Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
This is apparently a year old story, but it's still going strong - people are betting shitloads of money on amateur level Russian ping pong, streamed in hundreds of matches a day.

Article

quote:

They play the matches in quiet, sparsely decorated rooms in Moscow, in tournaments that run every day and at all hours, with a hodgepodge of athletes who vary drastically in age and, in many cases, actual athleticism.
[...]
In Colorado, for instance, table tennis drew $12.4 million in wagers across all sports books in November, making it the third biggest sport for bettors there, behind only professional and college football.

they play in a variety of rooms, sometimes tarp covered, sometimes bare, but always with no commentary or spectators (apart from a guy flipping score numbers)

I won't link it because I don't trust the site I used, but it took about 30 seconds of googling the Moscow Liga Pro to be streaming a live, bets placed match between two random dudes. This is being played right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Amateur sport is often a hotbed of match fixing and betting. Look up the Canadian soccer league for a good laugh. Hundreds of thousands bet in like Thailand on matches that had attendances of "family members" and maybe 30 other people.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
ahh gently caress. thanks a lot Aard. Youre the one who is gonna have to explain to my wife how I just spent all of our savings betting on russian ping pong

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Ping pong is more interesting than horses running imo

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

You can bet on anything. Ping pong can be fun to watch though so at least its interesting to bet on.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
What about the Moscow Ligma Pro?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

What about the Moscow Ligma Pro?

isn't that a part of BOFA? no thanks, that organization is nuts

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What are the odds this is yet another money-laundering scheme but slightly more elaborate/entertaining than most

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Dude, give me a paddle. I don't have to cheat. But, I must say the Korean technique ... I could never master. I would say it dominates.

Plump and Ready
Jan 28, 2009
How dare you insult the institution that isping pong, it's an honorable sport.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Synytskyil is hardly just some random dude.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Aardvark! posted:

isn't that a part of BOFA? no thanks, that organization is nuts

What happened to the Sugundese players was hosed up but we shouldn't discount it altogether.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

one day i will be the sepp blatter of russian ping pong

E: PIPO

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Yeah, well you know who else likes ping pong?

King Kong

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

EorayMel posted:

What are the odds this is yet another money-laundering scheme but slightly more elaborate/entertaining than most

Roughly 100%

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Prussian ring pong is more my speed op

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The world would be a better place if every russian just up and died because they sure as hell want to kill everyone else.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

lol that this is anything OTHER than the Russian mafia moving money, c'mon man.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

russian jai'alaiaiaialaiala

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

The world would be a better place if every russian just up and died because they sure as hell want to kill everyone else.

this is disgusting n crude

ukraine should annex russia

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mooey Cow posted:

Yeah, well you know who else likes ping pong?

King Kong

I heard he plays with his ding dong

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Yaldabaoth posted:

I'm curious what you think would replace 'Russia' should that central state collapse and 'die'.
I'm sure a hegemony of equally ruled, peaceful, and administered states would result?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

hmm perhaps we could just give it all to germany

haha wow as it turns out,

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Bullshit, there is no proof!

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I've watched many King Kong movies and I'm afraid to tell you he doesn't have a ding dong.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

anyone ever watch that ping pong movie Balls of Fury?

It's got Christopherer Walken in a kimono, and not much else goin on.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

sure okay posted:

anyone ever watch that ping pong movie Balls of Fury?

It's got Christopherer Walken in a kimono, and not much else goin on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXhAnqn1s2I

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Big Beef City posted:

I'm curious what you think would replace 'Russia' should that central state collapse and 'die'.
I'm sure a hegemony of equally ruled, peaceful, and administered states would result?

I don't give a poo poo about replacing Russia with anything, that country is such an existential threat to the rest of the world that it can be reduced to a lifeless wasteland for all I care.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Yaldabaoth posted:

I don't give a poo poo about replacing Russia with anything, that country is such an existential threat to the rest of the world that it can be reduced to a lifeless wasteland for all I care.

those in glasses houses

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Statutory Ape posted:

those in glasses houses

The world would be better off without any superpowers at all, all they ever do is gently caress over the smaller countries in their perpetual pissing match to be the sole survivor after the rest of the world is reduced to a cinder.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lmao at thinking that these smaller countries wouldn't be doing it themselves if they had a chance.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
gently caress ping pong, let's talk POLITICS

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Are you contesting that smaller countries would love to have world scale ping-pong events if they had a chance? Even now some loathsome finnish bog person is gritting their teeth in shame

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Table tennis is better than death of millions imo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Railing ground up knock off OTC meds to illegally enhance my Russian ping pong tournament performance

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Icochet posted:

Table tennis is better than death of millions imo

wow save the hot takes for CSPAM buddy

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hell, even normal tennis probably is

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

American pigdogs somewhere are probably designing some kind of a multimillion dollar ping pong drone that will be easily bested by an eastern European teenager with 1 ruble paddle and a ball

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
I have Russian family and they keep sending american blue jeans over to Russia for beaucoup rubles and when I reported it to Bernie Sanders he said "get a life"

Anyway, I bet $levis that they will smacc that ballski

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Do they play ping pong? This is very important, a question of national security in fact.