Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh I forgot to ask, for the 7800X3D what’s the thread recommended mobo? I used to trust ASUS and their ROG stuff, and I used to strongly distrust MSi but obviously things have changed since Google is telling me the MSi Mag B650 Tomahawk is the best, and it’s under $200 compared to the $480 Intel ASUS board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Motherboard selection is now very much a question of what features and form factor you want. Motherboards are mostly created equal at baseline (though some of the "budget" Micro ATX boards cut costs by including inadequate power delivery for the heftiest chips, as documented here, though pretty much any $100+ board should be just fine for a 7800X3D), so the real question becomes how many m.2 slots do you want for modern solid state drives, what kind of back panel I/O do you want, what kind of onboard sound do you want, how many expansion card slots, what's the planned form factor of your case, etc. etc.

So: what are you looking for in a mobo?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Oh I forgot to ask, for the 7800X3D what’s the thread recommended mobo? I used to trust ASUS and their ROG stuff, and I used to strongly distrust MSi but obviously things have changed since Google is telling me the MSi Mag B650 Tomahawk is the best, and it’s under $200 compared to the $480 Intel ASUS board

I'm old enough that I've been burned by just about every major motherboard manufacturer at this point. I gave Asus another shot with my latest build and it had some gremlins but nothing catastrophic.

Edit: Oh wait, you were asking about Linux earlier so I guess I should elaborate. I'm using a 7800X3D with this ASUS motherboard. I'm dual booting pop OS Linux and Windows 10 on two separate drives because I'm lazy. Boot times were slow for both at first but enabling "memory context restore" in the motherboard settings fixed that. It uses the last known good memory configuration or some such. That was fine for a while until one day the boot times got bad again but only for the Linux drive. There was some sort of USB device that was failing to initialize and making the whole boot process hang for literal minutes. Fast forwarding to the end: the fix was to unplug the PC from power for about 10 seconds. Problem solved. I have no idea why that worked. All my motherboard settings in uefi were still there so it didn't reset to factory settings. I dunno what to make of it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 14, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
What country are you in? United States (Los Angeles)
Do you live near Microcenter? There is one an hour away, so yeah.
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Open ended. (Hoping to keep it under $2k per PC)

I'm looking to put together not one, but two PCs (one for me, one for my wife).

I built our current computers back in 2019, having spent roughly $700 per PC. I feel like, when I put these together originally, they were lower mid-gradeish. Probably a 4 out of 10 or so in power.

Our current PCs have the following specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 16.0 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

Needless to say, in 2024 these computers are showing their age. We were on a bit of a budget back when we originally built them, so we did what we could and they've lasted well enough. Now that we've reached a better financial place, we're looking to build newer PCs that are a bit more powerful. Where our current PCs were 4 out of 10 when we built them, I'm looking to build new computers that are like a 7-8 out of 10.

Any rough idea how much we'd be likely to spend for a PC build like that? We don't need monitors, keyboards/mice, or speakers. Basically, the case and everything inside it. I don't plan on cannibalizing anything from our current PCs as I'm looking to just start fresh. It's also something where I'm not planning on buying these tomorrow, so to speak, but just trying to get a number in my head of money to set aside to accomplish this.

In general, I'm looking for this to be NVidia-based instead of AMD-based, but as soon as I start looking at parts, my eyes begin to glaze over.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Here's some fresh ones to definitely avoid. (oh it's been linked already, bah whatever)
Also, the video is also worth a watch to get your head round what is what. Most of the boards on that particular video are actually fine, once you work out what combo of M.2/USB/PCIE you want. The only ones they said to avoid on that was the ASUS "Prime" ones with lovely VRMs, something I personally had issues with.

