Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I guess I'm showing my age because I didn't even realize the Gigabyte mobo for my build has built-in wifi. I'm used to having to install a separate card or use a USB adapter if I want wifi.

Might be better suited for the Networking thread, but is there any recommended antenna extender for these? I need an extension, otherwise the little stick antennas will be shoved in a corner with bad signal. I'm looking at things like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eightwood-Antennae-Extension-Computer-Bluetooth/dp/B09XHBFXXH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I think they're all much of a muchness.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I think they're all much of a muchness.

Thanks! Also, I learned a new phrase today!

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

DizzyBum posted:

Thanks! Also, I learned a new phrase today!

I'm an English teacher so this is extra satisfying!

Regarding WiFi antenna I think the functional parts of them are all basically the same so just choose one that's the length and form factor you like. I have wired ethernet but for the Bluetooth side of things I didn't like the giant shark fin style antenna that came with my gigabyte board so I bought some tiny low profile antenna a few cm long that screw right into the ports which works well enough for a controller or whatever.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

That's how they should be configured anyway? One fan attached on the radiator above the RAM, one in the middle clipped onto the left radiator stack, both oriented to push air through the fins and exhaust it out the back of the case.

Edit: I just checked the manual and yeah it does seem they have the fans installed 'backwards', which I have to imagine isn't even possible with a lot of motherboards having huge VRAM heatsinks and I/O shields these days.

There's one or two specific use cases for having CPU cooler fans setup as intakes but for the majority of users it makes more sense to set them up to exhaust.

Huh, I thought it was one fan facing outward, blowing outward on one of the sides (I would think preferably the one nearest to the back of the case), then the fan in between the towers that is blowing towards the first fan.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

Huh, I thought it was one fan facing outward, blowing outward on one of the sides (I would think preferably the one nearest to the back of the case), then the fan in between the towers that is blowing towards the first fan.

This would be inefficient and not pick up and emit early as much of the heat from the radiator stack on the right next to the RAM as the configuration I mentioned.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Like this. With the air directed towards that white fan at the rear.
(unless I'm totally misunderstanding the question)

Used to be that some people thought that because "heat rises" you'd have the fans pointing up lmao
(not that having some fans in the roof of the case is a bad idea, that's just a different part of the equation)

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Mar 22, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

YerDa Zabam posted:

Like this. With the air directed towards that white fan at the rear.
(unless I'm totally misunderstanding the question)

Yeah that's right. Thermal convection basically has no effect in a computer case once you introduce fans and their resulting air currents.

I do have the fans on my fuma 2 in my nr200 mounted as intake, but that's very specific to the use case of having an FE 30 series card that dumps hot air directly into where the rightmost fan would otherwise be taking its air from. It results in a slightly cooler CPU but slightly warmer GPU.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
Hi ive been out of the pc building scene for 10 years and im looking to put together a good high-end gaming PC and was looking at something like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($279.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($213.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Corsair MP600 CORE XT 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($258.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($789.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT H9 Flow ATX Mid Tower Case ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master MWE Gold 850 - V2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2195.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-22 16:09 EDT-0400

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

dsf posted:

Hi ive been out of the pc building scene for 10 years and im looking to put together a good high-end gaming PC and was looking at something like this:

For gaming purposes you absolutely don't need more than 32GB of RAM. Barely any games required over 16GB until recently so 32 will be fine for a good while yet. DDR5-6000/CL30 is a sweet spot for AMD, much faster is actually detrimental iirc. You can also probably save $100 on your motherboard and go for a B650 chipset which will still have plenty of I/O and everything else you'd need.

The storage also seems expensive, although that's because like 6 months ago it was insanely cheap due to a surfeit of production.

I hope you have a nice monitor to go with those parts! Anything below a 1440p high refresh rate screen would be bottlenecking your build, so if you're still at 1080p you could take the savings from above and put them towards a new monitor.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

And if you already have a nice monitor/tv (1440 or 4k) then you could use the saved money to upgrade to a 4080 super

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Was gonna suggest that but even at $1k it's over $200 extra for 10-15% better performance, max, which feels a hard sell

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Butterfly Valley posted:

This would be inefficient and not pick up and emit early as much of the heat from the radiator stack on the right next to the RAM as the configuration I mentioned.

Oooh, I confused what was said in the assembly video I watched: I thought they said that the fan blows in the same direction as the side of the logo, they actually said that the air goes in from the side with the logo on it and out the opposite end.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Butterfly Valley posted:

For gaming purposes you absolutely don't need more than 32GB of RAM. Barely any games required over 16GB until recently so 32 will be fine for a good while yet. DDR5-6000/CL30 is a sweet spot for AMD, much faster is actually detrimental iirc. You can also probably save $100 on your motherboard and go for a B650 chipset which will still have plenty of I/O and everything else you'd need.

The storage also seems expensive, although that's because like 6 months ago it was insanely cheap due to a surfeit of production.

