this season on TUF?

Pretty sure the set up is going to be:

- Volk got first pick of fighters, and since they alternated divisions, he got his first choice of bantam and middleweights
- Ortega got first pick of fights, both bantam and middleweights

Then Volk picks a bantam and middle, then it should go back to Ortega, in a completely ridiculous set up.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Southpaugh posted:

Nate is infamously one of the biggest men to have ever set foot in the stocktagon.

Lets see maximov fight uh whos in the top 15 of lhw , uh. Uhm. I could maybe name the top 5 but thats it.

15. Floppy Arm Hill
14. Crute Brute
13. Cirkunov (He's still kicking around? Good for him)
12. Bearjew
11. Ryan Spann (I think i've seen this man before)
10. Johnny Walker (he's booked for Thiago Santos in October)

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

I heard about this and assumed it was the other Anderson Silva. You know, the lovely kickboxer.

I would have loved to see JCCJr absolutely balloon up to face a heavyweight kickboxer.

Maybe next year!

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

TUF Recap!

Episode 4: On My Time

Team Volko, more like Team Volk0-3, am i rite???

Ryder wants Tresean to win the whole competition. Tresean is honored to have shared the cage with Ryder, even if God didn't grant him the opportunity to win by KO. They are determined to team up and beat the rest of the house at foosball.

Volkanovski gives a motivational speech about gettin the vibes up, bby! Michael Chiesa shows up as a guest coach for Volko and is here for Team Sikjitsu training partner Brady Hiestand's birthday.

Tresean invites Ortega and the coaches over for steak dinner. Vincent Murdock, who's fighting next, seems to be enjoying a sea moss smoothie. The guys bond over being dads.

Vincent Murdock Fight Prep!

Team Ortega is reviewing Dustin Lampros's Tapology rankings and believe Dustin is lacking in experience. Sounds like they want to drag him into deep waters and watch Dustin break due to the pressure. Vincent is looking to showcase "last pick, motherfucker!" powers.

Lampros and I think Hiestand share tragic stories over piles of leafy greens. Lampros's mom had some bad neck surgeries and ended up getting addicted to pain pills. Dustin says he was living in Florida for 3 years, but moved back home because his younger brother was entering 8th grade and his mom was dealing with addiction. He says he told his mom that this situation was affecting him, so Dustin moved back to Florida, and a few weeks later, his mom had passed.

Dustin Lampros Home Video

Dustin's out of Boca Raton, but is originally from a small town in Illinois. He was bullied by a kid in school and wanted to learn how to kick the kid's rear end. He met Tyron Woodley and ended up training at Woodley's gym for a bit, before moving to south Florida. He's currently training out of Sanford MMA, and he gets an endorsement from Mike Chandler on his home video.

Dustin Lampros Fight Prep!

The main thrust for this segment seems to be Dustin getting his weight down while maintaining good energy in the fight. Dustin's nickname is "Scrappy" so the gameplan is to push the pace and be aggressive against Vince.

Vince explains that in 2019, he got a call from the UFC, but the day before his fight, his brain scan showed an abnormality that ended up being a disease called moyamoya, which is when the arteries in the brain get blocked at the base. It put him at risk for a stroke, so he had 11-hour emergency brain surgery. He says had someone not let go of a choke or if he didn't tap to a choke, he could have died from moyamoya. He came back after 6 months and he got cleared for competition.

Vincent Murdock Home Movie!

Vince is in Sacramento, training out of Team Alpha Male, which is odd because he seems to own and wear t-shirts. Vince says he met his wife as wingman for Clay Guida meeting a lady at a bar, who had a friend in tow.

We're finally looking at weight cutting, and Dustin is in the portable sauna. Volkanovski and crew show up to help with the cut. Dustin's around 147 the day before weigh-ins. Dustin is impressed that Volko is with him the whole time, helping him cut weight. Dustin is a little heavy, so he's gotta get dude and go behind the apron of shame. He's still a little heavy, so he has one extra hour remaining to cut less than a pound. On attempt #2, Dustin hits the limit, so the fight is on!

Today's TUF Flashback is the TOTES EPICCCC PRANK WARZZZZZ BETWEEN BISPING AND MAYHEM MILLER. REMEMBER WHEN THEY TOOK THE TIRES OFF JASON'S CAR OR WHEN THEY BLOCKED IN BISPING'S TRUCK WITH HUGE CONCRETE BARRICADES? OR WHEN THEY FIRE EXTINGUISHER'D DUDES IN THE LOCKER ROOM, OR USED THE POWER OF MARIACHI TO ASSAULT THE OTHER GUYS? BROOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Tale of the Tape

Dustin Lampros
Height: 5'7"
Reach: 69.5"

Vincent Murdock
Height: 5'6"
Reach: 64.5"

Round 1

Dustin starts with a heavy low kick. Vince looks for a big right hand, but Dustin avoids it. Vince briefly changes level, but Dustin shucks him off. Vince lands some good low kicks. Both guys aggressive, closing distance and landing some good shots.

Vince lands a huge right hand that drops Dustin. Vince pounces, Dustin tries to get back up, but Vince hits a huge knee that drops Dustin again and the fight is over.

Team Volkanovski is 0-4. Oofa-doofa.

Volko is peeved that Ortega and his crew are constantly late, and Ortega says Volk should focus on winning the fights, not on Oretga being late, and it sounds like he says Team Volk is poo poo. Everyone starts bickering and it is very dumb and high school bullshit.

