Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

stoicheian posted:

Hello, I am looking for a computer to play games on very high settings primarily plugged into a big OLED tv, though I may get a fancy monitor in the near future. Sounds like I need to buy prebuilt to get a newer GPU, but in very uncertain about build/part quality for different companies.

I was looking at this. Any thoughts?
Corsair prebuilt

I mostly settled in this because it is in stock and seems to come from a reasonably professional company. My budget is quite flexible. Any major red flags? Any suggestions for other systems to look at?

I bought that exact same model, although I haven't received it yet (it's set to arrive this week for a roughly 2 week turnaround from order to door). I did a whole lot of research and the only complaints/negative reviews I managed to find for them are about not having stock BIOS on the motherboard which resulted in USB issues, but they've since updated the BIOS and that problem is gone (as far as I know all the other parts are off the shelf and good quality). They're a bit pricier than a few of the other sites I looked at (ibuypower, cyberpowerpc etc), but are a whole lot more reputable. Not nearly as much customization as other sites allow, but honestly I trust the build quality a lot better if most of the parts are standardized between each build. Only real negative is if you want to go from a 3070 to a 3080 it's about a $1k price difference.

Well that and it's, of course, way overpriced as all prebuilts are. But eh, I just really, really didn't want to sit around obsessing over stock drops for months while hoping the market doesn't get even worse. I'll post a review once I get a chance to play around with it.

Edit: The RAM is only 3200 but prebuilts have enormous markups on RAM/SSDs so no matter where you go your best bet is to go default/lowest and then buy the RAM you actually want elsewhere.

Zeron fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

stoicheian posted:

Hello, I am looking for a computer to play games on very high settings primarily plugged into a big OLED tv, though I may get a fancy monitor in the near future. Sounds like I need to buy prebuilt to get a newer GPU, but in very uncertain about build/part quality for different companies.

I was looking at this. Any thoughts?
Corsair prebuilt

I mostly settled in this because it is in stock and seems to come from a reasonably professional company. My budget is quite flexible. Any major red flags? Any suggestions for other systems to look at?

Promised a review so here's a quick one now that I've gotten to play around with it. It was packed really nice and it'd be pretty difficult for it to be damaged in shipping I think. The actual computer is very neat and compact and seems well built. It also looks quite nice and has all your RGB needs (not my thing but can be turned off easily enough), with real good cable management and it was easy enough to add in an additional HDD. The 3070 included in mine was a Gigabyte if that makes a difference to you. Temps are very, very steady 60s and below even with PBO bringing the 5600x up to a 4600ish clock rate. The only non-Microsoft bloatware included is a Corsair diagnostics app and iCUE for handling RGB stuff. It's also dead silent despite having 6 fans, but I imagine the airflow is quite good because it's a very effective space heater.

It's a bit of a premium even over other prebuilts but seems like it's pretty fantastic quality so I'd definitely recommend it (if you are going to pay the premium to get a prebuilt already).

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Tainen posted:

I am looking to buy a new PC. I want to buy a pre-made because I don’t have the time or energy to do the hunt for a decently priced gpu. This thread is filled with horror stories about pre-mades. Are they actually that bad or is this just a case where you only hear about the issues and 99% of them are going to be fine. I am looking at the systems that are around 2,000 on the MSI and Origin sites.

For reference the current system I am using is a 6 year old HP prebuilt that has given me zero problems.

You can get good premades, it's just that any from reputable/trustworthy builders are going to have a real high premium even over other prebuilt sites. The most common ones like ibuypower or cyberpowerpc are tossups on whether or not it'll work at all, Dell and Alienware make awful stuff, etc etc. This one is just as overpriced as the rest, but I have one myself that's worked out fantastically and I couldn't find any complaints about their build quality anywhere. Corsair actually owns Origin PC but it's like their rip off contractor site while directly buying from them gives you better quality/deals. https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Systems/CORSAIR-VENGEANCE-i7200-Series-Gaming-PC/p/CS-9050011-NA