Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
What country are you in? UK
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? I was hoping for around about £1k to leave some budget for upgrading my monitor etc later.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080 144Hz, I would like to game on high settings preferably upping to 1440 soon.

Here is what I cobbled together.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£367.07 @ NeoComputers)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2 Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (£107.18 @ NeoComputers)
Memory: TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL34 Memory (£189.84 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Black SN770 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£108.99 @ AWD-IT)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card (£539.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.90 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: Gigabyte P750GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£79.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1505.96

Some of this feels like overkill and the 4070 is a placeholder until the super comes out. I know nothing about motherboards so that was mostly me relying on the reviews and compatibility from part picker. I already have a small SSD as well so might not have to go all in with that, but that is not the costly part of the build so I might as well have it. I don't know if 64gb of ram is too much ram either. Am I making a total mess, or massively overpaying for limited gains, with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd say most of that looks fine, but I don't think I would trust a Gigabyte PSU considering they were shipping incendiary devices a year or two ago. About the memory - depending on what you're doing, I think 64GB is indeed overkill. For gaming and such 32GB should be fine - I think we're getting toward the inflection point where 16GB is a little small and 32GB is a good idea, but 64GB is usually not going to be needed.
Thank you for the warning about Gigabyte. I'll swap that out. I also plan on doing some more motherboard research so that might change too.

E: Whilst I'm looking into monitors, I don't suppose anybody has any idea what kind of resolution and framerate I can expect from a 7800x and 4070 super? I assume 1440 at 144hz for the foreseeable future?

Redundant fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jan 15, 2024

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Thanks for the pointers, following on from that I've made a few tweaks to what I had before.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£352.00 @ MoreCoCo)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler (£39.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Motherboard: ASRock B650M Pro RS Micro ATX AM5 Motherboard (£131.65 @ NeoComputers)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory (£109.44 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive (£149.00 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card (£589.00 @ Computer Orbit)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.90 @ Computer Orbit)
Power Supply: SeaSonic CORE GM 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£109.90 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1554.89

A few quick questions before I actually pull the trigger and start ordering parts, sorry if any of these are crushingly obvious:
1) does the manufacturer of a part make much of a difference? I went with an MSI 4070 super because I trust the name, does it make much difference though?
2) other than input/output options, how much difference does the motherboard make? I don't need WiFi or anything so I went with a pretty basic one that (I think) still has the outputs I need. Am I limiting myself in some way that I'm not aware of?
3) I get a power supply compatibility warning about ensuring I don't daisy chain or use the same power cable for the GPU. Is this as straightforward to avoid as it sounds, or am I causing myself a build headache when it comes to putting it all together?
4) given the power of the CPU I'm putting into this, is there scope for adding more RAM or swapping to a more powerful GPU down the line if I want to upgrade? Is it likely that the motherboard/PSU I've chosen would support that?

I think that's everything. Thanks for the support and patience with the newbie questions. I'm a nervous consumer at the best of times, let alone with things with so many variables.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

In my build (thanks for the tips, thread) I put the paste on and started attaching the cooler before I realised I had left a plastic strip on. I took the plastic off, slapped down a bit more paste to make sure there was enough and everything is fine. Based on the pea method I have used too much but it really doesn't seem to have made any difference at all.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Jeremor posted:

Got everything for my pc except the processor. I keep seeing myself snap something in half or zap it with static or something. Anything I should be aware of before I start putting this thing together?

Also my wife surprised me and got herself a somewhat equivalent laptop, so we can play the same games for the first time. Pretty cool.
Touch a radiator or your old, plugged in, PC every now and then for the static. It takes a lot of static to do any damage so you're probably fine. As for snapping things in half, most things click into place quite snugly so there's always that panicked moment when it chunks into the slot. Be firm but careful and everything will be fine.