Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Kibner posted:

The way Ryzen works for higher core counts is with chiplets (CCDs). The 7900 and 7950 both use chiplets. 7900 has 6 cores on each and 7950 has 8 on each. the 7800 has a single chiplet of 8 cores. There is a very large latency penalty when trying to communicate from one chipet to another. As such, the 7900X3D will be worse at gaming than the 7800X3D (because games will only use the X3D chiplet and the 7900X3D has 2 fewer cores) and worse at general computing things than the 7900 (because the X3D cores are clocked a bit lower).

It's a really weird chip and doesn't have many good use cases which is probably why you were able to find it so much cheaper than its list price.

Yeah but if you are planning on doing both gaming and multithreaded productivity work it does a pretty decent job minimaxing. In games it'd be about the same as a hypothetical 7600x3d which looking at how the 7600 and 7700 compare to each other wouldn't be a bad option at all and in the multithreaded productivity work you're still getting the benefits of an extra 4 cores 8 threads over the 7800x3d even if you're losing out on like 5% performance from where a PBO'd 7900 would get you. If you're doing both things it's completely worth considering over a 7800x3d.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Virtue posted:

I'm looking at upgrading my pc and have a AMD Ryzen 7 3700X cpu and a GTX 1080 gpu. Will I hit a cpu bottleneck just upgrading the gpu? I'd like to do some 120fps gaming at 1080p if not 1440p but stuff is so expensive these days I can live with 1440p at 60fps.

at 1440p upgrading the CPU is going to matter less. You could move quite a bit up from a 1080 without really holding the card back at all. There's some 380 dollar 6800 cards that're probably peaking price:performance right now but if you want nvidia a 4070S isn't going to be super held back at 1440p.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

1080 is not ok for 1440p unless its 1440p @ 60 or older games.

The new GPU are absolute monsters and the games are starting to assume you have them.

I mean tbf that means the 1080 is still basically keeping up with console performance in a lot of games. Not bad for an 8 year old card to still be relevant on the budget end.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

It’s definitely behind consoles at this point, the consuls do 4K.

It's behind but not outrageously so. 4k specifically is rough but 2k and 1080p it's more about turning off fancy features and hoping mesh shading doesn't become the norm.

If you compare to the Series S it's still trading blows.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

willroc7 posted:

I'm having trouble picking a B650 motherboard from microcenter. When I go down the review rabbit hole, no matter which board I'm looking at, I find dealbreaker level issues (like audio stuttering on the MSI Tomahawk). I'm trying to get something in the $150-200 range for a 7800x3d for typical gaming use. The only feature I care about beyond "just works" is a nice audio codec. Here are some of the ones I've been considering, but I"m open to suggestion (as long as it is carried by MC).

https://www.microcenter.com/product/659662/msi-b650-mag-tomahawk-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

https://www.microcenter.com/product/660139/asrock-b650-pg-lighting-amd-am5-atx-motherboard

open box one of these: https://www.microcenter.com/product/660137/asrock-b650e-pg-riptide-wifi-amd-am5-atx-motherboard ($160 open box)

Thanks thread.

You're buying a 7800x3d from microcenter why would you not just go with the gaming x combo? If the on board audio isn't to your standard just grab an apple DAC and call it a day.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009
  • What country are you in?
    US, PNW
  • Do you live near Microcenter?
    No and I genuinely don't understand how there isn't at least one in loving idaho or something.

I'd like to replace my case as it's gotten pretty banged up over the years and I never really liked it that much in the first place. I'd like an atx mid tower with either a steel or mesh side panel and not glass or acrylic. I'm fine with the arctic p12s I'm using so I don't need to worry about the fans on the case. I'd like for the case itself to have at least one usb-C port, preferably more, and I need it to be able to support at least 2 and ideally more 3.5 inch drive bays and as many 2 inch ones as I can get. Additionally, it needs enough CPU cooler clearance to handle a peerless assassin. Ideally I'd like the case to be less than 100 dollars, as this is eating into my GPU fund and I'm starting to feel that itch a bit too.

Plugging that into PCPP I basically just get one result of the Silverstone FARA 513 type-c, which does utilitarianisticly fit my needs but I just don't like it's aesthetic. I know PCPP doesn't list everything though, and I'm hoping people here have other ideas. If not, I guess I'll just slap this thing the hell up with stickers. Thanks for any advice!

edit: Would be nice if the USB ports were on the top but that's not a dealbreaker. 350mm is basically the minimum I'm shooting for in terms of gpu length support.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 1, 2024

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

What is 2K? I thought that 2k and 1080p were the same.

