Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

LifeSunDeath posted:

Tell me the use cases, I've been waiting to hear the use cases all drat day.

this all feels like some audiophile thing, they're trying to remove all moving parts but they still have to use a power supply with a fan, so they low key don't talk about that.

any environment that's exceptionally dirty, like a warehouse with a diesel forklift or a factory with dust from their industrial process, have extremely serious issues with fans - they're going to get clogged pretty loving fast, so maintenance is a nightmare and/or leads to downtime. fanless cases also get dirty of course but it's drastically slower and as such there is a use case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I think pretty much everyone else covered it.

And yes fabless PSUs and PSUs that only the fan under extreme load are a thing.

Again, this is a very niche product and they shouldn’t be marketing to consumers. The only consumer level thing I can think of that this would help with is something like a HTPC, but those are dead now.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Rexxed posted:

I usually see silent pcs for things like recording studios. Even an in home one is going to have computers involved these days and big air coolers with no fans on a 65 watt CPU can usually be run fanless or with just one 200mm system fan. Back in the day there were some power supply shrouds to that would attach to the outside back of the PSU and have baffles to cut down the fan noise while letting air through.

Not sure about the GPU but there's a lot of GPU hand off for parallel tasks these days. Also, maybe someone will run it in mineral oil for a funny video.

I've been pretty happy with computer noise levels since everyone went to 120mm fans or bigger. It's frustrating that there are so many 40mm fans on 3d printers.

ok fair enough

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Welp, took a gamble on some cheap Corsair Vengeance RGB RAM I found on Ebay to finish out my build, and thank god I tested it because I was totally worried about it not fitting:

Sits perfectly, now I'm done messing with this thing forever.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nothus posted:

also lol at telling people that your CPU thermally throttling under load conditions is fine and normal

I think every single Mac laptop does this.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You say you’re done messing with the build, but how is the cable management :sickos:

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Chill la Chill posted:

You say you’re done messing with the build, but how is the cable management :sickos:

Absolutely terrible and crammed into the hole

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So hypothetically, if you had one of the 3080 AIBs with a built in water block, is it worth building a custom loop just for the GPU? I don’t think I’ve seen such setups where only the GPU is in a custom loop - seems like with the fixed cost of everything else, you might as well get a block for the CPU as well. Do people actually make water loops just for the GPU or CPU?

change my name posted:

Absolutely terrible and crammed into the hole

:honk:

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

Yeah I used to love kitting out $10K desktops from Alienware just to see what could be done at the consumer level. Better than SimCity!

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Mu Zeta posted:

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

I have about a hundred saved builds on PCPartpicker, at least I'm just wasting time and not more money.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

something like a HTPC, but those are dead now.

I was just looking into those a little lately, interesting to hear they came and went. I myself still just use my desktop PC as my main media thing, hooked up to my TV with hdmi. But for alternatives I like the idea of a home theater PC, doesn't need to be tiny but that is a fun thought. Like a raspberry pi that has enough power to run Windows10 or something.

Some of my friends have plex servers, but for me I mainly just like having stuff right off my computer. Plus I do a lot of web browsing on my TV.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I loving love my Nvidia Shield Pro. It has filled the hole I thought could only be filled by an HTPC. No optical drive for Blurays, but even those are going out of style.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I've done media center pcs way back in the day, little media boxes, all that stuff.

And I don't get it. Nothings ever been better than a very long HDMI cable.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can say for me personally, it doesn't need to be small, but I like the idea of a good home theater PC as an alternative to buying a new gaming ready expensive rig. When really, all I want is smooth video playback and web browsing. Plus my TV is my main monitor lately anyway.

And android is cool and all, I've got the phone and tablet going there, I just need Windows to live on. I don't want it all in one android basket, plus it seems like Windows is always better for playing back the latest greatest huge new video files. If we drop a single frame from the 30gb Return of the Jedi mkv, that is a tragedy.

I want them to make the Sony WindowsBox for 500 dollars, I could put it next to my other stations and the Dreamcast.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Heavy Metal posted:

I want them to make the Sony WindowsBox for 500 dollars, I could put it next to my other stations and the Dreamcast.
Just build one. Mine was with a Node 605 case (looks like it's discontinued) but this looks pretty slick too:
https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/node/node-202/Black/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I forgot to mention, well I mentioned a page or two back, I'm not a builder. I'm a wayward computer sailor just looking for a port here. But it's interesting to hear about all that stuff. Plus my friends are in consideration for building me another PC sometime, but I might get a prebuild for various reasons. So I'm just going computer crazy after a few days of looking at all sorts of numbers and stats and deals and stuff online.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

VelociBacon posted:

I think every single Mac laptop does this.

