Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

My brother asked me to get him a new PC, with a budget of around $1500... and I'm completely out of my depth. I've gotten a ton of feedback about how pre-builts are a bad way to go, but a bit intimidated about picking parts and assembling them.

He games mostly, diablo 4 probably being the most demanding, but its not like he wants to run it on ultra settings or anything. Just something decent enough to hold up. Any guidance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

So, I shouldn't be too concerned with PCIe compatibility? That's good to know. I've been considering the best way to upgrade my old pc, for under like $500. Is the 6700XT the best value card at that budget? Was thinking something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/XFX-Speedste...B08YKCC8XD&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2x16...c0-4513d670b6bc

My current specs are:
MS-7A72 motherboard
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz
GTX 1070

I'm so dumb about this poo poo. Anything I'm forgetting?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

My wife wants to get me a modern gaming PC for around $1500, so I've been looking into a good prebuilt because I have no idea what I'm doing.

https://maingear.com/product/mg1-gold/?attribute_version=Boost

This is what I've found that seems to be somewhat well thought of online? Can anybody help me make sure I'm not wasting too much money or missing something obvious?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I do not have a Microcenter near me unfortunately, but I'd be willing to try putting something together if that was obviously the better option.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'm convinced, I'll try building that one Dizzy posted above.

I'm actually only using 2 1080p monitors currently but I can see myself upgrading to 1440p in the near future. I don't care about 4k or anything like that.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Branch Nvidian posted:

Good catch! PCPartPicker missed that too!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-S WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($579.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.29 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1553.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-19 10:53 EDT-0400

hell yea dude, this looks rad. Thanks for the help yall

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Got everything for my pc except the processor. I keep seeing myself snap something in half or zap it with static or something. Anything I should be aware of before I start putting this thing together?

Also my wife surprised me and got herself a somewhat equivalent laptop, so we can play the same games for the first time. Pretty cool.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Branch Nvidian posted:

Good catch! PCPartPicker missed that too!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($369.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-S WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory ($102.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Acer Predator GM7000 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($579.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 TT Premium 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($102.29 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $1553.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-19 10:53 EDT-0400

Just finished building this pc last night, trying to boot it now and getting a red light for cpu and an orange one below that. Won't boot up, monitor doesn't act like it notices anything at all. I opened it up and tried making sure the ram was slotted in fully, checked the different connections on the mobo, no difference so far. I also left it to run for like 5 minutes and see if it'd fix itself, which it did not.

I'm terrified I hosed up the cpu somehow, but yeah I'm not sure what else to do. The Cooler was pretty tight to screw down on top of the processor, I'm hoping it's supposed to be like that. What should I do?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

https://ibb.co/ft92ss1
https://ibb.co/W2C4f6M

Here's two pictures of the cpu. It kind of looks like some pins got bent at some point but I have no idea how. Is this severe enough to cause problems?

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

https://ibb.co/f9tnJSt
https://ibb.co/vsHLNGD

Well I spent about 4 hours with a pocket knife trying to straighten everything. This is the result, best I could make it. Being hopeful, I installed the chip and the cooler back and tried to boot it.same issue, red cpu light yellow dram light, no monitor activity at all.

God drat it

I don't remember it looking like this when I got it, but I never dropped the chip or anything as far as I'm aware
I'm almost wondering if I used too much thermal paste and squashed the chip down in some weird way while installing the cooler. I don't know. I seriously doubt I'll get a warranty or anything like that for it. Ordered a replacement board now, least it wasn't too expensive I guess. Learned some lessons.

Jeremor fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 4, 2024

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

I'm thinking of taking the ssd out of my older pc and sticking it in my new build for some extra storage. Is there anything I should know about doing that? Compatibility or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Finally got my new pc built, with replacement motherboard. Aside from the bent pins it all went pretty smoothly. And I'm blown away by how well it does everything. If anyone is looking at just getting started on this stuff, look at my post history and try a similar build. I couldn't be happier. Thanks to folks in the thread for helping out.