I hope you have a nice monitor to go with those parts! Anything below a 1440p high refresh rate screen would be bottlenecking your build, so if you're still at 1080p you could take the savings from above and put them towards a new monitor.

thanks I thought the RAM might be overkill but wanted to make sure. looks like I can go with a half cost motherboard too. that is interesting about the monitor, right now I have a 165 hz 1ms refresh monitor I got cheap around xmas but it is only 1080p. I think ill be ok with that for now but will definitely look into getting a nice 1440p one in the near future.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
For those who built with a peerless assassin before: do you recommend installing it before placing the MB in the case? Because if I do that I feel like I would not have as easy access to connections or standoffs in that area, but if I install it after I put it in the MB i would have a tough time attaching the fans because of lack of hand space and it looks like you need to really stretch the hooks from the videos I have seen.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Not being able to attach fan cables and the CPU power is much more of an issue than getting the fan clips on in my experience with another dual tower cooler in a much smaller case than most people use, so motherboard in case first. You’ll be able to get a thumb on each side which is all you need to stretch the fan clips on.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
I chucked one in my old system fairly recently, and didn't have any difficulty getting it mounted on my 3600. I can't remember the last time I used anything except a stock cpu cooler and I was pretty impressed with how relatively effortless it was to install.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I prefer to mount the cooler before putting it into the case. Mainly because I want to bench test things first. The peerless assassin is small enough that it doesn't matter much.

A D15 is a different story :v:

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

A new build I asked a quote on:

Intel 14700 KF
ASUS PRIME B760-PLUS DDR5
Gskill 2x32gb ddr5 6000
Palit 4060ti 16gb
id-cooling se 214 xt pro 120mm black pwm premium high end cpu cooler

Now the supplier is coming back and recommending I rather choose a z790 mboard and a bigger cpu cooler because "otherwise the cpu will underperform a lot".
What?

I'm not planning on overclocking, this is a business machine

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A business machine with a 4060ti? :psyduck:

What is the intended use case here? "business" can be a lot of things.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

They're right about the cooler at least, a four pipe single tower like the SE-214-XT will throttle the 14700KF if you're actually using it for anything - the Peerless Assassin is a popular recommendation but any dual tower cooler your supplier has should fit the bill

The board is fine, it's not like the old days where only the tippi-toppest boards could provide adequate power for an i7 and up

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Board is fine. Dual tower cooler recommended for 700 and 900 intel CPUs, unless you don't plan on using the CPU for anything heavy.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

TheDemon posted:

Board is fine. Dual tower cooler recommended for 700 and 900 intel CPUs, unless you don't plan on using the CPU for anything heavy.

And if you don't plan on using the CPU for anything heavy, then for pete's sake don't get a 14700KF :cheeky:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, we're gonna need to know the use case for this "business machine" because it certainly isn't specced out like one. And Doombat is right—the chosen cooler will hold back the 14700KF, and if you don't care about that then why are you getting one?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Upgrade value question. I have:

11700k that will sit at 5ghz all cores happily
NH D15s
Gigabyte z590 Aorus Pro Ax
32gb DDR4 3600 from Crucial I think
Gigabyte 3080 aio water cooled.
RMx 750w power supply

I low key dislike the motherboard. I have it because it "came" with the video card in covid times. So far I'm avoiding the built in ethernet and audio. I was looking at possible upgrade combos because I live near a microcenter! They have:

13700k bundle for $550
7800X3d bundle for $470
7900X bundle for $570.

CPU comparisons put the 7800X3d a bit ahead, the 13700k a bit more, and the 7900X at a bit more than double the performance of my current setup. Cost aside, is it dumb to upgrade? Anything worth waiting 6-12 months for at non bundle prices that's supposed to be amazingly better than the bundles?

I'd probably shunt the 11700 into the plex server at some point to replace the 9100 setup there for better decoding, but realistically it just hosts all the james bond films for my wife and not much else.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, we're gonna need to know the use case for this "business machine" because it certainly isn't specced out like one. And Doombat is right—the chosen cooler will hold back the 14700KF, and if you don't care about that then why are you getting one?

Maybe I had too much to drink when I chose the term "business machine", but generally it'll be used for photoshop, some after effects work and maybe some gpu rendering. I wasn't aware that times have changed so much that if you don't have an oversized cooling system your performance will be trash

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

KinkyJohn posted:

I wasn't aware that times have changed so much that if you don't have an oversized cooling system your performance will be trash

Modern CPUs will basically draw as much power as they can until something (a sensor, a power profile, the laws of thermodynamics) tells them to stop. A 14700KF is capable of pulling almost 300w under max load, and all that heat has to go somewhere.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

KinkyJohn posted:

I wasn't aware that times have changed so much that if you don't have an oversized cooling system your performance will be trash

Not universally true, but the 14700 and 14900 non-T models can draw a truly absurd amount of power.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
In the mid point of installing my new MB. Just had it mounted and need to plug in everything, then install the cooler and graphics card. A few thoughts:

- the plastic cover on the AMD slot gives a satisfying pop.

- low key hating that the Gigabyte MB only includes a QuickStart guide and makes you go to their website for the manual.

- I am between either a pea dot, and X, or a smiley face for applying my thermal paste

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

grack posted:

Not universally true, but the 14700 and 14900 non-T models can draw a truly absurd amount of power.

Dell sells the 14700 non-T in a micro form factor, under 1L case: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/new-optiplex-micro-form-factor/spd/optiplex-7020-plus-micro/s009do7020mffpus_vp

This whole PC is about the same size as a single tower air cooler. I'm sure they also sell the 14900 in that case because they sold the 13900, but I just clicked the first thing I saw on their site.

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Mar 23, 2024

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

- I am between either a pea dot, and X, or a smiley face for applying my thermal paste

A cross to ward off any evil.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Dell sells the 14700 non-T in a micro form factor, under 1L case: https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/new-optiplex-micro-form-factor/spd/optiplex-7020-plus-micro/s009do7020mffpus_vp

This whole PC is about the same size as a single tower air cooler.

It also comes with a 180w power supply, which isn't powerful enough to sustain max turbo on the CPU even if it was only powering the CPU

Additionally the little blowers in those things are kind of awful and even with reduced power that'll probably hit tjmax in a couple minutes of sustained load

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Well poo poo, imma idiot and I screwed up the pins on the USB 3.2 header port with the case USB 3.0 cable while trying to wedge the fatass cable in against the nearby hard drive cage. I got a low profile cable but that did not work. That said I did see 3.0 to 2.0 converters, so I will fetch that; I only use the front usb ports for my headset so I hope that it will do for now.

EDIT: Note to self, next time I do this I attach cables, pins and other small stuff, then I screw down the mounting, rather than the other way around.

EDIT2: Up and running, and despite everything I did not blow up my computer :hellyeah:

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Mar 24, 2024

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Got everything for my pc except the processor. I keep seeing myself snap something in half or zap it with static or something. Anything I should be aware of before I start putting this thing together?

Also my wife surprised me and got herself a somewhat equivalent laptop, so we can play the same games for the first time. Pretty cool.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Jeremor posted:

Got everything for my pc except the processor. I keep seeing myself snap something in half or zap it with static or something. Anything I should be aware of before I start putting this thing together?

Also my wife surprised me and got herself a somewhat equivalent laptop, so we can play the same games for the first time. Pretty cool.
Touch a radiator or your old, plugged in, PC every now and then for the static. It takes a lot of static to do any damage so you're probably fine. As for snapping things in half, most things click into place quite snugly so there's always that panicked moment when it chunks into the slot. Be firm but careful and everything will be fine.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Posting it one more time in case I missed anything but I think I'm ready to start ordering parts!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dt84kJ

I'm planning to pick up the CPU/mobo/RAM combo plus the GPU from Micro Center early next Saturday (since they might be closed on Easter Sunday). I'll order the rest online and give it time to get here. That'll also give me time to clean my office and prep the space for the new bundle of joy.

:feelsgood:

e: oh man I'm gonna get a bundle of cute li'l Micro Center branded USB flash drives when I go there, I've been desperately needing a bunch of blank flash drives for boots and rescues :swoon:

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Mar 24, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Twerk from Home posted:

This whole PC is about the same size as a single tower air cooler. I'm sure they also sell the 14900 in that case because they sold the 13900, but I just clicked the first thing I saw on their site.

The 14700 can draw 200w+ at full turbo, and that PC only comes with a 180w PSU for the entire system. It will throttle the poo poo out of that processor, making getting a 14700 in that system completely pointless.

grack fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 24, 2024

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Has anyone here installed/used one of the new Arctic Freezer III AIOs? Just curious since I've seen reports that the pump motor is notably loud as it gets close to 100% speed, and much loader than the prior LF II AIO pumps.

Box wine
Apr 6, 2005

ah crap
I have not but would really have a reason to run one at 100%? I'd look more at the noise levels in the 50-80% range if it's only for occasional heavy use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

DizzyBum posted:

Posting it one more time in case I missed anything but I think I'm ready to start ordering parts!

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dt84kJ

I'm planning to pick up the CPU/mobo/RAM combo plus the GPU from Micro Center early next Saturday (since they might be closed on Easter Sunday). I'll order the rest online and give it time to get here. That'll also give me time to clean my office and prep the space for the new bundle of joy.

:feelsgood:

e: oh man I'm gonna get a bundle of cute li'l Micro Center branded USB flash drives when I go there, I've been desperately needing a bunch of blank flash drives for boots and rescues :swoon:

Everything here looks solid in case you needed reassurance :thumbsup: