Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hattersmad
Feb 21, 2015

In this style, 10/6
I have an Arctic Liquid Freezer 3 240 with a 7800X3D. At idle it’s at 20-30%, and goes up to 50-60% when gaming. That’s mostly because I set a pretty aggressive fan curve for it. It’s super quiet all the time, gaming or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

DoombatINC posted:

Everything here looks solid in case you needed reassurance :thumbsup:

Good, 'cause I already started ordering parts yesterday! :getin:

I figured if anything was out of place someone would have said something already, so thanks again for all the help everyone! I'll remember to do the traditional picture of a bunch of boxes before I put the thing together.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

grack posted:

The 14700 can draw 200w+ at full turbo, and that PC only comes with a 180w PSU for the entire system. It will throttle the poo poo out of that processor, making getting a 14700 in that system completely pointless.

Isn't the question not "Is this cheap tiny Dell using the Core i7 to its fullest", but instead "Is a 14700 significantly faster than 14600 in the same chassis?" I'd expect a 14700 to be a huge upgrade over a 14600 at any sane wattage.

Intel's pricing has gone wonky and now the -K processors cost more money than non-K, in a sane world I'd advocate for non-K and just turning down the PL2.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
For those in the Charlotte, NC area, Micro Center finally announced their Grand Opening date: May 10th. (There's also an "Early Access" date of May 8th, though I have no clear idea of what that means other than I guess if you show up May 8th there will still be someone there?)

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am glad it does, but I am kind of surprised that Microcenter still exists after the pandemic, where Fry’s Electronics is gone. To be fair I thought I heard that the latter already had Problems before the pandemic gave it the knockout punch.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
the constant uncalibrating and unsensoring of fans that FanControl has done since the last update is pretty irritating what the gently caress

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Unlucky7 posted:

I am glad it does, but I am kind of surprised that Microcenter still exists after the pandemic, where Fry’s Electronics is gone. To be fair I thought I heard that the latter already had Problems before the pandemic gave it the knockout punch.

Fry's had been in Trouble for a while prior to the pandemic, yes. I was there in 2018 or '19 pre-pandemic and they were already having trouble keeping shelves stocked. The pandemic simply finished them off with a swiftness.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

Fry's had been in Trouble for a while prior to the pandemic, yes. I was there in 2018 or '19 pre-pandemic and they were already having trouble keeping shelves stocked. The pandemic simply finished them off with a swiftness.

The kids are going to accuse me of making poo poo up when I’m a grandpa.

Yes kids there really was a store where you could buy everything from graphics cards to resistors to adult dvds. It had vast sea of appliances you don’t need, phone accessories that nobody even asked for but you don’t care because there’s a massive fish tank right in the middle of that bitch.

Complete with a snack shop and bad rear end theming you would normally expect to find in Disneyland.

drat… I miss it

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 27, 2024

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

We used to have a Fry’s around here and judging by vibes alone it was obvious that they were on the ropes before Covid. We recently got a Microcenter and it feels a lot healthier. Smaller, more focused.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

Based on my very limited experience Micro Center's trick is having hot new video cards in stock (in store only) while every website you've ever heard of is sold out.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Now I can drive to a microcenter, and I am looking to upgrade my old 2015 system. I mostly play Dota2 and Civ6 right now so I don't need something mega big or expensive. I do like the idea of a bit more case style and I actually don't care for glass side panels and poo poo. I prefer smaller looking stuff that doesn't spray a bunch of RGB light everywhere and is preferably quiet. I was originally drawn to maybe trying to get this as a Phanteks Evolv shift 2 build but I don't think they are even really making that case anymore. So instead:

Here is an iteration of a build going with a fractal north mid atx tower:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($357.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1198.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-26 19:59 EDT-0400

Taking any comments and suggestions

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Your memory is on your motherboard's list of supported RAM. You have my blessing.

Though you've got a top shelf gaming processor paired with a relatively modest video card. Maybe bump er up to some flavor of 4070?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Now I can drive to a microcenter, and I am looking to upgrade my old 2015 system. I mostly play Dota2 and Civ6 right now so I don't need something mega big or expensive. I do like the idea of a bit more case style and I actually don't care for glass side panels and poo poo. I prefer smaller looking stuff that doesn't spray a bunch of RGB light everywhere and is preferably quiet. I was originally drawn to maybe trying to get this as a Phanteks Evolv shift 2 build but I don't think they are even really making that case anymore. So instead:

Here is an iteration of a build going with a fractal north mid atx tower:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($149.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-5600 CL36 Memory ($117.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card ($299.99 @ Best Buy)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1198.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-26 19:59 EDT-0400

Bump the RAM up to DDR5-6000 CL30, as mentioned above the GPU is a bit underpowered for the 7800X3D and you’ll end up upgrading it sooner than the rest of the system because of that. Some folks have said the RMe PSUs have loud fans, so if that’s an issue for you maybe look at an RMx or a Thermaltake GF3. Otherwise :thumbsup:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

