Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ISawAPuddyTat
Jan 17, 2024
With this build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CfqFn6 and a budget of $1000, would the parts work together, or should I replace some components? I already have a monitor and want to focus on performance with games such as darktide and helldivers 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
What is the resolution of your monitor (that is, what is your target game resolution)? Is it 1080p (1920x1080)?

The Ryzen 3600 is almost five years old. It's very cheap right now, but you can spend a little more to get a lot more performance.

The Geforce 3060 is similarly a previous-generation part and you can spend a tiny bit more to get far better performance (both from AMD parts of the same generation that forego certain Geforce features, and just from Geforce 4000 series cards).

Do you care about ray tracing? (Do you know what ray tracing is to care about it?)

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
You can get fully legit Win 10/11 keys right here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368 for $15 or $20 bucks, no need to be paying full retail price :homebrew:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MREBoy posted:

You can get fully legit Win 10/11 keys right here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3898368 for $15 or $20 bucks, no need to be paying full retail price :homebrew:

They're not legit, they're resold MSDN/bulk license keys. They're legally no different from piracy, there's literally no reason to pay $20 for someone else to pirate on your behalf.

If you want to pirate windows, power to you, just google activation scripts instead of paying someone $20 for a stolen key.

ISawAPuddyTat
Jan 17, 2024

BurritoJustice posted:

They're not legit, they're resold MSDN/bulk license keys. They're legally no different from piracy, there's literally no reason to pay $20 for someone else to pirate on your behalf.

If you want to pirate windows, power to you, just google activation scripts instead of paying someone $20 for a stolen key.

So I wouldn't need to purchase the windows OS if I just pirate it? if so, could you link me to a video on how to do so? It'd be great to cut down spending on an unnecessary part, but I want to make sure the pirated version works just as well.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

ISawAPuddyTat posted:

So I wouldn't need to purchase the windows OS if I just pirate it? if so, could you link me to a video on how to do so? It'd be great to cut down spending on an unnecessary part, but I want to make sure the pirated version works just as well.

If you just Google what I said in the previous post (directly after "google") it should show up. The Microsoft license server will just let you activate if you ask it, pretty much, because the licenses aren't really how they enforce buying windows. They enforce it for large organisations using their legal teams but they don't really care for single users that avoid the system.

I'm using vague language because it's technically :filez:, but it's literally no more filez than the bootleg keys that are forums approved and regularly thread recommended :shrug:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I reinstalled Windows 11 and I think I did something weird with the partitions. I deleted each of the partitions on my previous 1TB Windows 11 drive and then chose New and it installed and I got it up and running.

Long before I had that 1TB drive, I was using Windows 10 on a 500GB drive. I saw that drive still has three partitions on it including an EFI System Partition, a Recovery Partition, and a Basic Data Partition. The 1TB drive that now has Windows on it only has one partition that says it's Boot, Page, Crash, Basic Data.

When I restart now it takes me to a screen where I have to choose to boot to Win11 or 10. The BIOS also doesn't list the 1TB M.2 drive as a UEFI boot option so it's always booting from the 500GB. Is there a way to reconcile this now that I'm already up and running?

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

Can I have a sanity check please, mainly about compatibility issues and if I can get more bang for buck with different components (UK prices).

What country are you in? UK
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? <£2000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p @ 100Hz. High (not Ultra) settings.

Don't need a monitor, keyboard/mouse, or Windows licence.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£340.99 @ MoreCoCo)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£35.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650M-P Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (£119.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory (£116.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN580 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£111.99 @ Western Digital)
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card (£629.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Corsair 3000D AIRFLOW ATX Mid Tower Case (£69.95 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£109.31 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack (£24.99 @ AWD-IT)
Total: £1559.20
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-13 16:13 BST+0100

divx
Aug 21, 2005

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Primarily gaming
What's your budget? $2000

Can someone sanity check this build please? My current PC is an 8700k with 16 GB RAM, a GTX 1080, a 500 GB SATA SSD, and a 4 TB HD. I've got a 1440p 144 Hz monitor that is gsync only so I'm sticking with Nvidia for the GPU. Most games I play are CPU intensive (Stellaris, Civ, Old World), but I do want a GPU that can play Cyberpunk on high settings (without ray tracing) at 60 fps. I'm under my budget so I picked an 850W power supply in case I want to upgrade to a more power hungry GPU in the future. I'm going to transfer my digital Windows license to the new PC and if that fails get one from SAmart

Should the heatsink that comes with the MOBO be sufficient for the SN850X?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($387.94 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850X 4 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($299.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.00 @ Walmart)
Total: $1754.80
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-13 11:09 EDT-0400

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Lmao don’t pirate windows and don’t listen to this person

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

MarcusSA posted:

Lmao don’t pirate windows and don’t listen to this person

They're right though, the license agreement doesn't allow reselling so as far as both the letter and intent of Windows licensing, buying secondhand keys that aren't allowed to be resold doesn't make your Windows legit.