Current ones not so much, I think the current Macbook Pro won’t even spin up its fans until it’s approaching the thermal limit and even then loses basically nothing. The current air does though since it doesn’t have a fan at all.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

MonkeyFit posted:

I loving love my Nvidia Shield Pro. It has filled the hole I thought could only be filled by an HTPC. No optical drive for Blurays, but even those are going out of style.

Can you use the desktop with those? When I have a bit of money I'm thinking of getting hold of one so I can play some Death Stranding on the big telly in the living room, but being able to use the desktop as well would be very useful too. Sometimes you wanna have multiple windows/browsers/whatever open at once, and neither the smart tv nor the roku really scratch that itch at the moment.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I'm going to be honest, I have not really tested that. A quick search shows it looks like it involves some work arounds. But I believe Windows should be able to cast to the shield, or even your smart TV. Though your input devices need to be plugged into the computer.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

I'm going to be honest, I have not really tested that. A quick search shows it looks like it involves some work arounds. But I believe Windows should be able to cast to the shield, or even your smart TV. Though your input devices need to be plugged into the computer.

Which kinda makes the whole thing nonviable anyway, since the whole point is that the pc is far away from the TV anyway :)

I guess my last question is how does the Shield work with gamepad input? Do you plug the gamepad into it when you're playing games from your pc? If so, I suppose in principle the Shield can send back KB+M input as easily as gamepad inputs...

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If using game stream for specific games, the shield can use inputs from USB or Bluetooth and will send them back to the PC. That includes USB wireless dongles. So you could use one of the new Xbox controllers that has Bluetooth built in, or a keyboard and mouse.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Isn’t the Shield basically a more powerful Steam Link that can run some games natively?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Basically. And it runs Android TV so it's got access to a lot of apps already.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

MonkeyFit posted:

If using game stream for specific games, the shield can use inputs from USB or Bluetooth and will send them back to the PC. That includes USB wireless dongles. So you could use one of the new Xbox controllers that has Bluetooth built in, or a keyboard and mouse.

Aight, that's cool! Cheers for the info bud

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If that Noctua passive cooler was $50-60, it would be awesome for office PCs with integrated graphics (assuming you're not all on macs anyways)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

I forgot to mention, well I mentioned a page or two back, I'm not a builder. I'm a wayward computer sailor just looking for a port here. But it's interesting to hear about all that stuff. Plus my friends are in consideration for building me another PC sometime, but I might get a prebuild for various reasons. So I'm just going computer crazy after a few days of looking at all sorts of numbers and stats and deals and stuff online.

Have you looked at intel NUCs?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Deez NUCs?

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer desk that is about 55"-60" in length and >25" in width? Most desks in this size are a few inches too small in width for my liking. I'm using a LG CX48 as my primary monitor so I need the extra width. I've narrowed my search down to this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086W41GX5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A32G6KYZG6O024&th=1), but I wanted to see if any other goons who have better suggestions. Size is more important to me than any fancy features.

Mods: My bad if this should be in a different megathread - I didn't see specific thread for computer/office desks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

mA posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for a computer desk that is about 55"-60" in length and >25" in width? Most desks in this size are a few inches too small in width for my liking. I'm using a LG CX48 as my primary monitor so I need the extra width. I've narrowed my search down to this one (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086W41GX5/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A32G6KYZG6O024&th=1), but I wanted to see if any other goons who have better suggestions. Size is more important to me than any fancy features.

Mods: My bad if this should be in a different megathread - I didn't see specific thread for computer/office desks.

I use an IKEA Gerton tabletop with 4 cheap legs and it's been fantastic for my desk. They have a ton of different sizes, tabletop and leg options. I tried looking it up to link you and I don't know if they still make it though but another would work just as well.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

mA posted:

There is a thread! I should add it to the OP.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2920891

That being said, countertop desks like above are popular.

You can also get a monitor arm to give yourself space on the desk.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That reminds me, Snoop Dogg is still doing good stuff! Bootsy Collins has a good new single featuring Snoop. I wonder what the Doggfather is doing tech wise. I'm sure he has some high end stuff.

I've been curious about those, it looks like a lot are discontinued, and ones that work well as a Windows PC might be on the pricier side etc. Cool idea though.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

That reminds me, Snoop Dogg is still doing good stuff! Bootsy Collins has a good new single featuring Snoop. I wonder what the Doggfather is doing tech wise. I'm sure he has some high end stuff.

https://youtu.be/cyG2Ys41pdE

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

:perfect:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

amazing.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Just to reiterate from a post I've made... JFC, in the previous thread back in 2019, how time flies... electronic components in Israel are ludicrously expensive, even by comparison with the US \ Canada. So I'm trying to figure what urgent upgrades I should purchase outside Israel (was hoping Germany in 2019, which didn't really work out - couldn't get the more affordable graphic cards etc on a whim, without preordering way in advance - so now optimistically assuming Ukraine has slightly more decent prices [East Europe and all that]).

