Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is there a component/device that I could look for if I want to place my GPU outside of my mid tower? I want to do it for two reasons: to not have the GPU block out the other pretty components on the mobo since the 30x0 are rather chunky and to have the GPU utilizing cooler air outside and not contributing to a warmer overall case temp.

Tell me how dumb of an idea this is and/or if such a device exists. Preferably tempered glass to show off the GPU but also hopefully with some extra lights and enough holes/filters to help keep dust out.

And yes I fully understand this would require extra long extension cables of all types to do and would contribute to clutter and go against my current wire management.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So my case is a white corsair 4000D airflow. There's definitely enough room in there to rearrange components but I would be blocking the SSDs (one NVMe, one on the PSU shroud), sound card, and an LED strip I currently have over the PSU shroud (though I could easily place that elsewhere) were I to mount it vertically. I'd just like to see the bottom of the GPU as well as the side. The temperature argument is something I threw in there as a possible fringe benefit. Neither the CPU nor GPU go above 70/75c.

It was an idea I was tinkering with to be able to have my cake and eat it too, but the additional trouble and desktop clutter is likely not worth it.

If there are cases that support a side by side GPU and mobo layout or would have the GPU at right angles to the mobo but to the side, I might look into those for my next build/upgrade.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You say you’re done messing with the build, but how is the cable management :sickos:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So hypothetically, if you had one of the 3080 AIBs with a built in water block, is it worth building a custom loop just for the GPU? I don’t think I’ve seen such setups where only the GPU is in a custom loop - seems like with the fixed cost of everything else, you might as well get a block for the CPU as well. Do people actually make water loops just for the GPU or CPU?

change my name posted:

Absolutely terrible and crammed into the hole

:honk: