Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I am dumb as poo poo but one area I am especially stupid on is snakes. Specifically, how snakes move, I just don't get it. I've even held snakes lots of times and felt them moving but I still have absolutely no idea how they do it. Please explain it like I'm a complete idiot (because I am). Visual aids appreciated but not required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo
Sneakily

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just get on your belly and crawl forward without using your arms or legs. They're just one big muscle that drags themselves around with themselves.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

look at a milipede moving

now just pretend thats all happening under the skin through muscles, not legs

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Your tongue can move back and forth in your mouth and side to side, right? It's just a big muscle. That's it. Snakes use a type of undulation to move around, typically using compression behind that stereotypical slithering motion to get to where they're going. Some snakes also use the scales on their belly to assist in moving, too, to a small degree.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Great big wrigglers

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

They're just one big muscle that drags themselves around with themselves.

I gotta muscle like that for ya pal

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Vince MechMahon posted:

Just get on your belly and crawl forward without using your arms or legs. They're just one big muscle that drags themselves around with themselves.

I'm pretty sure they don't move around by flailing wildly

GolfHole posted:

look at a milipede moving

now just pretend thats all happening under the skin through muscles, not legs

I don't know how those move either!

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

A wizard does it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they hold onto the ground with their scales and then they engage in one of the Four Types of Approved Movement:

Someone who has been spying on snakes, presumably to establish whether they are engaging in counterrevolutionary thought posted:

Four Types of Snake Movement:

Serpentine: Also called lateral undulation, this is the typical side-to-side motion used by snakes over rough ground or in the water.

Concertina: Snakes coil into alternating curves before straightening themselves to propel themselves forward.

Sidewinding: Snakes bend in waves both side to side and in a vertical plane to lift the body to form just a few contact points with the ground. This helps rattlesnakes traverse hot sand or climb dunes.

Rectilinear: Specialized muscles move the belly skin of a snake, propelling it forward in a straight line. This allows snakes to slip through burrows not much bigger than they are.

so think of them as being one big whippy foot

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Your tongue can move back and forth in your mouth and side to side, right? It's just a big muscle. That's it. Snakes use a type of undulation to move around, typically using compression behind that stereotypical slithering motion to get to where they're going. Some snakes also use the scales on their belly to assist in moving, too, to a small degree.

Compression? So like doing really long full body crunches? What's with the zig zag, why don't they just zoot forward?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

they hold onto the ground with their scales and then they engage in one of the Four Types of Approved Movement:

[url=https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180112132922.htm]

so think of them as being one big whippy foot

lol

Rectalinear

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

They go "Sss" because each S stands for "suck" because they like to suck cock

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I've got a trouser snake for you OP.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Every day is ab day

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Hope this helps OP

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

pro starcraft loser posted:

Hope this helps OP

uhhh no??? thats how worms move. completely different animals :crossarms:

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

snakes dont move op, the universe simply moves around them

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you can usually move a snake by playing a violin concerto

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Who What Now posted:

Compression? So like doing really long full body crunches? What's with the zig zag, why don't they just zoot forward?

Too much weight/length (yes this is fresh for dick jokes). By curving they can use that compression to move forward with less effort therefore burning fewer calories. Keep in mind, these little dudes gotta hunt to eat.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They move by pushing off of things (they zigzag to find new things to push off of and for more friction), OP

Here's a video with a snake girl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-AKPFiIEEw

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Like this op

https://i.imgur.com/sRCCRYE.gifv

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

They move like this, op
https://i.imgur.com/pXH62hi.mp4

brb, gonna necro the lamia thread

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HOMO ERECTUS posted:

snakes dont move op, the universe simply moves around them

Snakes are the only element known to man that aren't affected by the rotation of the Earth. They just appear to be moving as the Earth turns.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Do snakes poop out the bones or do the bones sit in their stomach so long that they dissolve?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

hmm, it's nice, but i feel this would be better if it was posted in every thread on the forums

Who What Now posted:

Do snakes poop out the bones or do the bones sit in their stomach so long that they dissolve?

yes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Who What Now posted:

They poop out a glob of feces, fur, and bones similar to owls.

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

snakes are simply long dogs without hair or legs. they move through sheer dog determination

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's easy when you're friends with Satan

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Slitherrr

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Just say no to leg

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Wait til you see their tongues

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Snakes are pretty cool in my opinion, and nature thinks so too, considering how long they’ve been around basically unchanged.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

considering how long they’ve been around basically unchanged.

Same as my wardrobe

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Snakes are pretty cool in my opinion, and nature thinks so too, considering how long they’ve been around basically unchanged.

Snakes are extremly cool and I love holding pet snakes. And, God willing, someone will be able to teach me how they move without saying they move like a big muscle would because I don't know how one of my muscles would climb in a burrow so that's a very unhelpful metaphor guys :mad:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
invisible legs

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Who What Now posted:

Snakes are extremly cool and I love holding pet snakes. And, God willing, someone will be able to teach me how they move without saying they move like a big muscle would because I don't know how one of my muscles would climb in a burrow so that's a very unhelpful metaphor guys :mad:

like a slug

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Who What Now posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't move around by flailing wildly
How do you know

They look all slick and elegant but in their heads they're constantly like WHAT THE gently caress IS HAPPENING

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
if someone cut off your arms and legs and dumped your corpulent torso on the ground, could you wiggle and roll around pathetically? yes?

snakes work the same way. NEXT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
They use their arms to drag themselves along the ground