Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm planning on building a new gaming pc and repurposing my current i7-7700k/my old 1070 FTW to be a home server/4k plex box/docker box. I have this put together in PCPartPicker:

Fractal Design North ATX mid tower
i7-14700k
Corsair H150i CPU Cooler
Asus ROG STRIX Z790-E
Corsair Vengeance 64gb DDR5-6000 ram
Samsung 990 Pro 2tb M.2
EVGA 3080TI FTW3 (already own)
RM850x PSU (already own)

Then for OS I’m planning on Linux, either Ubuntu/Kubuntu or Clear Linux

Few questions:
1) PCPP says they estimate me at 735w; is the 850w PSU i already have more than enough provided i have no intention of OC'ing?
2) Is there a thread favourite mobo? i just need/would like faster RAM + enough slots for the 3080ti and the M.2 ssd, and i'd love to move away from my current full atx setup to something smaller
3) i havent kept up with CPU stuff in a long time; I know AMD has gained popularity, but i have bad memories of horrible driver issues back in the Phenom II x4 days. I honestly just picked the modern version of my current 7700k; is that unnecessary for primarily gaming and streaming? i wouldnt mind cutting this $1700 price down a bit, but i can also afford it or something slightly pricier if the performance jump is worth the extra cash

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

grack posted:

The 7800X3D is the best gaming CPU on the market right now, end stop. It also draws a shitload less power than the 14700K and can be cooled easily using a much cheaper air cooler.

Also, the Phenom 2 line was discontinued in 2012. Driver issues with a chip that's been out of production for well over a decade isn't relevant to modern computer building.

Yeah I get that, but on nearly every game/gaming subreddit and forum you see people posting about driver issues or having to computer janitor their poo poo , so obviously there’s still some driver issues that I don’t feel like dealing with when Intel has never had that issue lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

YerDa Zabam posted:

maybe they are dumb fucks who are full of poo poo?

go intel by all means if it makes you happy of course lol

I mean, for you to feel this strongly about it, what’s the hubbub? Is there a comparison somewhere I can check out to see if I’m willing to risk trying AMD after they lost me all that time ago? How much more performant are we talking here?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I appreciate the feedback everyone! imma have to check it out more and watch those videos wibla posted. The power consumption diff is pretty nuts, and yeah the amd drivers being baked into linux are both super compelling alone so you’ve definitely given me food for thought

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Oh I forgot to ask, for the 7800X3D what’s the thread recommended mobo? I used to trust ASUS and their ROG stuff, and I used to strongly distrust MSi but obviously things have changed since Google is telling me the MSi Mag B650 Tomahawk is the best, and it’s under $200 compared to the $480 Intel ASUS board

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Thanks again for steering me to the 7800x3d, folks! I was hesitant at first, but then I saw it’ll save me $400-$500 and yeah that’s an easy call at that point. Also the microcenter bundles are great, and it looks like they have a bunch of sales so that my PCPP shows $1300 but my microcenter cart shows $1174 :toot:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’d imagine you don’t need 9 fans given that the one in your cart is a 3 pack

Edit: 7 fans?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Eh, rgb is like the one thing you can go nuts customising without being a greybeard grognard. Let the people’s rooms glow pink

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Appreciate it. And it doesn't come across as snarky. I tend to get a bit overwhelmed in megathreads as there are often five different conversations talking past each other. I'll do some more digging.

Branch Nvidian posted:

Okay, here we go,

Get this CPU/RAM/Mobo bundle from Micro Center for $499.99, it saves around $185 per system. https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle
You have enough budget overhead to fit in a 4080 Super, which is actually going to put you more at an 8-9/10 performance wise. You can save a little cash by dropping to the Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti SUPER.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($499.99)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($33.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($166.90 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac GAMING Trinity GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER 16 GB Video Card ($999.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.97 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1930.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-04-14 21:19 EDT-0400

This build in particular should keep you happy for like 5-8 years

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

What??

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Upsidads posted:

its 2024 and I cant find any new contenders for case as loving ugly and stupid as the coolermaster shoe

I am currently using a Coolermaster Stryker, if you’d like to :barf:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I’m not super confident at how the Mac mini would do unless the software was Mac native and like fine tuned with metal and stuff, but if you can get away with it then it’s a no brainer. macOS is very pleasant to work with every day.

I have a top spec m1 mbp for work, and no matter what I throw at it, it gets the job done quickly and impressively quietly. I haven’t kept up with the specs enough to know how the m1 with 64GB ram fares against the M3’s with the same ram, but that’d be something you could dig into

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 26, 2024

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Anyone have any suggestions for my brother, who currently has I believe a 600w gpu, a GTX 960, and a ryzen 3? That’s probably 5 years old. He has a budget of $400, and my first idea was getting a 3070ti ftw3 or a 4060 ti/4070ti as a stretch, then hopefully he can start saving up for a microcenter cpu bundle when the next series of chipsets come out. I’d imagine that a beefier card will make up for the lack of CPU a lot more than a 7800x3d bundle would with a 960, but I’m still pretty out of the loop on some of this stuff

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

E I can’t read

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Babby Formed posted:

Depends on the games he plays and his motherboard but I'd look at replacing the CPU with a 5600 after a motherboard BIOS update and then grabbing the best used card you could find for the other 280. It's close to 2080ti territory if you could go like 40 bucks over, if not 2080 or used 6700xt.