Windows Server Datacenter has an MSRP over $6,000, what's the point of paying $20 for an invalid key vs $0? Same thing with normal $200 Windows 11 Pro keys, right?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Twerk from Home posted:

They're right though, the license agreement doesn't allow reselling so as far as both the letter and intent of Windows licensing, buying secondhand keys that aren't allowed to be resold doesn't make your Windows legit.

Windows Server Datacenter has an MSRP over $6,000, what's the point of paying $20 for an invalid key vs $0? Same thing with normal $200 Windows 11 Pro keys, right?

The odds that an MSDN key gets revoked are incredibly small vs using some random piracy script found on the internet.

Also there are YouTube tech guys with 1-2 million subs schilling sites like

https://m.vip-urcdkey.com/software/p202110081347357709.html?urd=Eta11

So if MS was going to shut down the loophole they probably would have. I could definitely see them taking action against a piracy script or whatever though.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Does windows 11 even require keys anymore? I've done a few clean installs on machines using the no microsoft account BYPASSNRO install method and I never get a watermark or anything in the corner.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

MarcusSA posted:

The odds that an MSDN key gets revoked are incredibly small vs using some random piracy script found on the internet.

So if MS was going to shut down the loophole they probably would have. I could definitely see them taking action against a piracy script or whatever though.
By the same logic it would be incredibly easy for MS to shut down the "piracy scripts" because all they do is ask MS servers to activate the correct version of Windows IIRC, so far they have not and the scripts have been up for years and are hosted on a dev platform owned by Microsoft. :shrug:

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
The short of it is, Windows registering is an absolute mess and who knows what's allowed and not anymore, but for the love of god don't pay $100 for Windows lol.

(I imagine this is also not helping a "PC beginner" feel less overwhelmed. :v: Do speak up if you have other questions, PuddyTat, especially about hardware.)

EDIT:

oh no computer posted:

Can I have a sanity check please, mainly about compatibility issues and if I can get more bang for buck with different components (UK prices).

Looks perfectly fine for what you want to do. I'd mostly ask my usual questions about the motherboard, going both ways - does this have all the functionality and rear-panel connections you want? Do you want/need more m.2 slots? Is the price just right? (Do you want to go even less expensive? More?) Is the sound support sufficient? It looks pretty good for your needs but this is always worth considering.

The WD Blue is also a bit slower than other comparable drives, but it's a perfectly valid money-saver and will mostly run as fast as other drives of its type, so if it saves you a few pounds, it's valid.

Also, not sure you'll need extra case fans, but that's purely up to you.

divx posted:

Can someone sanity check this build please? My current PC is an 8700k with 16 GB RAM, a GTX 1080, a 500 GB SATA SSD, and a 4 TB HD. I've got a 1440p 144 Hz monitor that is gsync only so I'm sticking with Nvidia for the GPU. Most games I play are CPU intensive (Stellaris, Civ, Old World), but I do want a GPU that can play Cyberpunk on high settings (without ray tracing) at 60 fps. I'm under my budget so I picked an 850W power supply in case I want to upgrade to a more power hungry GPU in the future. I'm going to transfer my digital Windows license to the new PC and if that fails get one from SAmart

Pretty much as above, looks perfectly fine. Are you sure the motherboard has everything you want? Do you want something even cheaper? Are you going to stick to just two m.2s (there's an ASRock with three slots for about 20 bucks more)?

Other than that, you look perfectly fine and seem to know what you want out of the PC and have chosen good parts for it, so go for it.

quote:

Should the heatsink that comes with the MOBO be sufficient for the SN850X?

Easily.

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2024

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Twerk from Home posted:

If you live in EU you have the legitimate option of buying used keys, for example from recycled office computers.

EU court rules resale of used software licenses is legal — even online
https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

divx
Aug 21, 2005

SpaceDrake posted:

Pretty much as above, looks perfectly fine. Are you sure the motherboard has everything you want? Do you want something even cheaper? Are you going to stick to just two m.2s (there's an ASRock with three slots for about 20 bucks more)?

Other than that, you look perfectly fine and seem to know what you want out of the PC and have chosen good parts for it, so go for it.

Easily.

Thank you!

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

The short of it is, Windows registering is an absolute mess and who knows what's allowed and not anymore, but for the love of god don't pay $100 for Windows lol.

