Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Are the beastie boy incants good without using the talisman? I always found them a bit underwhelming.

The regen buff is good, but the damage ones are a little mediocre I feel, especially given how close range they are.

yeah they lean more into maintaining/dealing poise damage than raw damage but stone especially can hit hard with good enough incantation scaling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's also annoying that talismans are now seals and rings are now talismans. Never gonna get that right in my head.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Aeble posted:

Do you have to invest heavily into faith etc to get any use out of those abilties? It feels wierd to have so many memory slots (and dragon hearts) kicking about with nothing to use them for.

You only have to get to 12 faith to get access to a ton of the good utility incantations. Flame Cleanse, damage negation spells, poison mist/armament, and beastial vitality among others. 15 gets you flame strength. Beyond 15, most incantations you unlock are offensive ones that are more oriented to a faith-first build. Pretty much the only utility incantation beyond 15 faith that you might want is Golden Vow, but that also comes as an Ash of War you can slap on a dagger.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Antioch posted:

I don't like Leyndell. It's unpleasant. That's all.

Leyndell is probably my favorite area. In fact, the whole Altus, Leyndell, and Farum Azula is my favorite segment of the game. From does such a good job, in my opinion, with architecture and making levels that have some sort of sensible progression.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Are the beastie boy incants good without using the beast seal? I always found them a bit underwhelming.

The regen buff is good, but the damage ones are a little mediocre I feel, especially given how close range they are. The seal helps, presumably more if you're str focused, but especially without incant scaling I dunno that I'd use them.

The beast seal has extremely bad scaling (40% strength/40% faith at +0, vs erdtree seal with 89% faith). If you're going full faith, the erdtree seal is better even when factoring the damage buff it gives. Although you can cast with the erdtree seal while holding the beast seal in your offhand and get the best of both worlds. But even then there are better ways to build around full faith. Instead the main use of the beast seal is getting decent incant scaling out of going full strength with minimum faith. It still won't be good enough to be your primary damage dealer, but the beast spells give you some nice added utility by being fast, being ranged, and having good stance damage. You can cast pocket sand in between swings of your big smashy hammer.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 25, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Is there anywhere that gives a clear list of which seals work off which stat? I know I spent most of the game using the beast seal on a dex build and wondering why they were doing no damage, and then there was another post that says how you can ignore the S/A/B scaling table, and now I find out they do different percentages?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Not anywhere online as far as I know, but you can dig into the game files with dsmapstudio and find them.

You can't exactly ignore the scaling grades. An S is always better than an A for that stat, but the grades can cover a large range and a low S might be very close to a high A. Also when comparing scaling for different stats, you also have to take into account soft caps. For example, if you have over 45 arcane with the dragon communion seal, faith will give you better incant scaling than arcane up to 30 even though it has S scaling for arcane and B for faith.

All seals scale with faith to some degree. The golden order seal has equal scaling for int and faith, making it potentially the strongest seal, but you need to invest heavily in both stats. Clawmark seal has weak strength scaling, and the dragon communion seal has strong arcane scaling as mentioned. The frenzied flame seal has weak scaling with str, dex and int but doesn't beat out the golden order seal even if you have 80 in all of those stats.

One day I'll write an effort post on how scaling works, it's complicated.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Is there anywhere that gives a clear list of which seals work off which stat? I know I spent most of the game using the beast seal on a dex build and wondering why they were doing no damage, and then there was another post that says how you can ignore the S/A/B scaling table, and now I find out they do different percentages?

Yeah you can check out the table here. The specific page for each seal shows what the scaling looks like at max level.

https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Sacred+Seals

The only seal that scales off dex at all is the frenzied flame seal.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

getting real good at parrying. finally had to work out the spear crucible knights, and learned to parry bell bearing hunters and godskin nobles too. feels cool, very satisfying. :3:

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Zodium posted:

speaking of leyndell, i will never get tired of killing the stupid draconic tree sentinel by sneaking up behind and casting poison mist. gently caress that guy

I wanted to beat this guy while a little underleveled fair and square, but he was wrecking me and I kept having to back up and heal. Ended up being pushed back to the cliff and then the dope jumped his horse right off the edge. I imagine a lot of people cheese the fight that way, but I wanted to win fair and square! Oh well ended up in Leyndell at like level 50.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

pushing bosses off cliffs is the best. i fought crucible knight siluria at the edge of a cliff and kept parrying/critical hitting him until i kicked his rear end right off with like 2/3 health left.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
that was a WOMAN

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

even better :evilbuddy:

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Zodium posted:

getting real good at parrying. finally had to work out the spear crucible knights, and learned to parry bell bearing hunters and godskin nobles too. feels cool, very satisfying. :3:

Parrying kaiden dudes or night cavalry off their horse is super good and fun.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Replaying this to prep for the DLC, and good lord, I'd forgotten how much I hate the quests in this game. Losing progress or even entire quests because I talked to the wrong NPC or went to zones in the wrong order is just terrible.

It's the worst kind of jank and an unfortunate black mark on an otherwise stellar game.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Skippy McPants posted:

Replaying this to prep for the DLC, and good lord, I'd forgotten how much I hate the quests in this game. Losing progress or even entire quests because I talked to the wrong NPC or went to zones in the wrong order is just terrible.

It's the worst kind of jank and an unfortunate black mark on an otherwise stellar game.

