Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

• What country are you in? USA
  • Do you live near Microcenter? No
  • What are you using the system for? Gaming
  • What's your budget? $3,000
  • If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1440p @ 144Hz
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13600K 3.5 GHz 14-Core Processor ($319.91 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 UD AC ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($181.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro w/Heatsink 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($249.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 4070 Ti 12 GB Video Card ($809.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.71 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x (2021) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.97 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($23.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm Fan ($23.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($31.90 @ Amazon)
Total: $2211.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-01-14 20:21 EST-0500

Just looking for a sanity check. Should I bump that power supply up to 1,000 just to be safe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Listerine posted:

Yeah I'm going to fill all 4 slots so I guess I should stick to the QVL then.

RAM compatibility gave me tons of headaches one time so I stick to the motherboard's qualified RAM list like glue now. It helps cut down on choice paralysis too.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Jan 17, 2023

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

kliras posted:

i like noctua's paste, but it's usually a bit too expensive for my taste

I like the way it tastes.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Professor Funk posted:

Woof. Glad I asked, and thanks for confirming my stupidity.

While that's a bad prebuilt I don't think you're stupid for wanting one. It's really, really strange that there aren't good options here. Dell can build perfectly sufficient PCs for every other use case but somehow they can't make a decent gaming PC and apparently neither can anyone else. It don't add up but that's the situation.

Maybe between game consoles for the masses and custom built PCs for enthusiasts there just isn't enough oxygen left in the room for prebuilt gaming PCs?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 15, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Personally I'll never buy another Gigabyte card. The cooling fans were loud as poo poo at every speed.

Never had any problems with any of the MSI cards I've bought though.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Does this look reasonable? I know there are diminishing returns as price goes up, but I'd like to have a system that can max out poo poo. Thanks!

• Believe it or not the Ryzen 7 7800X3D actually performs slightly better than the 7950X3D for gaming. It really is the gaming CPU to get right now.
  • Your RAM isn't on your motherboard's list of supported memory. I strongly suggest you pick something that is if you want to run your memory at it's full speed.
  • I've never heard of Super Flower brand power supplies. Make of that what you will. Edit: vvv Sounds like they're fine.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Feb 18, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Superflower are legit and have been around for ages. Top notch PSU OEM.

Cool. Learned something new.

Edit: Ah, here's why I hadn't heard of them. Super Flower Entering North America PC Power Supply Market

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 18, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I hereby apologize to the fine folks at Super Flower. A thousand pardons.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Prebuilt PCs came up a few pages ago. Here were some recommendations.

Kibner posted:

https://maingear.com/ make good pre-builts and also have great support but you will be paying a premium.

spunkshui posted:

Same with origin pc.

Corsair sells more basic prebuilts on its website.

The main benefit was going with a corsair vs dell is that when you want to upgrade it down the line you don’t have to deal with insane poo poo that Dell does to make upgrades impossible.

Corsair only makes parts that you use to build computers the normal way not the proprietary way so they don’t have any interest in inventing poo poo that makes it hard to upgrade your computer.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

SpaceDrake posted:

About the only thing I'd add is a sanity check on "are you absolutely certain you want a 4090, especially now that it's about a year old, the prices remain high and we may see its direct successor at the end of the year". We don't have a precise timeline for the 5000 series yet, but the 4000s have been out for a bit now. And a 4090 is insane overkill for gaming in any event unless you want to do native-res 4K stuff. You could drop down to a 4070 TI SUPER or 4080 SUPER and save yourself hundreds if you're gaming at 1440p.

Still, that's partially a personal tilt thing, and if you really want tons of excess power and future capability, that's a valid enough reason. Beyond that, yep, looks 100% fine.

There comes a point in every PC gamer's life where they want to see the top of the mountain. Just once.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Have fun play Dwarf Fortress on that thing.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Rashomon posted:

All right, I need some troubleshooting help!

Did you connect the power supply to the CPU power connector on the motherboard? There should be a big power cable connected to the motherboard and then another power cable about half the size.

I missed that one once.

Edit: Looks like on your motherboard they’re labeled ATX and ATX_12V_2X4. They both need power.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 21, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's another troubleshooting step: try taking the RAM stick out of the B slot and see if it will boot with a single stick in the A slot.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

Edit: how do people like the Fractal Design Torrent still? I want a case with good airflow to replace my old corsair 400R and accommodate modern big chungus gpus.

I just did a build with one. It's a big ol case (the biggest I've ever had) and it can be super loud if you turn the fans up full blast. However, you don't need to turn the fans up full blast because they're huge and there are 5 of them. After messing with fan curves I got it to run very cool with the fans at very low RPMs. Now it's actually quieter than my old Fractal Define case.

