Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Question about budget builds, and budget CPUs. What are the best couple CPU choices under say $210?

I'm in the US, looking to replace an i5 2500k rig from 2012. It's been having a couple issues lately, and I figured 9 years is pushing my luck. But looking for either a budget build (that friends may put together - they built my last one) or may go for a prebuilt etc. Either way, I'd like the total to be under say $850 before tax. Including hard drives etc and $110 for Windows, but can leave the GPU out for now and use my old 970.

I have no complaints about the speed of the i5 2500k, and I'm looking to be frugal. I don't need a current or future proof gaming PC, and this could be an interim rig for a few years. So wanna go intentionally mediocre for gaming, but smooth for multitasking, web browsing, futureproof only for playing 4K video files or whatever.

So on budget CPUs, is the i5 10400 as good a deal as it seems? I look at it vs 2500k on that user benchmarks site, and it says it's a lot better. And the price is superb. Plus it has an iGPU they say is good for video etc. Says it's 17% faster effectively, and ranked 68th instead of 237th. I'm open to AMD options as well.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-2500K-vs-Intel-Core-i5-10400/619vs4073

When I showed that to friend they were razzing me, and wanted to put a $300 Ryzen in there. Which is fun, but I tell ya, I just like the idea of beating a topnotch PC from 9 years ago with a bargain bin price. And I'd go from 8gb to 16GB of ram, up my 64GB SSD to 256 or 512, and 4TB of storage. So with those, a decent name-brand power supply, good air cooling, simple case, a reliable motherboard, can that be done under $850?

Don't need an exact build or anything, but if similar sample builds are around or you dig messing with the part picker, I'd be curious to see. And also thoughts on budget CPUs and budget to mid-range parts in general. Since understandably everybody says not to go with a Dell or HP etc, but it feels like they can cram a lot of value into the the 900 or under range. Though if they fail I know it's a pain. Just messing with part picker, it seems tough to make a cheap but good PC, with my preferred storage and ram etc, to the layman here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

I love the i5 2500K so much and always love hearing about it still running :)

I started a build around a Ryzen 5 3600, but then I realized I don't know if you have a discrete graphics card. So, I assumed you did not have one and switched to the i5-10400 and came up well under your $850 budget. I have to admit I don't know what would be a good CPU cooler and motherboard, but these should be decent and work well for you.

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks, that rocks, much appreciated! Just messed with it a bit (I don't know what I'm doing), tentatively an Asrock motherboard since a friend likes that brand, and a Corsair case. That just raises it from $728.92 to $752.93. And adding Windows 10 makes it $861.71. Also that particular power supply is $110 from newegg, the lower price is just from an Amazon reseller (maybe no warranty?). So if I went with that one from a usual seller, that'd make the total about $912.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Lupin3TMNTPizza/saved/RWxdHx

Which is very cool. Still not cheap exactly, but good to know. And might just make this or similar an idea to go with. I could get a comparable setup from Dell or HP for that price (with their support "best price" deals etc), just with 2TB instead of 4TB, and they throw in a 1650 Super etc. Granted, they'd have those less quality proprietary parts. Just interesting to note that it seems while you could build a better quality one, it doesn't seem to get much cheaper than those companies for similar specs.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 13, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That all sounds cool to me. Thanks!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks! That's all good to know, good stuff.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, if you ever played with legos or tinker toys (or think you could) you can build a pc, just watch a youtube video. Even Henry Cavil can do it!

The more times I hear this lego thing, the more I'm gonna buy a console, and buy the latest port of RE4! Even though I own it on steam!

(this is a joke folks, I would never do that. The steam copy is good. But I did play Witcher 3 on PS4.)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

something like a HTPC, but those are dead now.

I was just looking into those a little lately, interesting to hear they came and went. I myself still just use my desktop PC as my main media thing, hooked up to my TV with hdmi. But for alternatives I like the idea of a home theater PC, doesn't need to be tiny but that is a fun thought. Like a raspberry pi that has enough power to run Windows10 or something.

Some of my friends have plex servers, but for me I mainly just like having stuff right off my computer. Plus I do a lot of web browsing on my TV.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I can say for me personally, it doesn't need to be small, but I like the idea of a good home theater PC as an alternative to buying a new gaming ready expensive rig. When really, all I want is smooth video playback and web browsing. Plus my TV is my main monitor lately anyway.

And android is cool and all, I've got the phone and tablet going there, I just need Windows to live on. I don't want it all in one android basket, plus it seems like Windows is always better for playing back the latest greatest huge new video files. If we drop a single frame from the 30gb Return of the Jedi mkv, that is a tragedy.

I want them to make the Sony WindowsBox for 500 dollars, I could put it next to my other stations and the Dreamcast.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jun 16, 2021

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I forgot to mention, well I mentioned a page or two back, I'm not a builder. I'm a wayward computer sailor just looking for a port here. But it's interesting to hear about all that stuff. Plus my friends are in consideration for building me another PC sometime, but I might get a prebuild for various reasons. So I'm just going computer crazy after a few days of looking at all sorts of numbers and stats and deals and stuff online.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That reminds me, Snoop Dogg is still doing good stuff! Bootsy Collins has a good new single featuring Snoop. I wonder what the Doggfather is doing tech wise. I'm sure he has some high end stuff.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Have you looked at intel NUCs?

I've been curious about those, it looks like a lot are discontinued, and ones that work well as a Windows PC might be on the pricier side etc. Cool idea though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hell yeah