Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk
Picked up the micro center bundle with:
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Gigabyte B650 Gaming X AX v2
G.Skill Flare X5 Series 32GB DDR5-6000 Kit

Is the exploding CPU fiasco discovered early last year still an issue? Do I need to update the bios in a particular way? I'm a bit confused since there are these warnings to not update bios unless one has to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

Did you misread my original post or something? I said it doesn't fall apart at 4K like it does at lower resolutions but the difference is still noticeable (and for 40% of the games at 4K quality, he had it in "noticeably better" tier or above). Your entire rant here is about me saying it falls apart at 4K when I literally said it didn't, but the video doesn't say they are equivalent.

The point was just that someone said "if you don't care about RT, AMD is the same" but if you're buying a GPU and always turning on upscaling you're getting lower picture quality at the same performance level with AMD.

What you wrote was that, "FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark". Though couched with "not as much", you are still saying that it does fall apart. And there's this follow-up chart where DLSS totally dominates, and a firm re-positioning that the language of "falls apart" is justified. So what is the stark difference? Like let's say DLSS whatever version is ~95% as good as native 4K — what would FSR's percentage be? And given that difference, would that overcome the rasterization & VRAM value that AMD provides that even gets one's foot in the door of 4K?

BurritoJustice posted:

The original poster was, in fact, someone who was going to need it all the time in 4K.

OP's proposed build was a 7800XT paired with a 7800X3D — from what i can tell from benchmarks, they can get 4K @ 60FPS natively from a bunch of the newest titles.

I'm not trying to be snarky, as I'm genuinely curious for peoples' take. I'm still thriving off of my 1070 card while having upgraded everything else, and had always thought 4K to be too extravagant.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Unlucky7 posted:

Well, I am not looking to have everything maxxed; like high settings are nice but I am not looking for ultra settings, and I am not above lowering some stuff.

I am currently playing Dragons Dogma 2, which kind of prompted the CPU upgrade (which was already kind of struggling with Alan Wake 2, so it is not the sole reason, and I still think it was time for an upgrade), and while it is a great game with obvious technical issues that can't be fixed with better hardware, I am mostly getting around 60 fps, and everything else I do not have trouble running, even before the CPU hike.

I get that the 3070 will likely be the bottleneck from here on out though.

The big issue is that this generation's set of cards have pretty bad value, and your current card is still drat good. From what you've described, I'd wait and see for the next generation. For Alan wake 2, try looking into the fsr3 mods to add frame Gen support for your card.