So, big and loud out of the box. But can be made to run very quiet and cool with some fan curves.

And yes it has a built in GPU kickstand.

Edit: It's also the easiest case I've ever built, mostly due to the roomy interior. Cable routing was just fine (this is on the large model). Built in fan hub. The side panels pop off without tools or thumb screws. It's nicer than my 2015 Fractal Define for whatever that's worth.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 24, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

See this is why I started dual booting Windows and Linux. Boot into Windows for games and then back to Linux for everything else.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Natural 20 posted:

Idiot check on this please:

I think the general consensus is that liquid cooling is overkill for the 7800X3D. Mine runs cool and quiet with an air cooler.

Also I don’t see that RAM on your motherboard’s list of supported memory. Maybe check the manufacturer’s website and pick a set off that list if you want to be sure it will run at full speed out of the box.

Here's a link now that I'm not phone posting anymore: https://rog.asus.com/us/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-b650e-f-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory/

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 28, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Red_Fred posted:

Thank you! Now to find a card.

Micro Center seems to be hoarding new Nvidia cards for in-store purchase only. Like, you can't find them anywhere online but my local store has 18 of them somehow.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i have not built a pc since 2016, so it's time.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dNFBJy
  • I always encourage people to choose memory from the motherboard's list of supported memory so they can be sure it will run at full speed out of the box with no fuss. I don't see that memory on your motherboard's list.
  • They make good air coolers that match your theme but if that other one just speaks to you then spend your money as you see fit.
  • Here are some starting points for keyboards and mice. Something in white with adjustable RGB lighting should do the trick. Though maybe stick to the same manufacturer so one app can adjust both.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 8, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

thanks for the memory tip, i had no idea that was a thing. i'll peruse the officially supported list for one that works.

The way I understand it each memory standard (ddr4, ddr5, etc) has one set speed and anything above that is technically overclocking. So supported memory lists are just memory sticks the manufacturer has tested and confirmed will auto-overclock to their full speed correctly. Different memory may work or could be made to work if you're prepared to fuss around with voltages and what not.

Or that's what I gathered. Would anyone like to gently correct me here?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Pooperscooper posted:

Can you recommend a PC Case that is quiet and looks good maybe like $150-$200?

Pretty much anything from Fractal is a safe bet. Maybe the North for looks or the Torrent for maximum cooling and quiet.

CatelynIsAZombie posted:

What is the opinion of heatsinks on SSDs like the Samsung 990 Pro and the WD SN850X? I'm just buying them for a system drive.

Couldn't hurt.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Chuu posted:

I'm contemplating a very high end build. Will likely contain a 4090 and either something as large as a Liquid Freezer III 360/480mm (38mm thick radiator) or a ridiculously large Noctura NH-D15.

Is there a good case guide to make sure these components will actually fit? Or is it just digging through reviews, forums, and specsheets trying to make an educated guess?

Case manufacturers usually list things like video card clearance and PC Part Picker will check that too. You can also check completed builds on PC Part Picker to see if someone has already built a particular mix of parts.

Or you can just get a full sized Fractal Torrent and be done with it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

I am glad it does, but I am kind of surprised that Microcenter still exists after the pandemic, where Fry’s Electronics is gone. To be fair I thought I heard that the latter already had Problems before the pandemic gave it the knockout punch.

Based on my very limited experience Micro Center's trick is having hot new video cards in stock (in store only) while every website you've ever heard of is sold out.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Fraiser Chain posted:

Taking any comments and suggestions

Your memory is on your motherboard's list of supported RAM. You have my blessing.

Though you've got a top shelf gaming processor paired with a relatively modest video card. Maybe bump er up to some flavor of 4070?

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 27, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

...and my work computer is 30 hz and I deal with it.

I'm sorry, what? How does this happen?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Xenoborg posted:

Thinking of doubling the RAM to 4x16g. Its so cheap compared to what it used to be and I do do a lot of multitasking, but it still might be completly useless...

edit: I've been alerted that 4 sticks of ram can be useless or even harmful to speed based on the CPU having: Memory Channels Supported 2

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor ($357.00 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2 ATX AM5 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL32 Memory ($96.90 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte WINDFORCE OC GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12 GB Video Card ($599.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL III RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($155.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor: AOC U27G3X 27.0" 3840 x 2160 160 Hz Monitor ($489.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2224.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-03-28 17:28 EDT-0400

I recommend picking some memory off this list if you want it to run at full speed out of the box with no fuss.

