Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

change my name posted:

Perhaps a dumb question, but if I put together a gaming PC for my GF, could it also pull double duty as the house NAS if the accessible drives are kept wholly separate from the Windows OS and games/anything run locally?

Possibly? I think the biggest hurdle you have is when the "nas" needs a little care and feeding and your GF wants to use the computer. Who wins? Not saying it can't work (Zero VGS is an example) but just need to understand you might have a broken NAS while your GF plays some video games. Worst case nothing says you can't use the gaming PC and then buy another machine to pull NAS duty, which outside of Plex transcoding doesn't take much horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Alehkhs posted:

I'm looking for advice on two separate builds (here referred to Build A and Build B) and am completely out-of-touch with the current scene:

I actually have this exact same requirement if anyone is able to help out Alehkhs, one suped up 4090 :homebrew: and one that just needs an update and play less demanding games.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Is there any difference between using a single 4 TB SSD vs a 2 x 2 TB setup

Big advantage of getting the 4tb when you fill it up and buy another 4 TB drive you get 4tb of space and not 2. This assumes 2 2 tb drives is about the same price as a single 4tb.