Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
Hey thread, long time no see.

I am thinking about getting a box to play my old steam games on again but I'm on a budget and in Japan, where the yen is becoming more and more worthless every day. The most recent thing in my collection, and my target game, is Dark Souls 3. Honestly I will not be buying any new AAA games as I am old and jaded, and I have a PS5 for that. My monitor is a pa248qv which is 1920x1200 and has VRR (is this still relevant?)

My main fantasy is to avoid Windows completely and run some flavor of linux, using proton to run the non native games. I know historically the advice of the thread is to avoid APUs, buuuuttttt is that still the case? Could I save money and meet my needs with a little AMD APU build? Small form factor is a big plus too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MediumWellDone
Oct 4, 2010

おいしいよね〜
ソースがね〜
濃厚だね〜
I guess that's an option if I can plug it in to my monitor and use it like SFF computer.
Seems the price to beat then is ¥84,800.... and be in stock.