2560x1440p. Fry's and Microcenter both labelled them as 2k in store and it stuck for me.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

spunkshui posted:

I really wish we had just stuck up actual numbers of pixels instead of trying to swap to the fancy 4K

I'm mostly glad people don't stick to the 3/4 letter names because they're all unmemorable as gently caress.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, there seems to be a hidden ~$150 - $160 discount being applied when adding a 7800X3D plus memory and a compatible motherboard to your cart (the exact discount amount seems to depend on the memory selected). If you use the same memory as what's in the usual $499 bundle, the discount is only $10 lower than the bundle discount, so it may be worth it to upgrade to a better motherboard if you want.

I think the Gigabyte AORUS Elite AX is pretty good though I don't know if it's worth the extra $40 over the regular Gaming X bundle. It all depends on your needs. Look at the IO and storage options you think you'll need and then get a motherboard that suits this.

Oh if they're just letting you get whatever the hell motherboard you want now I think I'd see if I could get them to price match newegg's 179.99 on the b650e pg riptide

edit: absolutely a motherboard I'd get that DAC for though.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Anyone have any suggestions for my brother, who currently has I believe a 600w gpu, a GTX 960, and a ryzen 3? That’s probably 5 years old. He has a budget of $400, and my first idea was getting a 3070ti ftw3 or a 4060 ti/4070ti as a stretch, then hopefully he can start saving up for a microcenter cpu bundle when the next series of chipsets come out. I’d imagine that a beefier card will make up for the lack of CPU a lot more than a 7800x3d bundle would with a 960, but I’m still pretty out of the loop on some of this stuff

Depends on the games he plays and his motherboard but I'd look at replacing the CPU with a 5600 after a motherboard BIOS update and then grabbing the best used card you could find for the other 280. It's close to 2080ti territory if you could go like 40 bucks over, if not 2080 or used 6700xt.

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Unless it's a really old model

Even the super old models usually can do it. Sometimes even if it's not listed as having support if it got bios updates after the release of the CPU, then "Update AMD AM4 AGESA Combo" is the bios patch note that you'd hope to see. (Can always google the version # to follow up) Asrock in particular is funny about actually adding the support but not bothering to put it on the list. As mentioned, you'll want to have the new chip in hand before making this update, as it will likely remove support for your current CPU.

The exception are usually things like HP or Dell systems, in which case you're probably hosed by some custom motherboard that only ever had bios support for the exact models of CPU sold in that model-year of production.

TBH though with that game list I'd be more tempted to buy a 5700x3d. (assuming motherboard support) Lots of tactical simmy games that'd benefit quite a bit, probably a higher chance than usual of playing poo poo that has real spaghetti code in the future that benefits from more cache as well. Leftover money would only get you to just above minspec for GZ though, 5700xt probably your best bet. Or move to 450 and grab a 2080/2080S or 1080ti.

Babby Formed fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 6, 2024

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Ok finally got some updates back from him. Good news and bad news

Good news: he’s upped the budget to $650

Bad news: his current cpu is a Ryzen 3 1200, and his PSU is only 500w :negative:

Would look at something like this, the CPU upgrade is going to be insane in literally every game he plays and the 2080ti is good now and overclocks like a champ if he ever wants to go for it. I see a few on ebay for 300 buy it now it shouldn't be that bad to find one.

Did you get a motherboard model? Just to be sure the upgrade is a thing he can do?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($229.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini WHITE ARGB V3 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Video Card ($300.00)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $636.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 00:26 EDT-0400

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Thank you!!

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450%20pro4/index.asp#Specification

This is his board. Spec sheet says it supports the 5000 series, so I think we can do a 5600 or a 5700x3D?

Worst case looks like a pretty good bundle deal: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

This is honestly a much better board than I expected him to have and you're totally fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babby Formed
Jan 2, 2009

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

If I wanted a fancy pants onboard sound card for a 7800x3D, what would you recommend? I think I had finalised the gigabyte b650 aorus elite, but if there’s one that won’t tempt me to buy a dac I’m all ears

If you're just going for stereo buy an apple DAC, if you're hooking up a 5.1 setup then you should probably just buy a "real" DAC. Buy once cry once as they say.