Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Look up external GPU mounts. You should just need a mount, riser cable, and a way to get you cables from your PSU to the card. They're almost all open air, so you can view your GPU without obstruction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Butterfly Valley posted:

ITX/SFF has come a long way and is no longer the preserve of insane masochists who enjoy making life more difficult for themselves for little tangible benefit. Mainstream manufacturers have cottoned on to the market and as such there's now a great choice of ITX cases to suit all needs. There's everything from smaller standard towers like the Coolermaster NR200, to vertically oriented towers like the NZXT H1, to minimalist sandwich style cases like the NCase M1, to tiny console-style cases like the Sliger CL520.

Isn't the H1 the case that had the faulty riser cables that started fires and then NZXT tried to avoid responsibility as much as possible?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Does anybody know where I can buy a Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS 280mm radiator in new condition? Also in black. I found one place on ebay, but they don't ship to the US at all. I'm beginning to wonder if the 280mm is even still in production.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I always buy shoes two or three pairs at a time. But that's because it's hard for me to find a pair I really like, so it could be 2-3 years before I find a new model that I like. And my shoes can get worn out in a year or two.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I loving love my Nvidia Shield Pro. It has filled the hole I thought could only be filled by an HTPC. No optical drive for Blurays, but even those are going out of style.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I'm going to be honest, I have not really tested that. A quick search shows it looks like it involves some work arounds. But I believe Windows should be able to cast to the shield, or even your smart TV. Though your input devices need to be plugged into the computer.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If using game stream for specific games, the shield can use inputs from USB or Bluetooth and will send them back to the PC. That includes USB wireless dongles. So you could use one of the new Xbox controllers that has Bluetooth built in, or a keyboard and mouse.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Basically. And it runs Android TV so it's got access to a lot of apps already.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

This might be a stupid question and I'm sorry. I have a Z370 motherboard with G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16 ram (I copy and pasted this directly from my order history with Microcenter). If I wanted to upgrade to a 5800x and a Asus X570 motherboard, would I need to get new RAM? The x570 says it's DD4 so I don't think I do, but I also don't want cheap out if new RAM would actually be better.

The sweet spot with ryzen is 3600MHz RAM, but that's just what's optimal. 3200 will still be absolutely fine if you don't want to spend the money.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
It never hurts to go bigger, especially if you want the extra headroom for overclocking. What's the price difference? If it's negligible, go with the 850. I'm currently running a 1000W with a 5800X and 3090 FTW3 Ultra. And I plan to overclock on watercooling.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
What do you consider cheap?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
A oot of motherboards have a usb-c header for front panel USB-C. But it is a different header from USB 3 so make sure the motherboard has it. Cases are easy to find as well. Fractal Design cases are great to build in, and the compact cases usually still fit an ATX motherboard and can be found for under $100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Yeah. An extension can be generic. It's if you get a replacement that it needs to be for the specific PSU. Because the motherboard end is always the same. It's the PSU end if the cable that changes based on manufacturer and model.