Yeah, imagine paying $100+ for the “privilege” of allowing Microsoft to use dark patterns designed to harvest your analytics data, which they will then sell, while also constantly pushing nagging ads for additional paid services as if you didn’t pay over $100 for their operating system.

gently caress Microsoft; buy cheap activation licenses or otherwise pirate their garbage OS. They have nothing but contempt for users, and I’m hard pressed to find a reason I should give a poo poo about their bottom line.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

Buying MSDN keys is literally the windows equivalent of paying for ROMs, it's genuinely stupid to pay someone to pirate on your behalf. There is zero perceptible or legal difference between using a MSDN key and using a script, except the former requires you to go through a crappy PayPal ordering system to give some schmuck $20.

And the activation scripts have been around for years and are basically semi-official, you have Microsoft support employees using them to activate windows because it's quicker than moving over an OEM license.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

BurritoJustice posted:

Buying MSDN keys is literally the windows equivalent of paying for ROMs, it's genuinely stupid to pay someone to pirate on your behalf. There is zero perceptible or legal difference between using a MSDN key and using a script, except the former requires you to go through a crappy PayPal ordering system to give some schmuck $20.

And the activation scripts have been around for years and are basically semi-official, you have Microsoft support employees using them to activate windows because it's quicker than moving over an OEM license.

One gives you an actual product key and the other :shrug:

I’d much rather have a product key tied to my MS account vs running the script.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

One gives you an actual product key and the other :shrug:

I’d much rather have a product key tied to my MS account vs running the script.

The script ties a product key to your account in the same way as an OEM key (linked to HWID), you only ever have to run it once per hardware configuration. In the future all you need to do is log in.

I wasn't kidding when I said it was literally identical.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Did they ever shut down that gamepass conversion deal? They don't seem quick to push back on this kind of thing when it means market share.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ages ago unfortunately

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

The conversion trick still works, they just reduced the ratio from 1:1 to 3:2. You can still buy 3 years of Xbox Game Pass Core (formerly Xbox Live Gold) for pretty cheap, then convert it into 2 years of Game Pass Ultimate.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm planning on building a new gaming pc and repurposing my current i7-7700k/my old 1070 FTW to be a home server/4k plex box/docker box. I have this put together in PCPartPicker:

Fractal Design North ATX mid tower
i7-14700k
Corsair H150i CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E
Corsair Vengeance 64gb DDR5-6000 ram
Samsung 990 Pro 2tb M.2
EVGA 3080TI FTW3 (already own)
RM850x PSU (already own)

Then for OS I’m planning on Linux, either Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Clear Linux

Few questions:
1) PCPP says they estimate me at 735w; is the 850w PSU i already have more than enough provided i have no intention of OC'ing?
2) Is there a thread favourite mobo? i just need/would like faster RAM + enough slots for the 3080ti and the M.2 ssd, and i'd love to move away from my current full atx setup to something smaller
3) i havent kept up with CPU stuff in a long time; I know AMD has gained popularity, but i have bad memories of horrible driver issues back in the Phenom II x4 days. I honestly just picked the modern version of my current 7700k; is that unnecessary for primarily gaming and streaming? i wouldnt mind cutting this $1700 price down a bit, but i can also afford it or something slightly pricier if the performance jump is worth the extra cash

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 14, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
The 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU on the market right now, end stop. It also draws a shitload less power than the 14700K and can be cooled easily using a much cheaper air cooler.

Also, the Phenom 2 line was discontinued in 2012. Driver issues with a chip that's been out of production for well over a decade isn't relevant to modern computer building.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

The 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU on the market right now, end stop. It also draws a shitload less power than the 14700K and can be cooled easily using a much cheaper air cooler.

Also, the Phenom 2 line was discontinued in 2012. Driver issues with a chip that's been out of production for well over a decade isn't relevant to modern computer building.

Yeah I get that, but on nearly every game/gaming subreddit and forum you see people posting about driver issues or having to computer janitor their poo poo , so obviously there’s still some driver issues that I don’t feel like dealing with when Intel has never had that issue lol

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

maybe they are dumb fucks who are full of poo poo?

go intel by all means if it makes you happy of course lol

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Yeah I get that, but on nearly every game/gaming subreddit and forum you see people posting about driver issues or having to computer janitor their poo poo , so obviously there’s still some driver issues that I don’t feel like dealing with when Intel has never had that issue lol

I've had no issues with my 7800X3D build :shrug:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

I had plenty, but it was all because of Asus

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YerDa Zabam posted:

maybe they are dumb fucks who are full of poo poo?

go intel by all means if it makes you happy of course lol

I mean, for you to feel this strongly about it, what’s the hubbub? Is there a comparison somewhere I can check out to see if I’m willing to risk trying AMD after they lost me all that time ago? How much more performant are we talking here?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Gaming jesus has some videos on it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KKE-7BzB_M
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WRF2bDl-u8

The 7800X3D will perform better, while using so little power you can cool it quietly with a $30 air cooler (Thermalright Peerless Assassin).

