Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Deceptor101 posted:

A few disclaimers/notes:
-I already have the CPU cooler, admittedly an older version of it that I can buy an $8 adapter kit for the LGA1700, so if I go AM5 I have to get a new cooler.
-It seems to make sense to get the newest i5, although a lot of mobos complain about 14th gen, but it's just loading a bios flash onto a thumb drive on setup, right?
-Motherboards are making my head spin a bit, but this one has nicer audio, wifi, fast PCI-E, M2 and ethernet. It's not a huge chunk of cash to get one with the bells and whistles, right? and a Z690 board makes sense for an unlocked processor?
-Why does the mobo say "* Dedicated LGA1700 mounting bracket is required."? Do I buy that separately?

Let me know if I'm doing anything stupid or whatever. It's probably overkill but if it lasts me another 10 years of medium gaming, that's good for me.

The CPU cooler is what it's referring to for the Dedicated LGA17000 mounting bracket so it's that $8 kit.

That board has a BIOS Flashback option so if the board doesn't have 17.03 or higher BIOS on it you can flash it to the latest BIOS and it should work.

I agree about the boards. I've been eyeing upgrading recently and have been looking at all sorts of boards. That board seems okay. The one review I saw complained about "last gen audio codec" on it, but if it works it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Red_Fred posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $0.00)
[
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For $0.00)

Can I keep using the case and CPU cooler? If it's preferable to do a full new build that is.
The case should definitely be fine. I had one of those before I switched to a Meshify 2 Compact just because I liked it better.

The cooler should be good. If you're moving to an LGA1700 socket you can get a free mounting kit from Noctua: https://noctua.at/en/intel-lga1700-mounting-kit-order-form
You just have to supply the invoices for the cooler and your LGA1700 series CPU or motherboard.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

double nine posted:

Is there a way to compare SSD health?

I have to reinstall windows on a desktop, and it has 2 ssd's of equivalent size. I'm thinking it might be better to install windows the drive that didn't have it until now, on the assumption that the drive that has had windows installed on it will have had to endure more "wear and tear", but I can't be sure.

(both drives will be reformatted regardless for a clean restart)

I use HWiNFO64 and it shows a lot of drive info including the device health, reads and writes, and errors.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin
I put WD_BLACK SN850X 1 TB drives in my latest build and have been happy with them.
Just ordered a 2 TB version from Amazon for $156.99 just for games.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Pooperscooper posted:

Thanks! Sorry I'm a bit out of the PC parts game but does Corsair make a good PSU? I've always heard quality PSU is a must and okay splurging on it. Can you recommend a PC Case that is quiet and looks good maybe like $150-$200?

I've been using Corsair PSUs for a few years now and have had no issues. Built multiple systems with a Corsair RM850x in it.
For a 40 series card you need a $19 cable for 12VHPWR if you don't want to use the adapter that comes with the card.

For cases, I've been really happy with the Corsair 4000D. It was easy to build in and routing cables in it was great.
I swapped out the fans for Noctuas and it's dead quiet most of the time.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

fletcher posted:

Does the speed matter for erasing ssds? I thought you can just do the secure erase that is pretty much instant

You can't secure erase properly with the USB adapter. I have a Sabrent USB C adapter.
At least with a Samsung drive and the Samsung secure erase software it will recognize the drive, but when you run hit erase it will immediately return that it was successful.
Normally when you erase a drive it takes a few seconds.

Booting back into the OS the drive still has all the data on it.

This is why I put together a machine from some old parts I had just to use for erasing/updating drives.

The only thing I had to buy was a CPU for $14.
It's just a 7100t, but it works nicely.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Xenoborg posted:

Thanks all, I'm hitting buy. Went with the heatsink version since at worst its a waste of $20 and maybe it does something useful.

You know that motherboard already has a heatsink/spreader already, right?
You have to remove it to mount the drives under it. Granted, you can leave it off if you wanted to use your own.

My ASUS boards have that and the three NVME drives I have in there haven't gotten over 50°C.
Right now it's about 21°C in my room and the RAID drives(under the same heatsink) are at 46° and 44° and my game drive under another heatsink is 43°.

All the drives are SN850X. Two 1TB and one 2TB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Xenoborg posted:

Nope! I’m nostly ignorant of anything having to do with M2 since it wasn’t around last time I built. Hopefully I don’t have a clash. I can ask at MC when I pickup.

It should be fine.

That board has three m.2 slots. You can just leave the heatsink off the the one you're putting that drive in.

The drive you're getting has a RGB LED on it so it'll look nice in that slot.