Unlucky7 posted:

I am currently playing Dragons Dogma 2, which kind of prompted the CPU upgrade (which was already kind of struggling with Alan Wake 2, so it is not the sole reason, and I still think it was time for an upgrade), and while it is a great game with obvious technical issues that can't be fixed with better hardware, I am mostly getting around 60 fps, and everything else I do not have trouble running, even before the CPU hike.

I get that the 3070 will likely be the bottleneck from here on out though.

I have a 4080 Super paired with a 7800X3D and that can't even keep Dragons Dogma 2 north of 60fps full time. I wouldn't throw new hardware at that game. It has deeper technical issues. This isn't a Crysis situation.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 28, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The RMe series from Corsair isn't as bad as the CX series, but it's still a low-cost power supply made with pretty cheap components.

The guy at Microcenter talked me out of an Corsair RMe power supply because he said they were getting lots of returns. I was suspicious but the replacement he suggested was an Asus power supply for the same price so I just rolled with it. Sounds like he did me a favor.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

If it makes you feel better I went down a crazy rabbit hole like this with mice one time. Sometimes you just say gently caress it. I expect better.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

YerDa Zabam posted:

Mystery solved, what a roller coaster of shite it has been. I was even considering returning it all and getting a pre-built at points. lmao

I feel your pain. Some years back I built a PC that had a serious problem and the motherboard ended up being the culprit. But I spent a LOT of time and money figuring that out. Once it was fixed I ended up using that PC for the next 8 years because I was so afraid of going through that again with a new build. Motherboard issues are the worst.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Branch Nvidian posted:

It's funny to me that those are some of the kits with the apparently uv-emitting LEDs that are bleaching GPU backplates

One more reason to hate RGB.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

How are these huge increases in NPU power going to benefit common workflows, like gaming, development, video editing, etc?

Short terms profits will increase. Some other stuff will happen but who cares?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Oh I forgot to ask, for the 7800X3D what’s the thread recommended mobo? I used to trust ASUS and their ROG stuff, and I used to strongly distrust MSi but obviously things have changed since Google is telling me the MSi Mag B650 Tomahawk is the best, and it’s under $200 compared to the $480 Intel ASUS board

I'm old enough that I've been burned by just about every major motherboard manufacturer at this point. I gave Asus another shot with my latest build and it had some gremlins but nothing catastrophic.

Edit: Oh wait, you were asking about Linux earlier so I guess I should elaborate. I'm using a 7800X3D with this ASUS motherboard. I'm dual booting pop OS Linux and Windows 10 on two separate drives because I'm lazy. Boot times were slow for both at first but enabling "memory context restore" in the motherboard settings fixed that. It uses the last known good memory configuration or some such. That was fine for a while until one day the boot times got bad again but only for the Linux drive. There was some sort of USB device that was failing to initialize and making the whole boot process hang for literal minutes. Fast forwarding to the end: the fix was to unplug the PC from power for about 10 seconds. Problem solved. I have no idea why that worked. All my motherboard settings in uefi were still there so it didn't reset to factory settings. I dunno what to make of it.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Apr 14, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

HalloKitty posted:

This one must be the most common thing that pops up time and time again, the advice is always to disconnect other drives when installing Windows. Some say that's overkill, but we see this issue dozens of times a year in these threads

I've seen official Linux installation guides that warn about it. Windows will just help itself to any drives it can reach during installation no matter what's already there.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

That does look pretty nice. I'm a big fan of the direction Asus has been going with their ProArt line.

I ended up getting a stand for my Torrent that has caster wheels and it was a moment of "Why haven't I been doing this all along???" Need to have a look at the back panel? Wheel er out from the wall. Want to roll it into the living room and play games on the big screen one afternoon? Easy.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

How loud does that thing get?

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

:shrug: I just built a new PC with a 2TB drive. But I have fast enough internet that I'm content to delete old games and re-download them as needed.

If you have free m2 slots I would just add an additional SSD as needed. Steam will let you choose the installation drive when you download a game. Samsung and Western Digital drives are a safe bet. Also SATA SSDs are still perfectly sufficient for older games (like from 2019 or earlier).

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 12:12 on May 3, 2024

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Hotel Kpro posted:

Tried ordering some DDR5 RAM from Amazon, got a 16 foot light string instead. Just gonna go to Microcenter at this point to get it

Yeah Amazon is just another eBay at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah you can turn it on. It just uses the last known good memory configuration. If that starts causing problems down the line just turn memory context restore back off and it will re-train the memory again.

This part about DDR5 memory wasn’t obvious to me before hand either.