Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

ndnikola posted:

Hello goon world,

Thinking of purchasing a pre-build PC mainly for gaming (COD warzone) and perhaps entertainment (streaming films etc) - ideally this would last me at least a couple of years without the need for a major refurbishment / upgrade. My current gaming rig is a base PS4, so hoping for a reasonable upgrade to at least my gaming FPS and experience.

Have my eyes on this one in particular, any thoughts?

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...x-3070/15397183

Note that I am in Canada (QC) and would rather go for a pre-build than parts unless there is a considerable price differential. Also this price is probably the most I would like to spend at the moment.

Thanks in advance!

I fixed your link:

https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...x-3070/15397183

I live in the US so I have no idea how moonies work, I'll let someone else answer on that - but with a 3070 you should be good for a few years as long as you stick to 1080p/1440p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Holy poo poo I was just looking at the GPU and ram size, not the actual components :stare:

Yeah don't get that.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Building a PC isn't really delicate work - Half the time it feels like I'm bending metal and just stuffing things in hoping it won't rub up against a fan.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
What resolution? I've been rocking a Gigabyte G27Q (1440p) and it's been excellent.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
sometimes i stare at the pc building simulator listing on steam, wondering if i should open this door

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Xander77 posted:

Last time I asked, I was heavily recommended not to buy anything off AliExpress. Did it suddenly become more reliable over the last two years?

I do work on this computer, but it's basically all word and wordpress, nothing that meaningfully taxes its capabilities. The slowest program involved is outlook.

Ostensibly, this is a gaming PC, but I barely had time to play twenty games over the past year (and half of them were literally Diner Dash clones). I re-prioritized a slight down upgrade (i.e, finally installing windows 10 \ getting an SSD that would allow me to do so) upon being unable to play the Rome Total War remaster.

The most taxing games that I might play soon - Mankind Divided, rear end Creed Origins, Yakuza Kiwami. The highlights of 3 4 years ago. Don't particularly care about Ultra lux graphics.

You might want to pick up a used i7 like a 4790, the extra threads will help out a lot and they shouldn't be too expensive.

And upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM

Kunabomber fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 17, 2021

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah, that's why I suggested the 4790, it's a decent upgrade without breaking the bank, and I don't know how tight his money situation is - if he's thinking 1660 Ti I wouldn't expect a complete system re-build is in the cards. Just the CPU upgrade alone with a 1660 Ti should let him play most modern games at or near 1080p60 on medium-high settings.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Target Practice posted:

This is a weird question, but I already have a 2080 I can drop into whatever system. Is there a pre-built option where I can select a "no gpu" option?

What's wrong with buying the pre-built and selling the GPU? It's not like it'll be difficult to get rid of.

Edit: or just use the GPU and sell the 2080, if the GPU is at or above the level of a 2080.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Might be able to make it work with noctua's slim fans too.