Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Aye Doc posted:

nate diaz's last fights where he went 5 rounds were in 2016 and 2012

And he lost both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Randleman's main legacy in the sport is making two Pride Legends look really loving vulnerable and bad and I'll love him for that.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Randleplex got me into mma. (lol I was a big fedor fan :shh: )

none of us are without sin. I was a big Houston Alexander fan, which is far, far more embarassing.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

This lead me to look at Houston Alexander's post UFC record and yes it is bad. But also he was one of Jan's KSW fights. I didn't realize Houston had been active up to 2017

One that you really should watch is his Shark Fights match with Sokoudjou. It's the most b-league thing. Alexander nearly died but then his opponent gasses really loving hard and its all commentated on by Don Frye and Bas Rutten, who are extremely drunk.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Untrustable posted:

I've been posting in these threads for years. So I would like you all to extend me some grace for what I am about to ask.

What is roidtech?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBjOPlMOoU

Lmao this owns, pretty sure Houston was out like, 2 or 3 separate times in that 1st round

E) also Bas starts singing at one point

There's another fight on that card between Brock Larson and some other muscly blond guy and the two honestly get worse and worse at telling them apart as the fight goes on. I swear by the end they're getting it wrong on purpose.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

BrotherJayne posted:

... I'm a Fedor fan... and Saku... ?

Do we not like them 'round here or some poo poo?

There was an exceptionally annoying Fedor fan here a long time ago, called 'Socrates.' As a result, the board's regulars spent so much time having to rebut his really stupid posts about Fedor that he ended up regarded negatively. Kind of like how a lot of people loved mocking BJ Penn before his career got really depressing, thanks to his incredibly annoying fanbase.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Memento posted:

That moron got banned because of their constant refrain that it was completely OK that Fedor trained with neo nazis and when they were told to knock it off or get banned, they doubled down and got banned. Also they kept posting like "dear sir" and "mayhap your post is an ad hominen" etc etc the exact kind of poo poo idiots post when they're trying to be smart.

I remember the thread and it was the first one I read on this forum. gently caress, I even remember the series of posts that got him banned. He was sure that fedor had gotten rid of the neo nazis for being neo nazis. Fatherdog (come back fatherdog) of course had quotes on hand from the neo nazis saying they'd left because they couldn't keep up with Fedor's training regimen. The pages after each of his losses were loving incredible. It was also the era of Ubereem.
Happy days

It wasn't just one poster either, there was an entire rabid fanbase all over the internet that would never shut up about how amazing he was. And then just doubled down when he started losing.

e] I don't mind admitting I was a fan, or other people being fans, as long as we're honest about his actual abilities and record.

They were actually the most vocal during that period after his Pride run when he'd fight someone irrelevant or really fat once a year. They expanded his fairly brief but genuinely impressive time in Rings and Pride, about 5 or 6 years depending on how many early and later fights you count, into "a decade of dominance"

They were still ranking him number 1 right up to when Werdum beat him.

gently caress, remember Wamma? The photo of their closed down offices was a forum favourite for a bit

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Oh yeahhhh. "oh my god, Fedor was cheated! He wouldn't lose a fair fight!"
*slo mo of Hendo escaping, throwing a legal punch, and crumbling Fedor to the mat*

*a series of instances of Fedor, the greatest fighter to ever grace the sport, getting technically outboxed by Bigfoot Silva, the slowest man on the planet*

That loss produced his observation that 'weight classes exist for a reason' and it was shortly before Daniel Cormier, who was smaller and fatter than Fedor and much less experienced, flattened Bigfoot in the first round.

CommonShore posted:

Fedor fights were typically fun but you had to be taking some pretty deep swigs of the koolaid to claim that he was without any doubt that he was the best heavyweight in the world.

And, even more so, to think that being the best heavyweight was indicative of being the best in the sport, given how poo poo heavyweight has been at virtually every point in its history

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Orange Carlisle posted:

His lead right into clinch takedown all in one motion was pretty rad to watch when he did it

That was my big takeaway from re-watching his highlight reel

He was good for a bit, pretty well rounded, and was tough as poo poo, mentally and physically. Like a lot of good heavyweights, he was defined as much by a lack of glaring weaknesses as great strengths.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Not a UFC event, but I think Anderson deserves the mention here anyways.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4GGGoRCxT8
His opponent, JCC Jr, missed weight by a couple pounds. The fat and never lived up to his potential boxer will probably win over the wrung out MMA legend.

I heard about this and assumed it was the other Anderson Silva. You know, the lovely kickboxer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

lmao

So good, I hope rockhold goes for one more run he'd be good for some inadvertant comedy, hes got huge 80s jock energy about him.

It's amazing how every one of his losses is him getting knocked out by someone who, on paper, he's way better than, and he still won't keep his loving hands up. There's a level on which you have to admire that kind of dedication to losing fights in really stupid way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Sorry, this is from the GDT but it's a genuinely interesting question

beep by grandpa posted:

What do you think feels worse

being on the losing end of a 50-45 or being finished in the first minute of round 1

People, both fans and fighters, regularly convince themselves that quick knockouts don't count, especially since there's a bit of data to suggest that they aren't indicative (the Cain/JDS trilogy, for instance) but if you had the full length of the fight, every round in which to work, and you still lost, can't convinced yourself of poo poo.

I've spoken to more than one person who's completely convinced that circa 2011 Vitor Belfort had Anderson Silva's number. The loss is explained away with 'he just got caught'

You can't really explain a 25 minute one sided fight away like that.

You have to love the UFC finally having the platonic ideal of a heavyweight champ as champ, who is perfect and marketable from literally every perspective, and they immediately try to nickel and dime them.