Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm resurfacing into new PC mode after a long while of not thinking about it. Is Intel still kicking AMD's rear end (in gaming applications)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I think a hybrid between the "Great" and "Excellent" guides on PCpartpicker is up my speed. However, what is a good substitute case that supports optical drives?

I am the last man on Earth who still buys CDs

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How does the RX 7900 XT compare to the regular RTX 4070, and the 4070-Ti

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Dec 13, 2023

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

If I get a 2 TB drive or whatever as primary storage, but want a secondary drive to install Windows on, how big should the second drive be?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Does iBuyPower or some other company sell a prebuilt model that's roughly equivalent to the enthusiast models recommended by pcpartpicker?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

How do the competing $399 micro center bundles shake out, amd vs intel-wise? I guess AMD is the new hotness from this page and is the better option.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

mystery at hog island posted:

I'm building around this Microcenter bundle.

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? Yes
What are you using the system for? Gaming, bullshit home office stuff, puttering around
What's your budget? Aiming for under $1500
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? High+ using 1440p 75 Hz + 1080p secondary.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 4.5 GHz 8-Core Processor Bundled with Mobo & Memory ($399.99@ MicroCenter)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B650-P WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard Bundle ($0 @ MicroCenter)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory Bundle ($0 @ MicroCenter)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Asus DUAL GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card ($549.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design North ATX Mid Tower Case ($139.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1586.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-02-10 13:39 EST-0500

I'm open to any feedback or suggestions. I'm upgrading from a 2016 i5/1070 build that served me well all this time.

I've been playing around with similar ideas based around the same micro center bundle. If you are looking to save a few bucks and get under 1500, something like this maybe https://www.microcenter.com/product/651303/inland-qn322-2tb-ssd-nvme-pcie-gen-30-x4-m2-2280-3d-nand-qlc-internal-solid-state-drive for the drive

I dont know much about cases (or drives), but I bet there's a good deal somewhere at microcenter

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What's AMD's competitor to the 4070? The 7800 XT series?

Branch Nvidian posted:

You can get a Windows license from BrownThunder or Lodge North in SA Mart for $20.

what's this now?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I get micro center's limited stores is probably how they're still around, but their locations always seem puzzling. Like, the Philly store being out in St. Davids is a decision.

And 3 stores in Ohio for some reason

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Are any these parts salvageable for reuse in a new rig

EVGA 500W PSU
EVGA DDR3 RAM
ASRock Z97X Killer Mobo
Some sort of Cooler Master fan cpu cooler

These are all from 2015-ish, so probably not

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

All these parts come from a computer with a fried hard drive, so it's time to get a new machine anyway

There's a local electronics recycling thing coming up soon, so that's one option

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

You can save 100+ bucks on Windows from either Brown Thunder or the other goon I'm forgetting

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is the 4070 Super worth the extra ~50 bucks over the 7900 GRE?

And how good of a brand are Inland SSD

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

I think I saw something earlier in the thread discussing while the 7800X3D is the best gaming chip, it does take a hit on more raw-core intensive professional software. I know everything is specific to each program, but compared to say the 7900X, what's the trade off in gaming compared to more cores

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Kibner posted:

Depends on how much you value ray tracing and DLSS over FSR.

jokes on you, I dont know what any of this means. :smuggo:

But anyway, microcenter says Ray tracing/DLSS are a nvidia thing and FSR is AMD. Are they just company equivalents of the same thing or are they competing frameworks and such

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Branch Nvidian posted:

Ray tracing is a non-vendor specific lighting model.
"RTX" is Nvidia branding for ray tracing, DLSS/DLAA are Nvidia-specific technologies for upsampling from a lower resolution to a higher resolution, and the 40-series cards can generate "fake" frames to give you a higher refresh experience.
FSR is an open-source AMD technology that aims to do the same as DLSS/DLAA, but it's not remotely as good.

Butterfly Valley posted:

Ray tracing is a universal path tracing technique used to make lighting, reflections and shadows look better and behave more naturally in games. It's resource intensive. Both nvidia and AMD cards can do it but nvidia are a generation ahead at the moment so their cards can do it better with less of a performance hit. DLSS and FSR are respective upscaling techniques used to turn a raw lower resolution image into a higher resolution output using wizardry. You can only use DLSS with nvidia cards but FSR is hardware agnostic (but again, generally runs worse than the nvidia equivalent)

cool thx. While Ray Tracing sounds cool, I've never been the most graphics at all costs guy, so who knows how much value I'll get out of it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is there any difference between using a single 4 TB SSD vs a 2 x 2 TB setup

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

What country are you in? :911:
Do you live near Microcenter? YES
What are you using the system for? Gaming/office/shitposting mainly, but there is a nonzero chance I might need some advanced scientific software
What's your budget? - 1500 ish USD
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? I have no idea. I'll grab a new monitor eventually, but that's a problem for another day.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial P3 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($129.99)
Case: Montech AIR 903 MAX ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99)
Power Supply: Thermaltake Toughpower GF A3 ATX 3.0 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($20.00)
Total: $853.86
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-08 16:02 EDT-0400

Everything is from Microcenter if not otherwise specified. Keeping with my 1500 budget, I got around 600 bucks to play with for a GPU. I keep waffling between the 7900 GRE and the 4070 Super

If I ever get the 75 bucks owed to me from someone else, I'll probably upgrade to a 4TB SSD as well.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

so basically a push at base settings, but 4070 is better with fancy upscaling and such?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

YerDa Zabam posted:

Does any of that software work better with nvidia or amd maybe?
Will you be using linux with the software? That can have a bearing too sometimes.

I dunno. I'm in the final stages of the job hunt and while I dont think I need fancy (home use) molecular modeling stuff atm, it could always change in the future

SpaceDrake posted:

More or less; it's been like that since the OG 4070 vs. the 7800XT. It really depends on how much you want DLSS3, ray tracing, and a few other nice features. DLSS3 is the absolute best upscaling in the industry right now, to be fair, so if you want to game in "4K" it can be really worth it.

I've never been a big frames at all cost guy, I think competent 1440p performance should be good enough for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

Is there a source that compares benchmarks for all the different partner brands of a single GPU model, A 4070 v B 4070. Most of what I can find is different GPU models entirely.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

what actual software packages would you use, and do you have a way of figuring out whether they would run better on Intel or AMD?

Hard to say. For example, I used a program called Gaussian the most. But given it was usually through a HPC server, I have no idea how performance translates to home use. Then again, its very likely I'm transitioning back to the experimental side of things and won't need the advanced stuff I've used previously.