PCPartPicker Part List

Thirding that that's kind of a weenie GPU for the mighty 7800X3D. If you don't care about raytracing, take a look at the 6X00 range of current Radeon GPUs; you can get a 6700XT for a bit over $300, and a 6800 for under $400, and they still provide a lot of firepower for what you pay, so long as you stick to traditional raster-based lighting.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Is there any difference between using a single 4 TB SSD vs a 2 x 2 TB setup

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yes, the single 4TB is probably more expensive. 2x2TB you have to deal with having two drives, which might be zero effort or some. Also, double the chance of a storage failure. I usually buy what I need at a kind of high price, then a couple years later get a newer, cheaper bigger faster drive and make the older one a secondary.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Wondering if this is a good combo for an 7800X3D/RTX4080 based gaming system:

Corsair Vengeance DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR5-6000, CL30-36-36-76, on-die ECC (CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30)
ASUS TUF Gaming B650-Plus WIFI

Picked the RAM cause of it's low 30/36 timings and the MB because it has an integrated I/O plate, which I like for the convenience and aesthetics, and it supports the "on-die ECC" feature that the RAM has, tho I'm not sure what that is exactly.

I have another ASUS board right now that I felt is fine, tho the armory crate process that's always running I could do without.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"On-die ECC" is a basic level of error correction that all DDR5 supports, though it is not as useful as actual ECC (which reports errors to your OS when they happen and may be more reliable). ECC is generally meant for workstations or servers, not regular home PCs, but every DDR5-module comes with on-die ECC as part of the spec. And I think every motherboard supports it too?

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Branch Nvidian posted:

Bump the RAM up to DDR5-6000 CL30, as mentioned above the GPU is a bit underpowered for the 7800X3D and you’ll end up upgrading it sooner than the rest of the system because of that. Some folks have said the RMe PSUs have loud fans, so if that’s an issue for you maybe look at an RMx or a Thermaltake GF3. Otherwise :thumbsup:

Great suggestions everyone, round two:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1200.85
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-27 11:48 EDT-0400

So the GPU is the last thing to really ask about. I like the $300 price point but could go to as much as $500. I don't think i care about ray tracing performance to be honest. What are the recs for a $300-$500 price point here? The 6X00 range of current Radeon GPUs?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($104.99 @ Amazon)

So the GPU is the last thing to really ask about. I like the $300 price point but could go to as much as $500. I don't think i care about ray tracing performance to be honest. What are the recs for a $300-$500 price point here? The 6X00 range of current Radeon GPUs?

A <$500 7800 XT will outperform the $600 4070 Super in rasterized performance and Best Buy has had open-box models for as low as $370. Otherwise the $400 7700 XT might be the move, and you can find one for closer to $350 on sale.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

PCPartPicker Part List

Why use a Micro board in a mid tower?
That’s like a small dick in a large condom.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
well it's cheaper, for one thing

more room to maneuver, for another, at least around the board itself

more airflow pursuant to point two

also OP remarked on case preference in his first list

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 27, 2024

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

JunkDeluxe posted:

Why use a Micro board in a mid tower?
That’s like a small dick in a large condom.

An ATX board with the same number of m.2 slots, wifi 6e, and 2.5Gb LAN is $40 more.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008
Might be a non-issue, but won’t the board require more cooling in itself. Putting in the same amount of components, but on a smaller footprint.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

JunkDeluxe posted:

Might be a non-issue

Correct

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Whats a good option for a motherboard that supports bifurcation so that I can run a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B29JYL84

I need to wipe a whole bunch of M.2 NVME's, and every PC I currently have both does not support bifurcation, and only has one or two M.2 slots. I figure two or three of those 4x boards, and I should be able to get through it quickly.

AMD/Intel doesnt matter, and this does not need to be built with gaming in mind, or with more than 8/16GB of RAM in mind, since the wiping software is pretty light on the requirements side.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

JunkDeluxe posted:

Might be a non-issue, but won’t the board require more cooling in itself. Putting in the same amount of components, but on a smaller footprint.

No. The only really hot running part of a board is the power delivery for the CPU, and those really don't change significantly between different board sizes.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Whats a good option for a motherboard that supports bifurcation so that I can run a couple of these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B29JYL84

I need to wipe a whole bunch of M.2 NVME's, and every PC I currently have both does not support bifurcation, and only has one or two M.2 slots. I figure two or three of those 4x boards, and I should be able to get through it quickly.

AMD/Intel doesnt matter, and this does not need to be built with gaming in mind, or with more than 8/16GB of RAM in mind, since the wiping software is pretty light on the requirements side.

I had sometime ago an MSI x299 motherboard (LGA 2066) that supported bifurcation. However, instead of going out to buy a CPU+MB+RAM for this, wouldn't an NVME controller be better (and potentially cheaper)? Something like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Highpoint-SSD7105-Bootable-4-Port-Controller/dp/B0B25VPFMK/?