For what it is worth, I coincidentally ended up with the Gigabyte Aorus Elite that comes out well in both of these videos, I've been very happy with it, but tbh, as long as you avoid the stinkers, and get the combo of features you desires, you should be good to go.
Also, a lot comes down to value and boards seem to vary a lot across different areas, as well as yo-yo inn price. The one I got went from £270 rrp to £200 when I got it, then £170 for a few days, and for some reason £300 (lmao) for a while. No rhyme nor reason, and just makes the whole thing even more bloody complicated

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naX-DnKekCM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtHOOyWYiic

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Apr 15, 2024

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I've had excellent luck with the MSI EDGE WIFI but it's the Z790 Intel variant. Has a lot of nice features, specifically troubleshooting diagnosis and dedicated BIOS update. Tomahawks have had some odd issues here & there but I'd absolutely stay away from the Prime boards.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

What country are you in? United States (Los Angeles)
Do you live near Microcenter? There is one an hour away, so yeah.
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? Open ended. (Hoping to keep it under $2k per PC)

I'm looking to put together not one, but two PCs (one for me, one for my wife).

I built our current computers back in 2019, having spent roughly $700 per PC. I feel like, when I put these together originally, they were lower mid-gradeish. Probably a 4 out of 10 or so in power.

Our current PCs have the following specs:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 Six-Core Processor, 3400 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
RAM: 16.0 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon RX 580 Series

Needless to say, in 2024 these computers are showing their age. We were on a bit of a budget back when we originally built them, so we did what we could and they've lasted well enough. Now that we've reached a better financial place, we're looking to build newer PCs that are a bit more powerful. Where our current PCs were 4 out of 10 when we built them, I'm looking to build new computers that are like a 7-8 out of 10.

Any rough idea how much we'd be likely to spend for a PC build like that? We don't need monitors, keyboards/mice, or speakers. Basically, the case and everything inside it. I don't plan on cannibalizing anything from our current PCs as I'm looking to just start fresh. It's also something where I'm not planning on buying these tomorrow, so to speak, but just trying to get a number in my head of money to set aside to accomplish this.

In general, I'm looking for this to be NVidia-based instead of AMD-based, but as soon as I start looking at parts, my eyes begin to glaze over.

I’m assuming you want to keep it under $2k all-in, not $2k per system? I can’t read I guess, just saw where you said $2k per.

I’ll do some looking around and see what options there are for min/maxing value, but I did see this on Micro Center’s site and I don’t think it’s a bad deal for $800
https://www.microcenter.com/product/676226/powerspec-g517-gaming-pc

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Okay, here we go,

Get this CPU/RAM/Mobo bundle from Micro Center for $499.99, it saves around $185 per system. https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle
You have enough budget overhead to fit in a 4080 Super, which is actually going to put you more at an 8-9/10 performance wise. You can save a little cash by dropping to the Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti SUPER.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($166.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1930.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-14 21:19 EDT-0400

unl33t
Feb 21, 2004

It's been years since I've had to purchase a new computer, so I'm well out of the loop. I'm hoping to get some suggestions on either components or a prebuilt system I could pick up from MicroCenter. I'm comfortable enough with doing the actual assembly (just not choosing parts).
  • What country are you in? USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter? Very close, it's about a five minute detour to/from work, I would definitely prefer to get things from there.
  • What are you using the system for? The primary use is to work from home (where I just remote into my work computer, so I think bandwidth is the only concern?), and I want to organize years of accumulated files, so large amounts of storage and fast transfer speeds will be a plus. I'll also definitely need an optical drive to (hopefully) retrieve files from DVDs/BluRays. I would also like to have Bluetooth available for headsets and other accessories.
  • What's your budget? I would like to keep it under $1K for the computer and two monitors (and possibly a dual monitor stand if that would help with the footprint, my desktop isn't terribly large. I do have mouse and keyboard.
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I don't foresee doing any gaming on the computer.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? As noted above, I'll be remoting in to my work computer so I don't think it matters, but it will be primarily Ignite and GMC Inspire.

Please let me know if you need any further information, and thanks for any suggestions!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Since 1k is your budget including monitors you are likely looking at this bundle here as your starting point

https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

Intel Core i5-12600KF, MSI Z790-P Pro WiFi DDR4, G.Skill Ripjaws V 16GB DDR4-3200 Kit, Computer Build Bundle - $249

Edit or you could just do this and be fine

MarcusSA fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Looking for some advice. I have a decent rig currently which was "good in 2017": I'm looking to upgrade it a bit, to something that is a more modern build. I would like to build small form factor ideally - I just like the look of the cases more. I have an initial build, but I would like feedback on it.

