Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I've only built two PCs but I can already say that picking out the parts and building the PC is more fun than actually using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah modern SSDs should be more durable. But your Seagate should have something like a 5 year warranty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe just buy a regular atx power supply and return the small one. They are cheaper too.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The price on it flucuates a lot. It was $200 even recently.

https://camelcamelcamel.com/product/B08K4NP5DQ?context=search

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Rascar Capac posted:

I'm looking to change the 750GB HDD in my laptop for a 1TB SSD. Is there any reason I shouldn't go with the Crucial MX500?

Which laptop do you have? It might support NVME drives which are faster than the MX500, though most people can't really tell the difference in speed. But there's almost no price difference between the two these days so might as well buy the faster one.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Well I have the MX500 in my gaming desktop since 2019 and it's been a champ.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The only difficult thing to buy right now is the graphics card. Everything else sells for msrp or cheaper.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

tarbrush posted:

Presumably testing the mobo with the CPU but without the heatsink installed won't be enough to cook the chip?

Where did you buy the mobo? Unless it was at some abandoned electronic store doing a firesale before closing down it will have the latest BIOS.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Saukkis posted:

How is one supposed to survive if they are clueless about computers. Where do you start looking for the info and what is the minimum amount of research you need to get good results. Just now I did a Google search "good gaming computer". The first was a PCGamer article "The best gaming PC in 2021". You open the article and see the title picture, "Oh hey, isn't that the AlienWare Ryzen that Tech Jesus did the horror video just week a go". If the computer magazines are in on the scam the normal people have no chance.

I just praise the lord that I have been a computer professional for two and half decades and computer hobbyist, dreamer and magazine reader for three and a half. Computers are so complicated and so important in most people's lifes that how can they go on living without at least this level of information. I shed a tear every time someone shows up that didn't know you need to unplug every secondary drive before installing Windows.

A lot of the $1200+ gaming laptops are pretty decent with good performance. And they seem to be built pretty well. If I wasn't going to build a desktop I'd get a gaming laptop like the Lenovo Legion and suggest others do it as well. I don't really trust any big companies to make a desktop.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When did you buy the motherboard? It probably has the bios update already if you bought it this year.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

pisshead posted:

Haven't bought it yet, it was on the list on pcpartpicker but it throws up a warning.

I would get a B550 board instead then. They are usually cheaper and functionally the same. As a bonus they don't have a tiny fan on them like the 570.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You're fine. Just remember to enable xmp/docp in the BIOS to get the full RAM speed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Aren't PSUs like RAM where two companies manufacture them for the whole world

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What are you trying to add that won't fit? Hard drives?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Seeing as how the only games I play right now are Dead Cells or visual novels like Ace Attorney I think I'm just getting a steam deck to ride it out until video cards madness is over.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Do you need a lot of hard drive slots? Because the Meshify 2 is a relatively huge case meant to house like 8 drives. Most people are happy with the Meshify 2 Compact.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

99% of people in this thread are getting the Ryzen 5600x and a B550 board. The MSI MAG B550M would be a fine choice.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

If you want a good place to start the b550m pro vdh wifi is like $100 and well reviewed.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

lol is that EVGA Geforce FTW literally named after "for the win"

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Windows is like 99% functionctional without any key as well. If you don't care about changing your desktop background the free one works fine.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's really no reason to use Windows 11 right now unless you're into schadenfreude. Just wait a year while the kinks get worked out.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I need the GTX 5000 to play my walking simulators in 4k with ray tracing. Firewatch never looked better.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What games are people even playing with these $1500 graphics cards. I thought everyone hated Cyberpunk.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The first generation Steam Deck is going to have all kinds of problems. And Valve doesn't have a good history with hardware and seem to give up on everything. I'm really excited about it but I'd wait until people have owned them a while.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The H510 is a good case that's worth $70 or so. Not the best airflow and I'd rather get the Corsair but it's not bad.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Building the first time is not easy even if you watched 5 hours of Youtube tutorials like I did. It probably took me half a day to get mine up and running because I was nervous about the tiny wires and I had trouble with some screws on the motherboard. But my second build only took like 90 minutes and it's way easier now.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Hey I haven't kept up with PC parts for a long time. Is there anything cool around the corner or is now a good time to build a ~$1,000 desktop?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like the case a lot but the negative pressure means dust city. Not that big of a deal but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I built my first PC in 2019 thanks to this thread and it's still running great. Haven't had any issues in like three years and it still runs practically silently. I am thinking about building another PC now but only because I'm bored and want something new. I could honestly use this for another 10 years if it lasts that long.