Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
Trying to build a system for a family member:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming (they mentioned Halo Infinite, but also play older games that should run fine w/ integrated graphics) and web browsing.
What's your budget? 1-2k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p. The monitor technically supports 120hz but 60hz should be sufficient.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NTDw9N
I was thinking of getting a CPU with integrated graphics to have a system that is functional while waiting for GPU prices / availability to pick up. Is this a bad idea? I think the 3060ti should be more than enough but I don't know how easy it is to buy at MSRP.

Edit: Oh one more question. Is it worthwhile to wait for Black Friday / Cyber Monday deals before buying?

theratking fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Oct 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theratking
Jan 18, 2012
I'm considering building a HTPC / gaming PC to fit into a slot on my wooden TV stand. The slot is 20" wide, ~8" high, and ~18" long and it is completely open in the front and back. There's maybe ~4" of additional clearance between the back of the tv stand and the wall.

Seems like there are technically micro-ITX cases that will fit this space, but I'm not sure how to judge whether the system will be properly cooled in that environment. Is it a bad idea?

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

The Fractal Design Ridge mentioned a few posts up does fit in that space. I'd have some concerns about thermals given the case in horizontal mode will be about 4.5" (115mm), and the depth & width are each between 14.5" and 15". You could probably get away with the same build I suggested in the aforementioned post, but it's going to be toasty.

I guess the less space it fills up the better, and air flow in the "depth" direction should help to bring in fresh air from the front?

Seems the terra also mentioned fits the space too.

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Wibla posted:

A 120mm fan or two in the back to draw air through that space will probably help a lot.

Do you mean installing fans outside of the case?

theratking
Jan 18, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

Another satisfied customer.

I also went with this build and I'm happy with the result, thanks! The main change I made was to swap out the wifi card in the motherboard after reading some reviews that the Mediatek card in the b650i wasn't great. I replaced it with an intel AX210 card (like $20). Replacing it was a little finicky - you need to remove the IO shield and heatsink with a few screws on the bottom of the motherboard.

Only hiccup I had with building was the CPU cooler seemed to interfere with the installed RAM. There is very little clearance and I had to be careful to avoid overtightening the cooler.

The case fans are so much quieter than my last system and so far I haven't had any issues with thermals (only tried DOOM eternal on ultra settings). I am annoyed at the obnoxious LED blinking of the ridge case when the computer is sleeping so I might just disconnect the LED power.