I used to feel this way but once you’ve done a few playthroughs you come to realize that the number of things that can cut off quests is actually pretty small. The big ones are stoking the giant’s flame and killing maliketh. Outside of those two there’s joining the volcano manor cuts off boggart, getting the fingerslayer blade cuts off seluvis… I think that’s it?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ariong posted:

getting the fingerslayer blade cuts off seluvis…

Is it getting the blade, or giving it to Ranni that does this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Ariong posted:

I used to feel this way but once you’ve done a few playthroughs you come to realize that the number of things that can cut off quests is actually pretty small. The big ones are stoking the giant’s flame and killing maliketh. Outside of those two there’s joining the volcano manor cuts off boggart, getting the fingerslayer blade cuts off seluvis… I think that’s it?

Walking too close to the Revenger's Shack.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Zodium posted:

pushing bosses off cliffs is the best. i fought crucible knight siluria at the edge of a cliff and kept parrying/critical hitting him until i kicked his rear end right off with like 2/3 health left.

Repulsion is good for this.
gently caress you, Siofra Aqueduct crucible knights!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Leyndell took me awhile the first time through because I didn't realize you could run up the big dragon wing.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Listerine posted:

Probably giving it to Ranni but if I wanted to get the magic scorpion charm I’d avoid grabbing it at all just in case. There’s a site of grace like 15 seconds away from it so you can easily come back and grab it anytime.

pseudorandom name posted:

Walking too close to the Revenger's Shack.

What does that cut off?

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

Ariong posted:

What does that cut off?

I think the Edgar invasion always occurs, so if you missed Weeping Peninsula and go here you can't do any of the quest involving his daughter or castle Morne. The only major consequence I think is you can't dip Varre's white cloth in her blood, and you can't summon him for the Misbegotten boss.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Listerine posted:

I think the Edgar invasion always occurs, so if you missed Weeping Peninsula and go here you can't do any of the quest involving his daughter or castle Morne. The only major consequence I think is you can't dip Varre's white cloth in her blood, and you can't summon him for the Misbegotten boss.

He also drops an (I think) +8 weapon that will completely gently caress up any low-level PVP build you might be trying for. Learned that one the hard way

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

I was under the impression Edgar doesn't invade there until you go through his sidequest, but even if that's true, you don't get anything important during that questline, and I would assume Hyetta would show up at the beginning of her questline if Irene is already dead.

Other than that, I think the only other missable thing unmentioned is the Extreme Repentance gesture you get from Patches before he moves to Liurnia.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Edgar's quest can get messy, but not f'd up. You need his invasion to get one of the shibiri grapes for Hyetta, but if you never did his quest he won't show up. Instead the grape can be found where he sits at Castle Morne.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Ariong posted:

Killing Morgott cuts off Nepheli and Kenneth's quests, Boggart is only cut off if you talk to him so he moves to Leyndell and you don't kill Dung Eater in the sewers, Fire Giant doesn't really cut off any quests that I recall, but killing Maliketh absolutely does.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Listerine posted:

Giving it to Ranni, I know this all too well :negative:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

its ok, the only quests that have actually good and unique rewards cant really be failed (alexander, ranni, millicent)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Skill issue.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I like Alexander but. He outlives his usefulness after Radahn at the best and I'm turning him into his talisman. Sorry buddy, I'm not waiting for Farum Azula for 5% more.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ariong posted:

Outside of those two there’s joining the volcano manor cuts off boggart,
Does it? I managed to both join volcano manor and kill rykard and he's still there selling crab, unless there's supposed to be more after that?

FLIPSIXTHREEHOLE
Dec 30, 2010

IMO Seluvis is the only one that is the synthesis of easy and painful to mess up, since you'll miss out on a very important talisman and it's really easy to get in a groove doing Ranni's quest and forget he has an abrupt departure point along that path. Agreed with above that the rest either don't give anything of note, or are really hard/impossible to mess up.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Does it? I managed to both join volcano manor and kill rykard and he's still there selling crab, unless there's supposed to be more after that?

I think it only messes up if you join the manor without ever encountering Rya, because then you don't know about him having her necklace.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bobby Deluxe posted:

If you start volcano manor before doing Rya's necklace thing then he won't bother selling you that crab.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ah fair enough, I did things in a weird order so I almost missed out on the delicious crab

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I didn't come across Rya in Liurnia until my fourth or fifth character got past that point in the game (the most recent one). I didn't even know you could find her there. I love that things like that can happen.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

this rl1 run rocks, and forced me to engage with mechanics like bows, crystal tears, affinities and parrying I never bothered much with before beyond the minimum. still sleeping on guard counters, but the shift+lmb feels awkward.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Zodium posted:

this rl1 run rocks, and forced me to engage with mechanics like bows, crystal tears, affinities and parrying I never bothered much with before beyond the minimum. still sleeping on guard counters, but the shift+lmb feels awkward.

If only there were a better way...

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

I like Alexander but. He outlives his usefulness after Radahn at the best and I'm turning him into his talisman. Sorry buddy, I'm not waiting for Farum Azula for 5% more.

Monstrous.

Seriously though, I'm running an Envoy's Long Horn build and needed the good talisman. Waiting until CFA was difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Was watching this challenge video, the mod they are using, Elden Ring Reforged, seems really intriguing, has anyone tried playing with it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j20epwohE1M