Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Mr.Fuzzywig posted:

This is what ive got right now, will try and reuse the ram i have. I saw in a previous post you reccomended CL30 ram for this cpu? how cruical is it to have that timing?

I might be misunderstanding, but if you're coming from a 5600x you're going to need to buy ddr5 ram, the ddr4 you would have been using isn't compatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

DrSunshine posted:

Hi thread! I want to build a nice gaming PC for playing Homeworld 3 with ray tracing on. :shobon:

What country are you in? USA
Do you live near Microcenter? No
What are you using the system for? Gaming.
What's your budget? About $2k
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920x1080, thinking about upgrading to a 2k monitor though. I'm allotting budget for that as an option, but my desk space is a little limited so I might not.

I've picked out parts already, please tell me if this is reasonable or not: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NPHbVW

Context - I'm mainly a simulation/tycoon/strategy game player, which I've heard are more CPU intense. However, like I mentioned above, I occasionally want to dip into prettier graphics games.

The 4070 super releases on the 16th, it would be worth waiting and seeing if you can snag one of those for the same price, or a little less ($599 rrp) as it should be a decent improvement. The standard 4070 is also dropping it's price by $50 at the same time, so either way you should be able to save some money or pick up something better for the same amount.

The 7800x3d is absolutely fine with a decent air cooler if you wanted to save some money there, something like the Peerless Assassin 120 would handle it.

You should be able to pick up some 6000mhz cl40 ram for a similar price, but I haven't gone and checked QVL or anything.

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

I chucked one in my old system fairly recently, and didn't have any difficulty getting it mounted on my 3600. I can't remember the last time I used anything except a stock cpu cooler and I was pretty impressed with how relatively effortless it was to install.