Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?

Fabulousity posted:

DO NOT mix modular cabling between different power supply manufacturers even if they fit. DO NOT even mix modular cabling between different models from the same manufacturer. The poo poo on the PSU side isn't standardized.
Only exception from this is if the manufacturer explicitly publishes a compatibility document showing which modular cables can be moved between PSU models.

I have successfully moved cables between some Corsair PSUs to fit into awkward cases, but only after double-checking Corsair's documentation. If the manufacturer doesn't publish that information, don't do it. It's especially bad because even some reputable brands are actually buying OEM PSUs from different suppliers, so you can't trust them to match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Xander77 posted:

The thread recommended I pick up a GTX 1660 TI as a replacement back in 2019 - is that still the default cost-conscious option?
The cost-concious option is to hit some kind of raffle to hope you get a GPU for near MSRP. Basically any GPU you can get your hands on - ask to buy a 1650 or RX 580 from a friend or whatever. Or buy a CPU with integrated graphics to tide you over, like an Intel i5-11400 or an AMD Ryzen PRO 4650G off AliExpress.

You might as well keep your card for the time being.

Xander77 posted:

I'm guessing a 2 terabyte SSD would be a decent compromise, no need to go out of my way for a 4 TB? Also, there are SATA and NVME SSD drives, apparently?
What are you going to use it for? SATA SSD are slower, generally, and the cost difference might not be worth it these day.

e:
  • What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Shitposting?
  • What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so.
    If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? Seriously answer this. It drastically changes the recommendations you will get.
  • If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use? What’s your typical project size and complexity? If you use multiple pieces of software, what’s your workflow?

Vir fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 17, 2021

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

:norway: Just a note for any Scandigoons shopping for computer parts on CDON: The site is a marketplace (like Amazon or Newegg unless fulfilled by the actual site), and shipping is a bit of a bingo depending on who the actual seller is. I just got a notification that my order arrived somewhere, but who knows where, and whether PostNord or Bring delievered it? :iiam:

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

change my name posted:

That CPU is pretty much top-of-the-line new new, don't worry about it. The front fans that suck air in from a solid pane of glass (there are no vents on either side either??) are hilarious, though

I wonder if this is the idea here - intake from a narrow slot on the top and bottom of the front panel. Since the case has a filtered mesh top, I'd just take the front fans and mount them as intake at the top. You wouldn't see the unicorn puke as well though, unless the case is on the floor.

Only registered members can see post attachments!