You would still need PCIe lanes though, so you would need to be on a platform that has enough of them to go around.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

There's USB NVMe adapters, too, although they may not be as quick.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

For those in the Charlotte, NC area, Micro Center finally announced their Grand Opening date: May 10th. (There's also an "Early Access" date of May 8th, though I have no clear idea of what that means other than I guess if you show up May 8th there will still be someone there?)

Why couldn't it open in Raleigh instead? I want to check it out but not if it means putting up with 74.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there any difference between using a single 4 TB SSD vs a 2 x 2 TB setup

Big advantage of getting the 4tb when you fill it up and buy another 4 TB drive you get 4tb of space and not 2. This assumes 2 2 tb drives is about the same price as a single 4tb.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Baulders Gate 3 has finally brought my 12+ year old gaming PC to its knees so I'm looking to build a PC for the first time in over a decade. It looks like things are even more streamlined then they were and I think I have a workable setup after just a few hours of reading.

Do you live near Microcenter? Yes. Ill probably buy 90+% of this from them, my cart is showing $150 less than the mostly Amazon prices below.
What are you using the system for? Gaming. Mostly 4X/Builder/Grand Strategy. BG3 and City Skylines 2 have particularly had me feeling the age of my current PC.
What's your budget? Was shooting for ~2.5k, including a monitor.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 4k res. Picked a 160 hz monitor, largly on a whim. Not sure how much this would matter, Ive been using the same 60 hz monitor for a decade and my work computer is 30 hz and I deal with it. I'm happy to turn graphics to low-medium for better performance.

I started largely from this Microcenter bundle and worked around it:
https://www.microcenter.com/product...er_Build_Bundle
For the case I was mostly constrained by what Microcenter had that had 3 3.5" bays, which I need for hoarding reasons.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($155.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Monitor: AOC U27G3X 27.0" 3840 x 2160 160 Hz Monitor ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2374.92

Comments appreciated.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Mar 28, 2024

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Rexxed posted:

There's USB NVMe adapters, too, although they may not be as quick.

Does the speed matter for erasing ssds? I thought you can just do the secure erase that is pretty much instant

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

fletcher posted:

Does the speed matter for erasing ssds? I thought you can just do the secure erase that is pretty much instant

I don't know, I'd assume not, but maybe secure erase has issues with a USB adapter.

I own this and it's good but it's an enclosure.
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-Type-C-Tool-Free-Enclosure-EC-SNVE/dp/B08RVC6F9Y/

You could probably just pop drives in and out of these if they handle passing the command correctly. Get a USB hub and four of them!
https://www.amazon.com/FREEGENE-Enclosure-SATA-Based-Compatible-Thunderbolt/dp/B084ZKLQR8/

There are cheaper ones on amazon, too, that's just the first one that demonstrated what I was thinking of as a desktop USB dock for NVMe drives.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

fletcher posted:

You can't secure erase properly with the USB adapter. I have a Sabrent USB C adapter.
At least with a Samsung drive and the Samsung secure erase software it will recognize the drive, but when you run hit erase it will immediately return that it was successful.
Normally when you erase a drive it takes a few seconds.

Booting back into the OS the drive still has all the data on it.

This is why I put together a machine from some old parts I had just to use for erasing/updating drives.

The only thing I had to buy was a CPU for $14.
It's just a 7100t, but it works nicely.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

...and my work computer is 30 hz and I deal with it.

I'm sorry, what? How does this happen?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Horace Kinch posted:

Why couldn't it open in Raleigh instead? I want to check it out but not if it means putting up with 74.

Yeah I was thinking it would make (arguably) more sense in the broader RTP area, but I'm assuming Charlotte has better rent prices or something. (Which would not be a difficult bar to clear.) Since it's also where the only IKEA in the area is, I suppose it can become a family trip.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

wash bucket posted:

I'm sorry, what? How does this happen?

Due to security requirements my work laptop can't be in the room where my desk is. So we have a room outside with KVMs and another set at my desk for that computer. I got an ultrawide monitor because our KVMs only support a single monitor. Due to I guess bandwith the display only comes through when set to 30 hz in windows.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That’s a hostile work environment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I've got two fried PSU-to-wall outlet cables in a week. One cable dying is whatever, two is sus as hell.

The first fried cable was connected to a surge protector strip, I did notice the light was dimmer than it should be so I replaced it.

However, the second cable was directly connected to the same wall outlet and I have confirmed the computer won't power on even if it's using a different outlet.

The computer boots fine with a third new-from-the-cable-box cable but I'm not sure I should be turning it on? Does anyone have an intuition if it's the wall outlet or my PSU frying things or how to check? Im not sure how a wall cable even gets fried.

Xun fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Mar 28, 2024