Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I'm mostly fine why my pc, I have a question around the cpu though. Currently I have an i7 8700k. Its pretty good for everything I want to do, which is gaming. Work requirements do not come near to needing more performance. I'm aware there have been developments in the cpu market, AMD going beyond Intel. Am I good to sit on what I have? I don't really mind upgrading but I'm lazy. What I care most about is fps, I'll turn up things as much as I can I just hate stutters of any kind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Are you not hitting your FPS targets?

What resolution are you playing at, what's your refresh rate of your monitor, and what FPS are you looking to hit? What games are you playing?

Your GPU likely matters more than your CPU here. What GPU do you have.

For reference, I'm running a stock i7-7700k with a 3080 FE and I'm getting 1440p@144 in most things, and very very easily hitting 1440p@60 max settings with ray tracing (I'm getting 80s in the new RE game with everything on and near max).

Its more about am I going to run into a wall in the near future. I have a 3060 ti. I'd have loved to go higher but that was what was available. My monitor is 240 hz but the only game I get more than 240 fps is CS:GO. I'm playing at 1080, I honestly don't feel the difference at higher res than that.

The game my system most struggles with is Satisfactory. That's like factorio but 3d. When the save gets very big (with very big factories) the fps really starts to dip. Its early access so its not fully optimised but to be honest I don't expect much more in terms of optimisation. I think the issue is its doing a lot of calculations, there 780 items on this belt feeding into a machine that feeds other machines at other rates. It has to render all of that as well. I'm not 100% on what the bottleneck is.

Apart from high paced action games like cs my goal is always at or above 60 fps. There's a decent chance I'll get any new big release. I loved cyberpunk but I accepted that the game has technical issues so I put up with inconsistent fps. I thought about getting the new resident evil just to see how the raytracing was but then I remembered I never enjoy those games.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Grand so, sit on it is the advice. Its kind of the advice I wanted.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Howdy, what should a person make for 1,667.72 dollars or EU 1500, ish. Just talking the box, not monitor or peripherals. I have a 3060 ti which I don't think has outlived its use but the ram and cpu are probably on the way out. I play at 1080, I honestly don't see what 2k or 4k gets people but maybe that's a me issue. I only care about getting the highest fps possible. Everything looking smooth and seamless is 'graphics' for me