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I mean, for you to feel this strongly about it, what’s the hubbub? Is there a comparison somewhere I can check out to see if I’m willing to risk trying AMD after they lost me all that time ago? How much more performant are we talking here?

Just taking a swipe at reddit, no strong feelings, no offense intended.

I note that your post mentions you'll be using Linux though so I've no idea if that makes any difference, maybe some Linux people should weigh in?

Very generally talking (and with Windows in mind) the 7800x3D will perform better in games by a few percent, up to 20 percent (game/gpu/resolution dependent) It also uses about 60W while doing it (it is a 120W part, but never really hits close) so is cooler which would serve you very well if you do decide to downsize from ATX, (as be cheaper to run of course)
Prices vary, but the AMD part is usually about 50 bux/euro/pounds cheaper too. In fact I think even the 14900k is bested by the AMD chip at points, and that fucker is what $550 and runs even hotter.

This isn't some dumb fanboy poo poo, I loving hate that poo poo. All of these companies suck one way or the other. I was badly burned by AMD's bollocks in the past, and avoided them for years, but credit where it is due they have had their poo poo together since 2018(?) Basically, there is no inherent risk in buying either brand as far as drivers and bios issues go (unless Linux is different, someone else can advise if so)

Your PSU will still be fine either way though btw

YerDa Zabam fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 14, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I mean, for you to feel this strongly about it, what’s the hubbub?

This thread generally pushes back strongly against brand favouritism, as it well should. You can find people who hate any of the major component manufacturers because they got unlucky once or twice, and when there’s actual systematic problems with a part then it will be very quickly sniffed out these days. Over a decade is a lifetime in this business and is more than enough time for the situation to completely change.

As far as anecdotal evidence is concerned the 7800x3D has been the default mid to high range gaming recommendation ever since its release itt and I don’t remember any pattern of complaints about it.

Also you don’t need 64GB of ram for a gaming build now or in 5 years. 32 will do you just fine, the majority of games barely even need 16 still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

For what it's worth everybody also has driver problems (core affinity, crashes under heavy load) and has to janitor their poo poo with high-end Intel also now. The pain points have been that the OS doesn't know to only run games on Intels fast cores and not the slow cores, but the slow cores only exist on higher end Intel. There's also some real problems with many recent i7 and i9 processors where the default BIOS settings result in problems when under heavy load, making for crashy systems.

If you want to sidestep drama and get the best value overall I think that the Core i3s and 2 generation old Core i5-12400 might be the best Intel options for someone who wants stability, they don't have slow cores and don't try to clock high so they're stable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

meanwhile at intel: https://www.tomshardware.com/pc-com...t-intel-support

I sincerely doubt that there's any more driver issues with AMD than there are with Intel but you do you I guess.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
I have a 7700X and run Linux exclusively. Zero problems with it or the AMD graphics card I just picked up. The NVidia card I had was usable on Wayland but I was tired of replacing old display bugs with new ones every driver upgrade. No show stoppers but goddamn did it show what garbage electron can be. Gaming with the nvidia card was on par with Windows, same with the AMD card.

I've been burned by AMD in the early 00s but this time around I haven't noticed a difference beyond it being much faster than the i7 8700k it replaced.

e: all the AMD stuff is built into the Linux kernel, so it's generally less overhead to just use it. Maybe don't use an old kernel if you wanna be on the latest and greatest. I use fedora for the desktop. M'linux

Well Played Mauer fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 14, 2024

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'm thinking of taking the ssd out of my older pc and sticking it in my new build for some extra storage. Is there anything I should know about doing that? Compatibility or something?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I appreciate the feedback everyone! imma have to check it out more and watch those videos wibla posted. The power consumption diff is pretty nuts, and yeah the amd drivers being baked into linux are both super compelling alone so you’ve definitely given me food for thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Jeremor posted:

I'm thinking of taking the ssd out of my older pc and sticking it in my new build for some extra storage. Is there anything I should know about doing that? Compatibility or something?

If it doesn't have an OS install on it, you're fine. If it does have an OS install on it, make sure to set proper boot priority in BIOS. Other than that, you really shouldn't have any issues.