Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Fellatio del Toro posted:

can you split the fans/radiator and mount one behind the mesh?

ie:

Never put the radiator tube inlet/outlet hose connections on top in the vertical orientation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thought I'd post this here since I wasn't sure where else.

I ordered a Asrock B550 Taichi from Newegg, and when it arrived, I noticed it had a barcode label on it with a handwritten serial #. The hand written # matches the serial # from Asrock.

When I opened it up, inside it looks ok, but the paper materials that came packed inside have some bent corners, and a little folder with materials inside, wasn't properly sealed closed, i.e. the flaps were opposite you'd expect.

All of it makes me suspicious that it was a prior return that they then shipped out to me, as "New". It doesn't necessarily look like it was used at all, but it still bothers me if they sent me a prior return/open box. Anyone have any experience with Newegg and labels with handwritten info on them?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Was the bag around the board sealed? They typically are, but not always.

What’s under the barcode? It might be a box swap, which would make me absolutely not trust it. If the barcode underneath is like a number off it should be fine.

There wasn't a bag around the board, but Asrock used one of those boxes that opens to display the motherboard, so I'm not sure a bag would have been there. The main heatsink near the I/O panel, had plastic wrap on it, but none of the others did, which seemed strange?

Here's a picture for reference. Black squiggles are obviously the current serial #. This barcode label appears to have been put on by Newegg? I did what you said and pulled back the written part some, and sure enough, the original printed Serial # is different from what the box's UPC label showed for the Serial #. To me, it almost looks like they printed the label for another box, realized they'd had the wrong serial #, then just put a handwritten one over it.

It's just hard to tell if this was just a warehouse tracking label, or if it had been a processed returned or something.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Twerk from Home posted:

Where can I buy some DDR3 cheaply? Is ebay the best option? I'd like to toss some more RAM in a sandy bridge machine, ideally DDR3-1866 or faster.

I may have some that you could have for free, if you can wait until the weekend for me to check.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes. Generally fan headers are rated for 1A and standard 12cm fans take ~0.14A.

The key item isn't normal operating load, but rather the inrush current. There are some fan models that easily blew past 0.5A on inrush.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

This is a few pages back, but I'm going to put my (obnoxious) engineer's hat on, because fluid mechanics is what I actually do (and geek out about)...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And if both fans spin in the same direction, the pressure doesn't increase, but the second fan does help maintain good airflow across the length of the heatsink.

If you have two fans spinning in the same direction and aligned on center and sharing an upstream/downstream flow path, such as a push-pull radiator, tower cooler, etc., then you will see an increase in pressure at the lesser of the two fan's flowrates at the same point along their pressure-flow curves.

For a completely made up example: If Fan 1 can do 50 scfm at 1 mm Hg, and Fan 2 can do 50 scfm at 1.3 mm Hg, then you would (ideally) see 2.3 mm Hg, but because flow streams can resist themselves some and there's some inefficiency in "staging" flow generation, you won't get to 2.3 mm Hg. But it will still be quite a bit more than the original single fan's 1 mm Hg.

It gets funkier when you have fans (or pumps, etc.) that have different air flows at pressure rates, because then the cumulative effect depends on the orientation of the layout, and you could see either even more pressure for a given air flow, or possibly even slightly more flow than the lowest fan's speed with a bump in pressure.

It's a similar idea to putting a second pump in a water loop. It won't add to the pressure, but it can help maintain flow if the loop is especially long.

The second pump, if in series with the first pump, will add head ("pressure", see above) for a given flow rate, which helps to overcome the friction losses in the long(er) tubing. If the pumps are somehow in parallel configuration, then you'll see an increase in flow but not much change in pressure.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is there any Goon Network for Microcenter hardware purchases? Seeing their current processor discounts but not having one close sucks.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

FSR doesn't fall apart as much at 4K but the difference is still stark.