I am in the UK (I don't think we have Microcenters here). I'll be using the system for general web + office use, some gaming - I have a PS5 and I'm perfectly happy playing most games on that, but in particular I would like to play FFXIV (which is the main game I actually still play on PC) at the highest graphics setting. I do a bit of streaming from my PC but this isn't really a focus. Professionally I do scientific programming work for which high memory and a CPU with a little bit of a kick are useful - I have no current professional use for GPU stuff.

Budget-wise I think I'm at around £999, though I could stretch to £1200 for the right reasons (and I'm not including the OS in this - I'll probably try and transfer Windows over and stick Linux on my old machine, I'm happy doing that). I have a monitor setup already, though at some point I would like to experience a 4K monitor + so it would be good to be able to run that, though it doesn't need to be at buttery-smooth framerates. My current monitor is a ASUS VP278H - 1920x1080, 75Hz refresh rate. In general I've been able to run most games for the last few years on my current rig with no trouble and I'd like that to continue (my main bottleneck in the current PC is a dogshit hybrid main drive, but I am due an update anyway) - but in general I prefer "this PC runs responsively and speedily" to "this PC can produce the best graphics in the universe". I don't like my computers to mess me around.

Professionally I will generally just use VS Code or something, and then I'm doing a lot of WSL work. I'm normally running theorem provers, SMT solvers, and proof assistants like Lean for my work: asking around, memory is the real kicker here (though good swap capacity is also an important part of that). This project (https://github.com/leanprover-community/mathlib4) is a good example of the kind of thing I need to be able to work with smoothly.

Here's the PartPicker BB code:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-12600KF 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor (£159.99 @ AWD-IT)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX AG400 ARGB 75.89 CFM CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ AWD-IT)
Motherboard: Gigabyte H610I Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard (£125.84 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£116.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£129.99 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4060 8 GB Video Card (£279.99 @ AWD-IT)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200P Mini ITX Desktop Case (£87.05 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: be quiet! SFX Power 3 450 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified SFX Power Supply (£64.35 @ NeoComputers)
Total: £994.19
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 12:10 BST+0100

I really just want to be told where I'm making compromises that will hurt, or where I'm overpaying for things I just won't see the benefit of - but any suggestions are welcome.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lines posted:

I really just want to be told where I'm making compromises that will hurt, or where I'm overpaying for things I just won't see the benefit of - but any suggestions are welcome.

I definitely wouldn't cheap out so hard on the PSU. You're under the required wattage sure but if you're planning on keeping this case and form factor for a while, any future upgrades might easily blow through 450W. Also when you're building in an SFF case you need all the help you can get, which absolutely means you want a modular PSU, preferably with nice sleeved cables that are easy to bend and wangle into position. This is where you don't really have a choice but to spend the SFF tax I'm afraid, I'd want at least a 600W semi or full modular gold rated PSU which will probably run you over £100.

Otherwise you can easily save twenty quid with zero noticeable performance hit by getting the SN770 for your storage instead.

Lastly I don't know that I'd want to cheap out so hard on the board, either. H610 is the budget bare bones chipset and I'd say it would only make sense to pair with a budget CPU. Unfortunately having a quick look it seems there's no B660 ITX options available anymore so the next choice would be a B760 like the Asus Rog Strix. Again, it's a good chunk more expensive, but that's just the SFF tax at play. It'd get you a much more full featured board at least.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Butterfly Valley posted:

I definitely wouldn't cheap out so hard on the PSU. You're under the required wattage sure but if you're planning on keeping this case and form factor for a while, any future upgrades might easily blow through 450W. Also when you're building in an SFF case you need all the help you can get, which absolutely means you want a modular PSU, preferably with nice sleeved cables that are easy to bend and wangle into position. This is where you don't really have a choice but to spend the SFF tax I'm afraid, I'd want at least a 600W semi or full modular gold rated PSU which will probably run you over £100.

Otherwise you can easily save twenty quid with zero noticeable performance hit by getting the SN770 for your storage instead.

Lastly I don't know that I'd want to cheap out so hard on the board, either. H610 is the budget bare bones chipset and I'd say it would only make sense to pair with a budget CPU. Unfortunately having a quick look it seems there's no B660 ITX options available anymore so the next choice would be a B760 like the Asus Rog Strix. Again, it's a good chunk more expensive, but that's just the SFF tax at play. It'd get you a much more full featured board at least.

