Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

VideoGames posted:

I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

Froms art team keep getting better. I am in awe with this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

VideoGames posted:

I want to know what is with that floor with the face the character is walking up the ladder away from.

some vulvas and an elephant's trunk iyam

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

some vulvas and an elephant's trunk iyam

George is earning his keep.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I can't imagine any other game where GRRM's involvement makes so much sense but it also so wasted. What are there like two people in the world only interested because Big George is helping?

This could've been in collaboration Henry Kissinger and I'd be throwing a £200 pre-order at them if they asked

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I wonder what the swamp area will be like

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Jokes aside about GRRM actually finishing the GoT books, he is a pretty brilliant writer and world builder. Teamed up with Mr. Miyazaki couldn't get much better.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I like that you are called Tarnished as a noun. Not you have been tarnished, but just Tarnished.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I wonder what the swamp area will be like

Poisonous

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

infraboy posted:

Jokes aside about GRRM actually finishing the GoT books, he is a pretty brilliant writer and world builder. Teamed up with Mr. Miyazaki couldn't get much better.

He is nothing of the sort.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I hope the poisonous swamp area is a big area of bones that slowly drag you under unless you keep moving. Just bones everywhere.

Why so many bones? Just because.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Guildenstern Mother posted:

He is nothing of the sort.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Looks like it has Sekiro's stealth mechanics, adds in horse riding and combat, the weapon summon thing looks cool, really interested to see what other kind of skills they have lined up.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Just checked my watch. Thought it might have suddenly been January 2022. Weird.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
everytime I die unexpectedly I will exclaim 'what in tarnation?!'

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

infraboy posted:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up, she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I wonder what the 'you never die' conceit is...there's this from the site but uh I still don't know what it means.

"And now the guidance of grace will be brought to the Tarnished who were spurned by the grace of gold and exiled from the Lands Between. Ye dead who yet live, your grace long lost, follow the path to the Lands Between beyond the foggy sea to stand before the Elden Ring."

I assume you've been banished to some limbo dimension and found by a firekeeper waifu to....kill everyone

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

OxMan posted:

In Armored Core the real curse that followed humanity all the way to Mars was greed and unchecked capitalism/corporatism.

For the curse of life, was the curse of want.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Sunset found her squatting in the grass, groaning. Every stool was looser than the one before, and smelled fouler. By the time the moon came up, she was making GBS threads brown water. The more she drank the more she shat, but the more she shat, the thirstier she grew.

That passage is great but the thread about the books have broken many of minds

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Currently rewatching the trailer and removing tarnish with vigorous rubbing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I really liked the Song of Ice and Fire books but I've long accepted they're not gonna finish and moved on. People need to stop stewing in years of resentment turning them into weird hate-goblins.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

I seem to recall talk of this being ~open-world, are we still expecting that?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

The trailer does show vast open fields and you have a horse but I don't expect the open world to be massive. It's probably just to get from one area(dungeon) to another with few monsters ala Shadow of the Colossus in between.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

After years of not trying them because I have a pretty low frustration limit, I got super into soulsborne games over the pandemic and have now been condemned to elden ring hype. I really liked the many-armed guy sneering at you as a 'lowly tarnished', will make it very satsifying to eventually murder him.

As for GRRM, I don't really have strong feelings about him one way or the other, but I kinda suspect the extent of his involvement was being given a chunk of money for his name to appear in the marketing and maybe like two pages of notes. That's just me speculating though.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

^Nice to see more people getting into these games.

https://twitter.com/EXDragonith/status/1403140856865955840

This also needs the mushrooms from ds1.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

UrbicaMortis posted:

As for GRRM, I don't really have strong feelings about him one way or the other, but I kinda suspect the extent of his involvement was being given a chunk of money for his name to appear in the marketing and maybe like two pages of notes. That's just me speculating though.
GRRM's contribution was confirmed to be writing all the worldbuilding and background lore stuff, it was detailed in interviews when they announced it. https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/06/21/elden-ring-is-an-evolution-of-dark-souls-says-creator-a-e3-2019 It sounds like he got along well enough with Miyazaki.

Ratios and Tendency posted:

I seem to recall talk of this being ~open-world, are we still expecting that?
yes but it sounds like it's going to be a very FromSoft take on 'open world', Miyazaki discusses this in the interview linked above. the press release says things like "vast fantastical landscapes and shadowy, complex dungeons that are connected seamlessly" and "on a scale never seen before in a FromSoftware title" too. i would expect more "what if Dark Souls had vast fields in it too" etc. more than anything else.

lih fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 11, 2021

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I am kind of bummed that it's also last gen. I get it... but it still stings a little.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

It looks gorgeous op and I don’t give a poo poo. The combat looks like it is going to be amazingly crisp and heavy at the same time.

Just watched the trailer a third time. No tarnish to be found anymore but still rubbing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I have little to no familiarity with this game even with it basically only just being announced but I have no idea how the Game of Thrones guy figures into this. He wrote it? It just looks like more Dark Souls, which to be fair is enough to be worth picking up, but still.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Can you all just loving imagine the VG stream already? How has no one discussed this. We demand calendar accountability. Sorry VG late January/early February is NOW BOOKED.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I have little to no familiarity with this game even with it basically only just being announced but I have no idea how the Game of Thrones guy figures into this. He wrote it? It just looks like more Dark Souls, which to be fair is enough to be worth picking up, but still.

Uh there’s a dragon in it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Firstborn posted:

I am kind of bummed that it's also last gen. I get it... but it still stings a little.
It also has to run on PC anyway so it's not like they could have built it specifically for PS5/XSX's bells and whistles.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I doubt the bar would be as low for PC/PS5/XSX as it is for PC/PS4/PS5/Xbox/XSX. I'll take your word for it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
That trailer had just enough creepy hand imagery that I wonder if it'll be a theme going forward.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Seems to my untrained eye to be heavily inspired by Irish/Celtic mythology.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I am not mad about it being cross gen, imo Fromsoft's games look fine on a technical level but most of the beauty of their games is the aesthetics, atmosphere and art style. That's why Bloodborne is still one of the best looking games just because of the aesthetics.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Pollyanna posted:

it's Dark Souls except open world and this time they got the Game of Thrones guy to write all the background lore stuff that's going to be communicated exclusively through item descriptions

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I would be mad if From DIDN’T make it crossgen. Everyone alive deserves to have access to their games. Regardless of financial ability/discord or Twitter stalking to get a new one capability. I don’t have a doubt that the game will take full advantage of the New gen hardware while also running on old consoles. If it was Ubisoft or some other dev who would just get lazy I’d be worried, but From ain’t that. They will do it right. Everyone will get access to it. That’s good.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

kanonvandekempen posted:

Seems to my untrained eye to be heavily inspired by Irish/Celtic mythology.
Early speculation was Finland's Kalevala:

https://twitter.com/menaslg/status/1137881762447728641?lang=en

(It's a long series of tweets.)

But GRRM, like Tolkien, is a big fan of British/Celtic and Norse mythology in general.

kliras fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 11, 2021

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

One thing I notice is, you all remember that big trailer leak a while back? A ton of footage from that isn’t in this trailer. I wonder if anyone has put the two side by side and see if pieces fit together yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Caidin posted:

That trailer had just enough creepy hand imagery that I wonder if it'll be a theme going forward.
The power of the Lords is in the arms, and the more arms you attach to yourself the more powerful you get.