Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I like how you can't change to a 3080 until you bump the CPU up to a 5900x. I mean, it's just another version of what NewEgg does with the bundles. Car companies do similar poo poo, it's not a remotely new idea, I'm just so triggered by all these scams after the last year.

Edit - Not speaking to the value of the build, just the fact that they will only sell you a 3080 if you pair it with a ridiculous CPU.

RVT fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jun 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Been trying to do a full build for months, but until that actually happens, still rocking a 2500k.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
What's a decent bracket I can buy to support a 3080? Ordered a computer from cyberpower in April and it finally arrived, right as supply started improving, but whatever I guess. They put an EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra in it, and it has the most massive cooler I've ever seen on a video card. When I took the foam out, it sagged a little, so I want to put some support under it.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Isn’t that a double-slot card? Do the screws on the back panel not hold it in place?

It is, but I pulled the foam out and it immediately started sagging and just looks really heavy. I guess I don't know how much sag is too much. I've never had an expensive/large video card before, I think the last two were a ATI 5770 and then my 1060, so GPU sag is a new thing for me.

CoolCab posted:

i think i used a plastic bottlecap that happened to be the right size...

What now?

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
Don't ever buy anything from CyberPower. If everything arrives perfectly functional (and you don't mind paying 50% over what the parts cost), then I guess great. If it doesn't then you will deeply regret that decision. They do not test anything before they ship it out.

You'd never see it before you placed an order, but they say "all components individually tested, system not tested". After dealing with them and the system they provided, I doubt even this sad assurance is true. It is also telling that their support FAQ is littered with "What do I do if computer doesn't POST? What do I do if I can't get into Windows? What do I do if everything crashes all the time?"

I assume all the SIs are the same in this regard, but this is my experience. I would have never ordered anything with them if things weren't the way they were. But trying to get a new GPU, and needing a new CPU/PSU/everything around it, I went ahead and ordered from them. Over the last week I have realized what a mistake that was.