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of practical advice that I was hoping for. What's a modular PSU when it's at home? (Also, what's the effective difference between Bronze and Gold?)

It seems this case is actually getting harder to find so I might look at something else in the same form factor. I like the aesthetics of the Fractal Ridge but it's spenny I think. I'm just aware that cooling is going to be really important in this kind of rig.

What kind of features is a better MB going to have? Extra slots for stuff, or better slots, or...? I'm vaguely aware that in *theory* one can have two graphics cards, and that can help with multi-monitor stuff, which I love (in an ideal world I would have like seven screens, but obviously this is a little comical in practice). But I don't know what else one does with more PCI slots, for instance - network and sound cards seem very speciality use?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

lines posted:

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of practical advice that I was hoping for. What's a modular PSU when it's at home? (Also, what's the effective difference between Bronze and Gold?)

The cables that run from the PSU to power all of your stuff can either be fixed, meaning that every possible cable is already attached and will be taking up space in the case, semi-modular where just a few of the essential ones are fixed, or totally modular where you only attach the cables that you need. In a bigger case this is less of an issue because you have plenty of room for extra cables, but in an NR200 and any other SFF case you want all the space that you can get and not have to worry about where you're going to stuff the extras. PSU ratings are just about how efficiently they convert AC power into DC for the PC to use. A gold PSU is at least 5% more efficient than bronze. It's not the most important thing but usually modular or semi-modular, higher rated PSUs will be at least gold anyway.

lines posted:

It seems this case is actually getting harder to find so I might look at something else in the same form factor. I like the aesthetics of the Fractal Ridge but it's spenny I think. I'm just aware that cooling is going to be really important in this kind of rig.

It's not too much more expensive, but the form factor means you'll have additional considerations and restrictions when it comes to the CPU cooler. Honestly you'd be better off checking in the SFF thread we have here - I've got an NR200P but I've not been keeping up with the latest developments. With the components you have, you will be able to cool them relatively easily but you'll have to make trade-offs with noise/heat depending on how small your case is. The NR200 is pretty roomy for SFF cases and you can generally run it as quiet as much larger builds, even with beefier components than you're speccing.

lines posted:

What kind of features is a better MB going to have? Extra slots for stuff, or better slots, or...? I'm vaguely aware that in *theory* one can have two graphics cards, and that can help with multi-monitor stuff, which I love (in an ideal world I would have like seven screens, but obviously this is a little comical in practice). But I don't know what else one does with more PCI slots, for instance - network and sound cards seem very speciality use?

ITX boards are size limited so they're all restricted to one PCIe slot, for the GPU, but the vast majority of people don't need more than that anyway, and you're also right that most people don't need more than the onboard networking and sound these days. Running dual GPUs is not a thing anymore and you'll be able to run multiple monitors no problem with a modern GPU. More importantly better motherboards have better cooling for the VRMs, more fully featured I/O, and an additional M.2 slot (or even more on some extremely expensive boards). Also support for overclocking is tied to the most expensive z690/z790 boards for intel but you're probably not worried about that.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 15, 2024

lines
Aug 18, 2013

Thanks. I'll go find the SFF thread. (Unless someone wants to try and convince me that actually a chunky case is what I want! But I just think for my needs anything I might try and fit in it is overkill, even if I'm not paying the SFF premium.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks again for steering me to the 7800x3d, folks! I was hesitant at first, but then I saw it’ll save me $400-$500 and yeah that’s an easy call at that point. Also the microcenter bundles are great, and it looks like they have a bunch of sales so that my PCPP shows $1300 but my microcenter cart shows $1174 :toot:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

lines posted:

Thanks. I'll go find the SFF thread. (Unless someone wants to try and convince me that actually a chunky case is what I want! But I just think for my needs anything I might try and fit in it is overkill, even if I'm not paying the SFF premium.
If you can fit what you want and don't mind the limits of SFF it's totally fine - there are also plenty of "big" SFF cases which let you fit almost anything you might want to put into a big tower. The biggest downside at that point is the slightly higher cost for the SFF-specific parts like ITX mainboards and SFX PSUs.