He wants to play Gray Zone, currently we play PUBG, Squad, Overwatch, and sometimes HLL. My coworker told me that GZ roasts his 2070, and I think the min is a 1080, but I’m not sure what the generation gaps are nowadays. I’m assuming a 4070ti performs as good or better than a 3080ti nowadays, for instance, but idk what metrics to judge by and I don’t have the attention span for YouTubers lol

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Splashing out for a 4070 Ti doesn't seem like the play, he won't be able to make good use of it until he upgrades the rest of his system and also his monitor (assuming he's still at 1080p). It's also only a little bit better than the 4070 Super while costing ~$140 more currently, so it's a poor value proposition. The 4070 Ti Super would be a better splash-out option than the regular 4070 Ti because at least you get some extra VRAM with it.

By "Ryzen 3" do you mean a 3000-series chip, or a four-core "Ryzen 3" chip (3300, for instance). If it's a 3600 or better, I'd hold off on doing an interim upgrade to a 5600 and just buy a used $400 card. You can grab a 3080 off ebay for that much. If it's one of the old quad-core Ryzens, then maybe you should upgrade that right away and get a more midrange card. Definitely don't get a 4070-class card with that type of CPU.

I asked him to get me the exact model, but I remember we had looked it up before and I remember my heart sinking a little when I was expecting a Ryzen 5 and it said Ryzen 3 lol.

Any suggestions for a mobo for a 5600 if it turns out to be a quad core? Probably a card too. Looking at FB marketplace, used 3060s are $200-300, and 2070s/2080s aren’t far behind that. There wasn’t much of a jump between the 10 series and the 20 series, was there?

SpaceDrake posted:

I agree with DVG re: CPU, but it's worth noting/emphasizing that the GPU upgrade is fairly important if brother has a GTX 960. That isn't "five years old", that specific card is nine and a half years old and it's the budget variation of an architecture that turns ten this September. It can barely keep up with the official DX12 requirements. If you want to play anything more graphically intense than a cross-generation game (like Elden Ring or Armored Core 6), a GPU upgrade is going to be nearly required.

It looks like Gray Zone wants an 8GB card, so you're looking at something like a Radeon RX 6650XT at a minimum for a viable upgrade. The GTX 960 is genuinely inadequate to run the game, going by the specs, and they really emphasize the desire for 8GB of VRAM at a minimum.

Ah yeah the build was a cheap build five years ago. Our buddy upgraded and gave my brother the PC. He gave it a go since he never got into gaming but always tried with like consoles and not PC, and he’s really into it now. I was streaming squad for him to watch while he ate or something and it occurred to him that I’m not better at games than him, he just can’t see as much detail lmao

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If I were in that position, I’d probably get a 15” MBP just so I have mobility if for some reason I need to take a client call while at a conference or something. Maybe a fancier camera, or you could use that new feature to use your iPhone camera instead of the built in one.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/chipsets/am4.html

Tell us exactly what he has on all fronts. It's pretty hard to offer useful advice on a 400 dollar budget and unknown hardware.

Ok finally got some updates back from him. Good news and bad news

Good news: he’s upped the budget to $650

Bad news: his current cpu is a Ryzen 3 1200, and his PSU is only 500w :negative:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Moving from the US to the EU. I believe all hardware is compatible (with the possible exception of the power supply, but it's 2024, so I'd be stunned if I managed to purchase something that both didn't automatically handle voltage and didn't have one of those little red buttons I vividly remember)

I don't live near a MicroCenter, but I'll be visiting family 20 miles from one the week before I move. There's no reason not to take advantage, right? No trouble with using hardware from the wrong continent?

When I moved I just had to get a new PSU to wall plug, I think

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Babby Formed posted:

Would look at something like this, the CPU upgrade is going to be insane in literally every game he plays and the 2080ti is good now and overclocks like a champ if he ever wants to go for it. I see a few on ebay for 300 buy it now it shouldn't be that bad to find one.

Did you get a motherboard model? Just to be sure the upgrade is a thing he can do?

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($229.00 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Assassin King 120 Mini WHITE ARGB V3 64.87 CFM CPU Cooler ($18.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte GAMING OC GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB Video Card ($300.00)
Power Supply: MSI MAG A750GL PCIE5 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Total: $636.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-05-07 00:26 EDT-0400

Thank you! He couldn’t figure out what board he has, but I’m willing to bet it’s ancient and needs to be replaced. I’m assuming that if the mobo needs to be replaced we just swap the 5700x3d with a 5600 and a board and it’ll be roughly the same price, eh?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Branch Nvidian posted:

If he's using Windows he can open the System Information menu (just search "System Information" from Start) and it'll have the BaseBoard Manufacturer, Product, and Version listed.

Thank you!!

https://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/b450%20pro4/index.asp#Specification

This is his board. Spec sheet says it supports the 5000 series, so I think we can do a 5600 or a 5700x3D?

Worst case looks like a pretty good bundle deal: https://www.microcenter.com/product...er-build-bundle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Babby Formed posted:

This is honestly a much better board than I expected him to have and you're totally fine.

:toot:

Also all of this was for naught because I guess his buddy dropped by and gave him his old 5600 and a 650w PSU lol. So now he has plenty of cash to throw at a GPU, though I’d imagine he may need a higher wattage PSU for the newer ones. I’ll plug his part list into pcpp and see what it looks like

Thanks again for all the help, folks!