Current setup:
i4590 3.3ghz, 4 cores.
16 gb installed memory
Arctic Freezer Xtreme Rev 2
Motherboard: Asus H97 Plus LGA 1150 ddr 1600 is what I was recommended back when I assembled this computer. Checking system information, all I get is "All series".
Memory: Kingston Hyperx Fury 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHZ PC3-12800
Graphic Card: GTX 960
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB SCSI
Windows 7
256 giga SSD as my system drive, filled to the brim that I literally don't have a way to install windows 10 if I wanted to.
Power supply: Antec 550W 80+ VP550P
Case: Sharkoon VG4.

The thread recommended I pick up a GTX 1660 TI as a replacement back in 2019 - is that still the default cost-conscious option? The steam thread recommended a Ryzen card?
I'm guessing a 2 terabyte SSD would be a decent compromise, no need to go out of my way for a 4 TB? Also, there are SATA and NVME SSD drives, apparently?

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 17, 2021

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Xander77 posted:

The thread recommended I pick up a GTX 1660 TI as a replacement back in 2019 - is that still the default cost-conscious option?
The cost-concious option is to hit some kind of raffle to hope you get a GPU for near MSRP. Basically any GPU you can get your hands on - ask to buy a 1650 or RX 580 from a friend or whatever. Or buy a CPU with integrated graphics to tide you over, like an Intel i5-11400 or an AMD Ryzen PRO 4650G off AliExpress.

You might as well keep your card for the time being.

Xander77 posted:

I'm guessing a 2 terabyte SSD would be a decent compromise, no need to go out of my way for a 4 TB? Also, there are SATA and NVME SSD drives, apparently?
What are you going to use it for? SATA SSD are slower, generally, and the cost difference might not be worth it these day.

e:
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
    If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 17, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

This is a weird question...have any of you had issues with M.2 drives having problems with certain games, or corrupting installs? It happened to me but it's probably and edge case since it was a compressed pirated game, but the same thing installed fine on my old system without M.2 drives. I also had issue with a legit game I bought but it's early access so I'm not surprised...same game ran fine on old system and just won't load on new one. Thankfully everything else I've installed has worked just fine.

I have this theory in my mind like M.2 works too fast and the programing isn't happy about it and errors out the process while trying to load it. I heard something similar happened when the consoles were moving to SSDs and they had to work out how to account for the timing of the data and it caused issues with some games.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Vir posted:

The cost-concious option is to hit some kind of raffle to hope you get a GPU for near MSRP. Basically any GPU you can get your hands on - ask to buy a 1650 or RX 580 from a friend or whatever. Or buy a CPU with integrated graphics to tide you over, like an Intel i5-11400 or an AMD Ryzen PRO 4650G off AliExpress.
Last time I asked, I was heavily recommended not to buy anything off AliExpress. Did it suddenly become more reliable over the last two years?

quote:

What are you going to use it for? SATA SSD are slower, generally, and the cost difference might not be worth it these day.

• What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
    If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
I do work on this computer, but it's basically all word and wordpress, nothing that meaningfully taxes its capabilities. The slowest program involved is outlook.

Ostensibly, this is a gaming PC, but I barely had time to play twenty games over the past year (and half of them were literally Diner Dash clones). I re-prioritized a slight down upgrade (i.e, finally installing windows 10 \ getting an SSD that would allow me to do so) upon being unable to play the Rome Total War remaster.

The most taxing games that I might play soon - Mankind Divided, rear end Creed Origins, Yakuza Kiwami. The highlights of 3 4 years ago. Don't particularly care about Ultra lux graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

LifeSunDeath posted:

This is a weird question...have any of you had issues with M.2 drives having problems with certain games, or corrupting installs? It happened to me but it's probably and edge case since it was a compressed pirated game, but the same thing installed fine on my old system without M.2 drives. I also had issue with a legit game I bought but it's early access so I'm not surprised...same game ran fine on old system and just won't load on new one. Thankfully everything else I've installed has worked just fine.

I have this theory in my mind like M.2 works too fast and the programing isn't happy about it and errors out the process while trying to load it. I heard something similar happened when the consoles were moving to SSDs and they had to work out how to account for the timing of the data and it caused issues with some games.

I initially had an issue when I replaced the SATA SSD cache drive in my NAS with an NVMe drive where it would corrupt once a week, turns out it was actually bad RAM causing the problem. Didn't Linus have a video not that long ago where he created a storage server where the drives were so fast that the CPU actually couldn't keep up with the timings?

Fake edit: found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWjOh0Ph8uM