The SFF thread is here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
It's been five years since my last PC build, so it's time to get with the times again. Been doing some research and wanted to run this tentative PCPartPicker build by some experts before I pull the trigger on parts.

Primary focus will be 1440p gaming, as my monitors are coming over and they're both 1440p. The hard drives have already been purchased so they're taken care of.

A Microcenter is opening near me in a few weeks, which is why the CPU, motherboard, and memory are locked in. If the Intel bundle is a better fit for my needs, I'm glad to switch it up.

My primary concern is that the parametrics for the CPU Cooler, Video Card, and Power Supply are good. If any of the brands listed in any of those are to be avoided (if any power supplies aren't up to snuff, or if any of the 4080 Super brands are bad), please feel free to correct.

Not looking to overclock, so I've been led to believe that an AIO is unnecessary. Plus I don't care for liquid cooling, if I can help it.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: *Thermalright Peerless Assassin 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Lexar NS100 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: *PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ B&H)
Case: NZXT H9 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($219.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G XC 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB DUO 48.58 CFM 120 mm Fan ($32.99 @ B&H)
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB DUO 48.58 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: NZXT F120 RGB DUO 48.58 CFM 120 mm Fans 3-Pack ($114.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: Dell S2719DGF 27.0" 2560 x 1440 155 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: Gigabyte M27Q 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $2140.83
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 14:52 EDT-0400

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
That is a truly ridiculous amount of money to spend on case fans.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

grack posted:

how else can you make it hover

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

grack posted:

I was led to believe that NZXT cases didn't work well with non-NZXT fans. If that's not the case, I'm more than welcome to swap them out for cheaper alternatives.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’d imagine you don’t need 9 fans given that the one in your cart is a 3 pack

Edit: 7 fans?

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

CVagts posted:

I was led to believe that NZXT cases didn't work well with non-NZXT fans. If that's not the case, I'm more than welcome to swap them out for cheaper alternatives.

So you have your heart set on that case?

You can grab a Lian Li Lancool 216 for like $115, which has good/quiet fans included and plenty of airflow for your planned processor/cooler setup.

I have two and it's the best case I've ever owned.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

CVagts posted:

I don't know where you got this from but it's absolutely not true. Fans are fans, and hole spacing is standardized for 120mm or 140mm models.

If you're dead set on the H9, a couple packs of Arctic P12s will work just as well and be less than half the price.

Edit: The H9 Elite comes with three pre-installed fans. You don't need another 7(!).

grack fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 15, 2024

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I think it was more about the compatibility with RGB connectors/hubs and the software that controlled them. But if that's not the case, I'll definitely seek out some cheaper fans. Thanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

CVagts posted:

The only reason this would be is if NZXT uses a proprietary RGB connector that connects to a built-in fan-hub. I don't know what type of connector NZXT uses though. It's possible that you could bypass the included fan hub and connect your RGB fans directly to your motherboard, if they can be daisy chained and your motherboard has the appropriate connectors. I don't really know much about RGB fans, though I guess sticking with NZXT fans would be the path of least resistance.

Having so many fans is also humongous overkill. You could get by with the stock fan arrangement if you really wanted. If you want to add extra fans, then adding some intake along the bottom of the case is what I would do, but that would need no more than 2 - 3 extra fans. Filling out every single potential fan slot with fans would be very unnecessary unless you're specifically aiming to blind yourself with a light show.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
So if I'm going away from all this RGB nonsense, maybe switch to the H9 Flow (since that's cheaper and doesn't do RGB fans), and maybe buy a couple Arctic P12s or other cheap but effective fan to be bottom intakes (though even that doesn't seem necessary).

And even if I'm not going away from RGB, buying the extra fans doesn't sound necessary anyway, and there are better alternatives to the NZXT ones.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
30 dollar CPU cooler, 40 dollar case fans lol

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm pretty sure that if you want to go heavy RGB you should go full Corsair ecosystem. It is the best integrated and most seamless with products covering all your multicolored needs, and the hardware is pretty good across the various product families.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

LRADIKAL posted:

30 dollar CPU cooler, 40 dollar case fans lol

Help my family is dying

grack
Jan 10, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I'm pretty sure that if you want to go heavy RGB you should go full Corsair ecosystem.