Got some sources to justify this statement? Or is it just anecdotal. Because the past comparisons by the likes of DF, etc, were all pretty neutral at 4K outside of subjective eye testing. For pure upscaling of rasterized performance, I’d not be so quick to say this, and I’d probably say that using the language of “fall apart” as a baseline to describe FSR projects inherent bias.

If someone wants to use path tracing or such, then yeah, it’ll absolutely make a difference.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

BurritoJustice posted:

What other type of testing is there for upscaling? There is no objective measure you can use for upscaled image quality.

But yes, the difference is still noticeable at 4K Quality and very noticeable at 4K Performance.

In 26 games, FSR was only similar in four at 4K Quality and one at 4K Performance. At 1440P, which the OP is now going with, the difference is massive.

Let’s actually link to the video you pulled that chart from, shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WM_w7TBbj0

So to the benefit of those who aren’t BurritoJustice, they basically say that at 4K Quality, the difference between FSR 2 and DLSS 2 (at the time the video was produced) was not significant enough to get fussed over; if you an nvidia card already of course use DLSS, if you have are looking at cards and want to play in 4K, then it’ll depend on what type of games you play, because rasterization-heavy gaming with occasional FSR use wouldn’t probably justify going nvidia over AMD if you can get an otherwise faster or equal card or one with more VRAM, for same or lower pricing.

I would also say that’s usually now XeSS would be the superior option to FSR, but even AMD cards can benefit from it over FSR in games since Intel doesn’t completely lock out competing cards.

I’m also probably one of the few posters here who actually has both AMD and Nvidia cards and using both; I’ll always prefer DLSS but FSR is fine if someone doesn’t need it all the time in 4K.

If someone watched the above video the chart is pulled from and was interested in 4K Quality mode, “falling apart” is not the description I’d probably take away from it unless I’m inherently biased (to the negative of the thread).

BurritoJustice posted:

FSR2 is literally the worst modern TAAU solution, if it doesn't justify that language then nothing else does.

Again, share some of the most recent comparisons for why even XeSS is better in many games now (it is), because I don’t disagree that it’s the least performant.

But again, can an AMD card meet the needs of someone on a budget or who wants to get into higher resolution gaming but can’t afford a 4070 Ti or higher, given 4K high-refresh panels are so cheap now, and especially since XeSS is an available option also.

FSR2 absolutely falls apart when upscaling from very low internal resolutions.

100% agree, but upscaling from say 1440p to 4K isn’t that.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

I might be operating on a false assumption just from watching too many gpu reviews where DLSS in cyberpunk is a pretty common test. But aren't there a lot of games where you need FSR/DLSS at 4k to get good framerates? Which AMD cards do you anticipate only needing to use FSR "sometimes"? I feel like people recommend AMD for the more budget end of cards and those must surely need to rely on FSR here right?

Personally, there are some games I play where to get a good 4K experience, I absolutely need DLSS given the settings I want to use, etc., especially for high frame rate gaming. But if I don’t care about RT in a game for whatever reason, and just want a smooth experience with VRR helping, there are plenty of games that I can easily hit 60+ FPS in 4K without DLSS or FSR. Most aren’t recent AAA titles, but I don’t care.

Just as one example, at 4K and most settings high/maxed out, I was getting 60+ fps on both my old 3080 and my 6900 XT in D4 (but without the high resolution textures add-on); with DLSS, the 3080 was probably around 10% faster than the 6900 XT as I tried to crank it up to closer to 165 fps. The game was smoother, but I could have happily played at 60-70 fps without DLSS or FSR. Now granted, D4 doesn’t have RT, but it’s apparently coming next month, though I’m skeptical on how much improvement it can make given Blizzard’s history of add-on improvements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Has anyone here installed/used one of the new Arctic Freezer III AIOs? Just curious since I've seen reports that the pump motor is notably loud as it gets close to 100% speed, and much loader than the prior LF II AIO pumps.