Fight Announcement!

Kemran Lachinov vs Bryan Battle

It's last pick versus last pick to determine who truly is the least good middleweight.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Teddy Atlas usually has pretty great interviews, especially with fighters

Check this one out with Moreno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHXZCUK5KEI

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Lewis vs Gane for interim title on August 7 because apparently Ngannou was unavailable for a title fight in July or August

e: this is a dumb decision and sucks real bad, folks

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

https://twitter.com/aaronbronsteter/status/1409682705776709632

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Like.... what's the harm in saying the two dudes are fighting to be the number one contender for Ngannou? Why the gently caress does it have to be an interim title? Interim for what, the champion is still there!

shiny gold on poster makes the hooples buy the ppv

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Hollandia posted:

He’s not white, op.

I was gonna go with "he talk funny" but he's more understandable than Stipe, so yeah, it's this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

TUF Recap!

Episode 5: Hard Headed

Team Volko, down 0-4, like a whole squad of dingus losers. Volkanovski isn't a fan of Ortega talking himself up, citing that the fighters did the winning, not Brian. Oooooh, drama!

Mitch Raposo thinks Ortega is classless, and is sick of Andre's poo poo. Mitch and Andre argue in the house about Ortega's honor and how genuine a dude he is. Looks like we got a Vibes Issue, brah.

Bryan Battle Fight Prep!

Volk says Bryan is a good listener and keen to take instruction. His fight footage shows some decent grappling skills. Volk says Kemran will be looking to throw heavy hands, but Bryan's got range to keep things at the proper distance.

Bryan's nickname is "Pooh Bear" and it is ridiculous to hear him say that Pooh Bear is the guy who gets into the cage, and Bryan Battle is the normal, day to day guy. Bryan Battle is the name of an low-tier Image comics guy from the 90s.

Ortega and the coach crew show up at the house and Ryder says the foosball dream team is him and Tresean, but Ortega is adamant that he'll kick both guys asses at the same time.

Kemran and Liudvik discuss how their parents aren't fans of their fighting careers. Kemran lives at home with his parents and is married with a kid.

Kemran Lachinov Home Movie

Kemran's out of West Springfield, MA. He was born in Uzbekistan, moved to Russia at a young age, and came to America for high school, but him and his family are Turkish. He says every time he lost a soccer game, he'd get into a fight, so his coach told him to ditch soccer and get into fighting. Kemran trains at Team Link in Ludlow, with forum fave, Gabe "Joke, You Are a Bad" Gonzaga.

Kemran Lachinov Fight Prep

Kemran wants to keep the fight standing, but feels he's capable of winning on the ground if Battle looks to take things down. Kemran has a ton of experience, with like 5 fights on Bellator prelims.

Bryan says his non-fight job is as a carpenter, and he's always worked when not fighting.

Bryan Battle Home Video

Bryan is out of Charlotte, NC. He trains with a guy who owns a carpentry business, so he works for that dude. He trains at Hayastan, which is a Gokor Chivichyan and Gene Lebell joint venture. Bryan didn't have a combat sports background prior to getting into MMA, and he started out at heavyweight. Bryan is the middle of 6 siblings, all 5 being sisters. Bryan's married with one kid on the way.

Weigh-ins go off without a hitch.

The Ultimate Fighter Flashback, Presented by Toyo Tires!

Hey! Remember the time when Claudia Gadelha dunked Dana White on the coaches challenge? Haw haw, the big angry tomato man became all wet!

Anyway, it's freakin fight day and there's like 20 minutes left in this one, so expect a decision, probably even a sudden victory 3rd round

Tale of the Tape

Bryan Battle
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185lbs
Reach: 77"

Kemran Lachinov
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 186lbs
Reach: 72"

Round 1

Battle heads to the outside, throwing single pot shots. Kemran tries to move in, and lands a decent overhand. Both guys throwing single shots, Kemran going to the body with some of his punches. Kemran closes distance and shoots, pushing Battle against the fence. Bryan separates and circles away. Bryan with some good low kicks. Kemran shoots again, but Battle defends, and lands some knees from the clinch. Battle breaks away and Kemran stalks after him, hands down. Battle lands a few shots, but doesn't slow down Lachinov, and he shoots another takedown. Battle defends and lands some more good knees. Kemran dives for a leglock, but the round ends with Battle hammerfisting. Easily should be 10-9 Battle.

Round 2

Kemran looking for body kicks. Battle landing with good jabs and high kicks from the outside. Kemran looks for another takedown, but Battle defends and goes back to the knees. Kemran starts winging huge overhands, and slips off a miss. Battle gets on top, and lands a few shots. Kemran gives up his back and escapes. Kemran finally gets one takedown but can't keep Battle on the mat. Battle hits a low knee and Lachinov keels over. The pause in action is brief, and the fight is back on.

Kemran is looking for overhands and takedowns, having little success with either. Battle defends, lands some knees and then separates. Kemran drops for a leg lock again, but Bryan escapes and gets on top with little time left. Battle should take this round as well.

Winner by unanimous decision, Bryan Battle. Kemran looked very basic.

Ortega says Kemran had success by putting pressure on Battle, and basically says "why not just get punched in the face as your defense if the punches don't knock you out", which is insane for any coach to say, let alone by the guy that got his whole entire poo poo broke by 99999 Max Holloway punches.

Fight Selection!

Dan Argueta vs Ricky Turcios

Episode 6 preview: Pranks!