I'm pretty sure that if you want to go heavy RGB you should call up your parents and let them know that they were right to be disappointed in you.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Eh, rgb is like the one thing you can go nuts customising without being a greybeard grognard. Let the people’s rooms glow pink

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Which NVidia video cards & which processors would y'all recommended for various price brackets?

When I open up PC Part Picker and see 800+ video cards, my eyes start rolling back in my head.

Let's say that I'm aiming for around $1500 (with a willingness to go up to around $2000) total for a PC. How much of that should I allocate to the video card? How much to the processor?

Any brands I should avoid?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

Which NVidia video cards & which processors would y'all recommended for various price brackets?

When I open up PC Part Picker and see 800+ video cards, my eyes start rolling back in my head.

Let's say that I'm aiming for around $1500 (with a willingness to go up to around $2000) total for a PC. How much of that should I allocate to the video card? How much to the processor?

Any brands I should avoid?

read back a couple of pages and see the recommendations in your price bracket and answers to your other questions. ignore the argument about windows keys. then read the op and come back with another post. this isn't trying to be snarky, it's just genuinely the quickest way for you to get helped.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Butterfly Valley posted:

read back a couple of pages and see the recommendations in your price bracket and answers to your other questions. ignore the argument about windows keys. then read the op and come back with another post. this isn't trying to be snarky, it's just genuinely the quickest way for you to get helped.

Appreciate it. And it doesn't come across as snarky. I tend to get a bit overwhelmed in megathreads as there are often five different conversations talking past each other. I'll do some more digging.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Appreciate it. And it doesn't come across as snarky. I tend to get a bit overwhelmed in megathreads as there are often five different conversations talking past each other. I'll do some more digging.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Okay, here we go,

Get this CPU/RAM/Mobo bundle from Micro Center for $499.99, it saves around $185 per system. https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle
You have enough budget overhead to fit in a 4080 Super, which is actually going to put you more at an 8-9/10 performance wise. You can save a little cash by dropping to the Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti SUPER.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($166.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1930.74
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-14 21:19 EDT-0400

This build in particular should keep you happy for like 5-8 years

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

This build in particular should keep you happy for like 5-8 years

Ooooh I don't know why but I completely missed that reply when scrolling. Thank you.

And thanks for putting that together, Branch Nvidian.

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD
So I haven't updated my PC in a decade apart from a few random pieces here and there, and I need to get with the times. Trying to not spend a ton on this so my wife doesn't kill me, but around $1200 or so is kinda my point. Put together this list and looking for opinions on it. The only thing I don't need to buy is the PSU, as that one I listed I already have, so I don't intend to buy a new one if possible.

PC will mostly be used for sitting in a room while I work on a laptop, but occasionally used for trying my best to play a modern game without too much fuss.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.50 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK400 ZERO DARK 66.47 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.99 @ B&H)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-H/M.2+ Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($102.97 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($172.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1414.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 21:41 EDT-0400

Anything here a glaring mistake or something I could do cheaper or smarter?

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SweetJahasus posted:

So I haven't updated my PC in a decade apart from a few random pieces here and there, and I need to get with the times. Trying to not spend a ton on this so my wife doesn't kill me, but around $1200 or so is kinda my point. Put together this list and looking for opinions on it. The only thing I don't need to buy is the PSU, as that one I listed I already have, so I don't intend to buy a new one if possible.

PC will mostly be used for sitting in a room while I work on a laptop, but occasionally used for trying my best to play a modern game without too much fuss.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.50 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($106.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Silicon Power UD90 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($102.97 @ B&H)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Mini Air MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($89.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($172.49 @ Amazon)
Total: $1414.89

If you have access to a Micro Center you can save about $30 and get a better processor & nicer motherboard from one of their bundles https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

Otherwise I think it looks fine generally, and hard to keep the same level of performance and trim any more money.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor ($399.99)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Total: $1216.91
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-15 22:27 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

SweetJahasus posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

I would for sure spend the extra 20$ on the B650M-HDV/M.2 model and I would trade the single tower cooler out for a dual tower Thermalright Peerless Assassin of some sort.